Engine removal

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13814

Here is a thread of another member who made a video of removing a 650 engine. I've only done it once, so I dont have a bunch of tricks, but its probably a good idea to drain the oil and remove as much weight off the engine as possible. If you are working by yourself and dont have some time of lift set up to pull the engine out, you can always resort to lying the bike on its side and unbolt the engine and then lift the frame off.

Take a look at my method. Very simple to build and and control removal and installation. You can always manhandle the thing but there are usually consequences to your back or newly painted frame. I just used threaded rod at the top,top rear,and front mounts.Located their position on a 2x2 1/2 panel and reinforced with spare 2x6 pieces. On the back of the 2x2 panel I pounded those threaded inserts with the teeth to hold the rod. I believe I used 1/2 and 3/8 rod. You will need to double check hole size.

Attachments

• XS2 147.jpg
    XS2 147.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,142
  • XS2 160.jpg
    XS2 160.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 932
  • XS2 158.jpg
    XS2 158.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 862
  • XS2 157.jpg
    XS2 157.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 986
  • XS2 154.jpg
    XS2 154.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 950
  • XS2 148.jpg
    XS2 148.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,070
Last edited:
OakBehringer;

With this method, once the engine is laying on the garage floor, how do you get it up onto a work bench? Isn't there a possibility of hurting your back while moving it from the floor to the bench?

With mine once I get the frame off I bolt on my engine stand, tilt it to the floor and take it apart to a more manageable weight or grab the next door neighbor for a quick hand to the bench.

Attachments

• XS2 106.jpg
    XS2 106.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 471
  • XS2 107.jpg
    XS2 107.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 527
  • XS2 109.jpg
    XS2 109.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 496
Thanks everyone for the great advice !! I am sure it will help. I am going to do the disconnecting myself and get a second person to help me with the actual removal.

ive taken my engine out 6-7 times, by myself, bike standing up, out the left side. same with going in. and when it comes out it goes right to the bench, cause if i hurt myself and dont know it yet i dont want to have to pick it back up. i usually have nice bruises on my forearms for a couple days.

i take all the motor mounts out besides the bottom and use some 2x4's and other scrap pieces of whatever to basically float the last bottom bolt, pull that out and shimmy the motor out. watch your fingers!

then again, ive never had a paint job that i gave a shit about, i will be doing something to protect the frame upon insertion late this winter after i paint the frame.

OakBehringer;

With this method, once the engine is laying on the garage floor, how do you get it up onto a work bench? Isn't there a possibility of hurting your back while moving it from the floor to the bench?

Lift with your legs, not your back.

or this:

Invite the neighbors over to look at your bike and drink beer with you. Then when you walk in just fake a little surprise and say something like, "Oh I forgot I just left that there. While you are all here maybe you could help me lift it onto the bench ..."

i came from a town where noone gave a shit about noise. it would be 2am i would be drunk as shit blasting death metal and grinding on shit, to a quite neighborhood where the street is quiet at 9pm. ive been trying hard, but needless to say my neighbors are either to old to hold a screw driver, or they hate me. so they engine comes out alone....

OakBehringer;

I guess that depends on your back, doesn't it? I'm a wimp, but I was able to comfortably lift it from the floor to a chair to the bench. A straight lift might have been pushing it. That being said I hurt my back really bad lifting a KZ440 motor a couple months later. Drrrrrrrr.

My back usually only REALLY hurts for a day or two, then it goes back to it's grumpy grouchy normal self.

Take a look at my method. Very simple to build and and control removal and installation. You can always manhandle the thing but there are usually consequences to your back or newly painted frame. I just used threaded rod at the top,top rear,and front mounts.Located their position on a 2x2 1/2 panel and reinforced with spare 2x6 pieces. On the back of the 2x2 panel I pounded those threaded inserts with the teeth to hold the rod. I believe I used 1/2 and 3/8 rod. You will need to double check hole size.

Most excellent idea Cra-z1. I just may steal that one!

DO NOT LIFT BY YOURSELF!!! I am 250lbs and not too fat ( I work out) I removed my engine by myself and carried it all over the garage. I will not carry it by myself anymore. Back injuries NEVER heal 100% and hernias? I want none of it. I did remove my engine with the bike on the centerstand. Finaggled the engine up and over and out of the frame on the throttle side. Have an extra set of hands!

100_0278.jpg

I just too a ratchet strap and looped that under the back end of the case and stuck my arm through the loop. Grapped the head with my other arm and pulled it out the right side. Was more difficult getting it in the stand than anything else. Definitely going to do something different when I put it back in though.

If you guys are lifting with your backs you are in trouble. As said earlier lift with your legs. These engines weigh 165# at the most. I found out that it is a one man job to remove the engine. If you want help when it is out that would be great. I also agree with the lay it down method. I used this on my BSA a-65 and it works great.

Last edited:
Back