E3 Spark Plugs

Its just another marketing gimmick,

I would normally have to agree with you. Last weekend on an episode of Engine Power on Spike they did a feature on the plugs. They also did a feature in the past when the show was call Horsepower. Even the show Gears has done a feature on the plugs. Have seeing last weekends feature I have to wonder if they are as good as they claim.

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/EP2014-16/barely-legal-mustang-part-3-cockpit-tech (available to watch online on 7/27)

Those shows are paid for and filled with the products of auto-parts companies. Take it with a grain of salt.

So are you saying that the shows are fake or that they are lying to the viewers when they provide info on products?

Well they aren't fake, I don't know how one of them could be 'fake.' I watch them as well, and enjoy them. But like I said, they are usually sponsored by a few particular companies, and it seems to me that they are told what to include in the 'product highlight' sections. Which is why I said take it with a grain of salt, not that they're lying.

The features were never just a highlight section. They were a full on dedicated feature. Did you watch last Saturday's Engine Power?

So are you saying that the shows are fake or that they are lying to the viewers when they provide info on products?

You're naive as to how the world works. When selling products they call this "marketing". In politics they call it "spin". Hyperbole, is another word that fits this common practice.

Any TV show that receives money from advertisers, is required to embellish their products. That's how business works. They take a grain of truth, and add ficticious exadgerations. So yes they are lying in many cases.

A good example is car or bike magazines. Have you ever noticed that their feature articles never say anything bad about the test vehicles. Guess what................the manufacturer of the test vehicle spends a lot of money on advertising in the magazine. If the writer was to tell the truth, perhaps pointing out some weak, or poorly designed areas of the test vehicle, he would be fired by the magazine.

You're naive as to how the world works. When selling products they call this "marketing". In politics they call it "spin". Hyperbole, is another word that fits this common practice.

Any TV show that receives money from advertisers, is required to embellish their products. That's how business works. They take a grain of truth, and add ficticious exadgerations. So yes they are lying in many cases.

A good example is car or bike magazines. Have you ever noticed that their feature articles never say anything bad about the test vehicles. Guess what................the manufacturer of the test vehicle spends a lot of money on advertising in the magazine. If the writer was to tell the truth, perhaps pointing out some weak, or poorly designed areas of the test vehicle, he would be fired by the magazine.

I am so not naive...LOL...You guys crack me up...I work for a marking company.

Do you really think that every spark plug regardless of brand performs the same? Do you really think that a spark is just a spark?

The thing about spark plugs is that you can achieve better gas mileage and a bit more power just by changing the plugs, even if you install a new one of the exact same plug that you removed. New plugs are like that. Until you put a few miles on them and they start to carbon up a bit and the spark isn't so well defined anymore. So, if you install these miracle "E3's" you will in fact see improved gas mileage, but what you need to do is check it again after 1,000 miles and you will see that the mileage is back to what it was before you installed them! So, that's the smoke and mirrors. People will check the mileage when they install them but not check again later but claim improved mileage.

It's just like clean socks. You smell much better when you first put them on, but after a couple of days, they start to smell bad again!! :eek:

I think I have tried every gimmick plug ever made , "V" type, Split fire , Gold ,Platinum, Iridium , Unobtainium , you name it , every brand . All work great when new , I have IX plugs in my bike now , but none are any good once they foul . That said, some brands of plug just seem to work better in certain engines , I had two stroke MX bikes in the '70s , the Elsinore Hondas didn't like Champion plugs , ran great on NGK and my Can Ams didn't run worth a shit on NGK. My XS had Champion plugs in it when I got it and seemed to run OK on them ,but switching to the IX plug made a noticeable improvement in performance .

I've worked with and used many different types of sparkplugs. Conventional, u-groove, surface-gap, splitfire, aircraft 2 and 4 lug, platinum, iridium, side-gap, etc.

They all work, some better than others, some loose their performance edge quickly, some last a long time and are very serviceable, some only work well in specific applications. Some pretty wild designs out there.

My college roommate was a marketing major, a fun and fascinating field. He taught me a bunch of tricks, handy when trying to weed thru the fluff. I think most of us tech types would prefer to sidestep the marketing and go through the research.

That E3 looks like another mousetrap. I personally don't care for having a bunch of groundlug metal dangling out there, goes against my principles, makes me nervous.

That said, I'll probably get some, see what happens...

I am so not naive...LOL...You guys crack me up...I work for a marking company.

Do you really think that every spark plug regardless of brand performs the same? Do you really think that a spark is just a spark?

I don't know what a marking company is.

Yes, I do think spark plugs are much the same regardless of brand. If you want a long lasting plug then its worthwhile to pay more for iridium plugs.

The quality of a spark comes mainly from the design of the ignition coil and the design of ignition triggering device. That's why I use an Accel coil and a Pamco (E-advance) to fire my coil and plugs. I get a nice fat blue spark. The spark plug is just the last device in the chain, and pretty much any plug of reasonable quality will work just fine.

I don't know what a marking company is.

Sorry for the typo. Meant to say marketing company.

Yes, I do think spark plugs are much the same regardless of brand. If you want a long lasting plug then its worthwhile to pay more for iridium plugs.

The quality of a spark comes mainly from the design of the ignition coil and the design of ignition triggering device. That's why I use an Accel coil and a Pamco (E-advance) to fire my coil and plugs. I get a nice fat blue spark. The spark plug is just the last device in the chain, and pretty much any plug of reasonable quality will work just fine.

You my friend may be considered naive...

Best performance improvement I've ever experienced is dual-plug heads.

You guys that have done mag drops during pre-flight runups know this...

The reason that two plugs are better than one in your typical aircraft engine is because the magnetos are just barely adequate to fire the mixture by themselves. It's not so much an improvement as a necessity. It's the same reason that many twin engine aircraft have two engines. It's not so much about redundancy as it is the fact that the airplane cannot climb on one engine. I used to do practice engine outs in my Skymaster with a real feathered shutdown and even lightly loaded it could barely climb, especially on the front engine.

skymaster2.jpg

Back