Expanded charging system guide (In progress)

Early charging diagram

View attachment 54959

May I add two annotated versions that show nominal resistances.

ChargingColor2.jpg

Regulator2.jpg

I hve a 82-83 xs650 im looking at a stator can i use any year stator????
|If you are still using the TCI ignition you need a late stator, 1980 up so it has the mounts for the ignition pickups. Also the late stater typically comes with the right brush block to work with a late model "ground side" regulator. IF you aren't using the TCI ignition you could move your late brush holder onto an early (pre 80) stator. The wiring plugs are compatible.

Thanks for adding the values to the diagrams 2many!

If you start removing screws from a TCI stator you pay need to attention to the lengths and where they go. Many have put a long screw in the wrong hole and ground a deep gouge in a slip ring.

One that looks like that? 1980 and up
What's wrong with yours?
I have tested good stators.

Page 1, Post 4,........... scroll down that post and it shows the connector, from the Stator, and the 3 white wires that need to be checked against each other

ok so if I did it the wright way it looks like my stator is bad. I took the white wires from the stator and the white wires from the reg/rec. I separated them then I took the multimeter and touched 1 probe on the stator side then the other probe to the reg side. I had the multimeter set at 10x omes and the needle never moved on all 3 wires. did I do it the correct way?????? thanks

No that's not it, try again. Test white wire to white wire, all on the stator side of the plug. there are three combinations to test, all should read about .5 ohm and all 3 should agree. then test white wires to ground also on the stator side of the plug, the needle shouldn't move.

Wiring diagram for an Early 70-79 charging system.

View attachment 55230

No, never test ohms with voltage in the circuit. But since the connector is unplugged it doesn't matter. :wink2:

ok so I did the test and white wire to white wire I didn't get .5 I got .2 then they where all the same, then I did the white wire to ground on the battery and the needle never moved so im thinking I have a bad stator. what is ya'lls thoughts thanks for all the help

Back