Do you wave or nod? Or not?

Down here in the deep south most riders are pretty friendly and for the most part we all give the down low left hand peace sign. There will always be the exception to the rule and as such you will get snubbed by some but I still give as much respect as possible and have gotten some pretty interesting responses while ripping around on my scoot from "What year Yamaha is that?" to "Nice Harley who built it?". No matter how the conversation starts it is always nice to have a conversation.

I wave to everyone else on a bike, no matter if what kinda bike they ride. And we always get waves back. I think it's because my fathers bike and mine are so cool. My father has a mint 72 XS and I have a Heritage Special with 13" ape hangers and forward pegs! Both with shorty Kraiger mufflers that sound awesome...

"Never made fun, simply linked and compared them. If you took offense its possibly because the shoe fits. So who cares? you do for one.

If you think its because I don't own one, you obviously missed my introduction. If you think I only own 2 bikes, your still wrong.

To get back on subject, if I ever pass you you'll still get a nod or wave."

I understand what is being observed here. Im 45 and have 2 teenagers. The boys their age whom are hipsters give the appearance of being very durable, hands on gritty-willing to git into a scrap kinda old skool men. In reality these boys have never even put the chain back on a bicycle or checked the oil in a car. Im not casting insults. Its simple irony that a Brawny paper towel looking man shys away from anything that causes calluses.

Soooo is this a wave or no wave situation.
Kinda afraid of pissing him off and I'm not sure which way to go.

Attachments

• Predator Bike in Thailand.jpg
    Predator Bike in Thailand.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 151
Okay, dressing tips aside, I can see that man wanted to make a sculpture of a dragon. That said, with all that cash in chrome and paint... what is that a rusty oil bag or a beat up brown leather pouch hanging off the side?

Just smile and wave boys, Smile and wave...

...Then again if I were him and someone commented on the bag, I'de have laughed and asked "...would you have said anything if that wasn't there?"

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don’t Wave Back
10. Wasn’t sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid they might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn’t find the “auto wave back” button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Adventure Riders Don’t Wave Back

10. Your bike wasn’t running 21/18 wheel combo.
9. Disgusted to see you didn’t have 2 sets of LED aux lights and banks of switches to control them
8. Started to wave, but pulled back when they didn’t see any overloaded waterproof duffel bags strapped on the back.
7. Looked away because you didn’t have knobbies on your bike.
6. Noticed your lack of full aftermarket titanium exhaust system.
5. Hard to wave when in full-attack stand-up riding mode.
4. Didn’t see any immaculate custom hard panniers on your bike with tastefully applied ‘cred’ stickers.
3. You didn’t have the latest GPS, trick Roadbook and studly ICO’s mounted on your bike.
2. You weren’t wearing a proper Adventure helmet or Adventure boots.
1. You weren’t sporting the latest matching Klim Adventure suit and accessories.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don’t Wave At All

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they’re supposed to.
9. They’re going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren’t wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they’ll rip it out of the socket.
6. They’re too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don’t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It’s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

I don't have too many friends on sport bikes, but even among the custom chopper/bobber crowd I've seen the flip flops/tank top combo. Worst one yet is with the above and earbuds in with the Ipod playing.

I've warned my friend he is at a severe risk like that, he just shrugs.

I do. I feel it is just like waving when on a boat. You never know if your gona see them again.. Its a mutual recognition, respect..

Back