Feels like I'm pulling a boat

btxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bike seemed to run great all summer but I couldn't help feeling like it was towing something behind when I took off. I'm not a big guy but it feels like it's dragging something. Mechanically, everything seems fine (has less than 3,500 miles on it). I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the 34mm roundslide carbs? Or maybe it's got something to do with my cheap pod filters covering up the air screws?

The bike in stock trim is has 50 crank hp, about 42 at the rear wheel. If your used to riding a bigger bike it may seem a bit slow off the line. What sprocket set are you using? The stock 17/34 should come off the line ok. The smaller rear sprockets like a 30 can make it a bit doggy off the line.
As far as the pods go, try Uni-filters.

A dragging disk brake will feel like that too. Did that on a honda 1100F a couple of years ago, generally the brake will heat up and stop the bike eventually. The rear disk was nearly glowing red!

Since you have BS38 carbs, I assume you have mechanical advance.Have you checked the ignition advance with a timing light. If its not advancing fully, then the motor will be very weak. Make sure that the fly-weights on the ATU are moving freely and going fully outward.

Back