equalizer hose with interal coil spring

cheftay

Keepin' it real
Reaction score
Hey guys i replaced the equalizer tube on my XS1B on the bottom on the intake with just a regular hose( no interal spring) and i'm noticing that it's sucking the hose together and causing it to kink because of the vacuum. Could I just shove a spring from the hardware store into that hose or is there another way to remedy this?

Thanks!

Taylor

Last edited:
I think they are only from 70-71
YamXS650ClymerManualdragged.jpg

I would think as long as the spring is big enough that in can't get sucked into one of the intakes you should be good to go. Or cap off the ports, they did decide it wasn't needed.

"what about connecting the breather tubes to them?.... "
nope that would be a bad idea. It won't run if you do that.

Are we talking about the vacuum ports on each carb used for synching or operating a vacuum petcock? MIne are capped oof, but it sounds like a good idea to run a hose between the carbs to smooth out engine operation. A piece of fuel line should do the trick and won't collapse.

- not quite GJ...scroll up to post #4..in fig 53 you can see the balance pipe between both cylinder intakes...they were only there for XS1-XS1F models

Any merit to my idea of connecting the 2 vacuum ports? I recall on Kawa forum it was suggested for ZR-7S to smooth out the engine.

For a fact it's cheap to try so do it and tell us what you think. But if it made much difference the factory wouldn't have eliminated the big one they fitted or would cast a balance tube into the intakes? In the back of my mind I have thought if you had the tube only one carb would have to have an idle and choke circuit the other could just shut all the way off.

After you get the carbs properly set up, jets, mix screws, sync. Hooking the two vacuum ports together will further balance the cylinders. A bit smoother, a bit better throttle response.
Almost forgot what started this thread. Adding a spring inside the hose is a good way to prevent collapse. Do you still have the original hose? Use the spring from that.
I think the spring should be a snug fit in the hose to keep it in the hose.

my original hose was dried completely up and the spring collapsed along with it. I found some boots stop off the ports if i want to go that route...

It wouldn't matter quite as much to have carbs perfect from side to side if the hose is connected, right?

Back