Electrical Troubleshooting - Turn signals!

COKid

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm working on a 81 Special and I'm having an electrical issue I'm trying to troubleshoot. I'm trying to change my turn signals and can't get any power to the signals. I recently replaced the entire wiring harness. I have power across the board with both my headlamp and brake light working, however my 10A signal popped. When replaced the fuse now I draws all the power and basically shorts the bike, leaving me with no power to the headlamp or brake light. If I remove the new signal fuse I get power to everything again.

I originally thought that my turn signal relay might be bad, i.e. its shorted internally and not allowing connection to the brown wire/power wire, but I honestly just don't know. Could this be the problem? How do test the relay to see if its still good?

I also thought it could be the regulator/rectifier. How would I test to see if that's still good?

Just to recap for my own sake: the bike runs/has power/electric start works, I have a headlight and tailight, but no turnsignals because the fuse blows. Replaced the blown fuse with a new 10A, albiet a longer glass 10A, and it draws the power from the bike.

Its blowing my mind right now.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

COKid;

There are several loads that could have a short circuit. Find the problem by the process of elimination. Remove the bulbs from each of the turn signals, disconnect the flasher relay,disconnect the horn, disconnect the front and rear brake switches. Install a new fuse, and then start re-connecting these items in the reverse order, until the fuse blows again.

As an aside, its highly recommended that you replace the original (glass fuse) fuse holders with automotive blade type fuse holders. Those original fuse holders are worn out and will cause electrical problems.

An update:

I detached all connectors in the wiring harnes plus all turn signal wires and began reattaching one by one. One small victory was that I narrowed the problem with the signal indicators power to the cancel unit. I reattached all harnesses except the cancel unit and the indicators began to work and flash.

Now the next problem came. The signal fuse is still blowing when throttle is applied. I can park the bike and the signal work and flash. However, when I start riding the bike and applying throttle then the signal fuse blows.

My thoughts are back to the regulator/rectifier. Seems like its not "regulating" the power and thereby causing too much power through the brown wire.

Any ideas?

Don't know about your r/r, but you may want to consider removing the self-canceling unit entirely - it will cancel your turn signal someday when you're in the middle of an intersection, waiting to turn. I got tired of having to pay more attention to whether my signal was on that to the traffic around me.

Update: I removed the self canceling unit and replaced the regulator/rectifier and the signal fuse keeps blowing.

I'm stuck now as I'm not sure what the next steps are.

Any suggestions?

In the turn signal switch itself, there are often problems caused at the fsactory. Poor soldering of the wires. If one has come loose it can short to ground. Higher revs with the increased vibration just makes it worse.
Pull the left side switch housing apart and look inside. It is probably dirty inside as well.
Leo

so I am having a similar problem with my turn signals on a 1980 Special, I have right turn signals front/rear but no left turn signals at all. They worked when I picked up the bike when bought but are not working now. I checked my fuses and they are good. I am going to take the switch on the bars apart and see if something is loose but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Yes start with the switch --- service that then come back.
I would check the relay next

so I decided to pull the headlight and check in there to see if all was connected properly, I pulled all the bullet connectors apart and put back together several times and put the headlight back together and now I have turn signals all around !! We used to call that FM in the Corps (F-----g Magic) as I was a communicator and radios were always a mystery, thanks again for the response.

Back