External oil cooler

I have never heard of those sellers. I have not seen that adapter either. If it's just a cover with the hose barbs in it then it won't do much. It needs to have more on the back side. It needs to seal the oil passage from the oil pump to one of those hose barbs. The other has to be sealed to the oil passage to the engine.
With out these features oil won't flow out to a cooler or filter, or return.
I have modded a right side cover to allow the attachment of fittings that do work.
Do a bit of a search on "oil coolers" and you will find this info.
When you get it, would you post pics of it from the back as well as post the install instructions?
Leo

So, this is what the backside of that adapter looks like:

full

Clever adapter. But, there's no filtration, so must add an external filter as well...

Agreed.
If I choose to upgrade my sump filter to the heiden type, and do an oil change every 1000 miles, would I be ok?
Don't really want to have more external plumbing if possible.
Any thoughts?

I suppose running the heiden sump filter alone would suffice. With this adapter, you easily have the option of a paper-type filter whenever you wish...

That looks like a nice piece. Take note that it eliminates the oil filter as well and what that means is you will get very high flow on startup with a cold engine which can lead to the premature failure of the sump screen. But, on the other hand, I think that happens anyway when the relief valve opens on a cold engine. You may want to consider installing an oil pressure gauge to monitor the pressure as the engine warms up. A 0 to 20 PSI gauge will accommodate the nominal 15 PSI oil pressure.

The pressure generally shows 3 to 5 PSI and zero pressure at idle, so this brings up the issue of possibly using MikesXS's high flow oil pump, especially if you are going to have both a cooler and a filter. If you are going to use the high flow pump, then you definitely need the oil pressure gauge as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete,
The main reason I don't want to go for one of those spin on filters as an option is that I think they're ugly.
On ebay they have some pretty nifty Peterson NASCAR inline filters.

Anyone know what micron rating I should be looking at?

If I remember correctly:
The stock screens filter down to 100-200 microns.
Budget auto filters filter down to 20 microns
The best Fram filters filter down to 10 microns
The best Amsoil filter (the dual-filtration bypass filtration system) filters down to 5 microns

Always wondered what the filtration rating would've been on the early Triumph crank sludge trap and early Honda cone-shaped centrifugal filtration system.

Supposedly, when you get down to 5 microns, the oil always appears clean, no dark discoloration...

Thanks twomany!
Now please excuse my extended ignorance around these things, but surely there would be an oil pressure issue if the micron size is too small?

:-/

Two many and GoodEnough,

That's fine, but remember that the oil pump has to be able to push the oil through the filter. As I mentioned above, although it is a nominal 15 PSI system, in reality the pressure is less than 5 PSI and that's with the stock screen type filter on the pump side of the filter.

Are you saying that an external or other type of filter will need a specific flow rate?
Makes sense.
What would u suggest as a micron rating, Pete?

GoodEnough,

The stock oil pump is designed for a 100 to 200 micron filter (per TwoMany). The pressure with the stock filter is below 5 PSI and down to zero at idle, so I would think that you cannot go any finer with the stock oil pump. Even if you use a filter with a larger area, like a pleated paper filter, the pressure will go up on the pump side as the filter accumulates particles. The paradox here is that if you do use a finer filter, the pressure on the pump side may actually increase, but that just means that the flow has been reduced on the engine side of the filter, hence my suggestion to use Mikes high flow pump, but then you may encounter excessive flow at low temperatures which could hole the sump filter, so install a gauge to monitor the pressure when starting cold until the engine has warmed up.

Back