Firestone ANS 16 x 5.00 clearance in stock frame?

tom4130

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone may be able to answer this one for me before I go shelling out the $$.

I know that loads of people run firestone deluxe 5.00 x 16 tires in the stock frame with what I am assuming is a decent amount of clearance.

I am looking to go for the Firestone ANS, seen here:
(https://www.cokertire.com/500-16-firestone-ans-motorcycle.html)

I just wondered if anyone has seen or done this tire in the stock frame, and also if anyone has any ideas for making a little more clearance if there isnt enough? for example chain rubbing etc.

Cheers Fellas.

I understand your concern.
They show an unusually large section width and diameter for that size.
Doesn't sound right for a 5.00x16.
Perhaps contact the seller for confirmation on that listed size?

I understand your concern.
They show an unusually large section width and diameter for that size.
Doesn't sound right for a 5.00x16.
Perhaps contact the seller for confirmation on that listed size?

Good idea TwoManyXS1Bs

Yeah i mean that difference is equivalent to an extra 10mm in width, and I'm not exactly sure how tight even a Firestone Deluxe is in the swing arm, but I'd say an extra 10mm is significant.

scabber, thanks man.

Front is a Duro hf308 4.00 x 19. I could have got a matching Firestone 4.00 x 19 but they are ridiculously expensive. I chose the Duro because it has a very similar tread as the firestone and can be found for less than half the price! It is also a DOT approved tire too.

I guess that rear tire is large after all. Seems to completely fill the swingarm. It would be cool if you could do PamcoPete's chalkmark circumference measurement...

Yeah TwoManyXS1Bs I think you sent me that in my build thread. I plan on doing that when I have a little time. Its funny because although the tire is really ballooned and tall, there is actually a lot of clearance, Way more than you may think. I will take photos down the swingarm for reference

Generally tire that are sized as a 5.00-16 are a 100 % aspect ratio. This means the tire height is the same as the section width. This would make it slightly narrower than the stock 130 which is a 5.10 But being a 100% aspect ration makes it just as tall if not taller.
I'll run it through my calculator. 5.00 x 100%=5.00, 5.00 x 2=10, 10 +16 is 26 inches.
The 5.00-16 is 26 inches tall.
Now the 130/90-16, Convert the 130 to inches is 130 Divided by 25.4+ 5.11, 5.11 x 90% = 4.59, 4.59 x 2 =9.18, 9.18 + 16 = 25.18.
So the 5.00 is about .82 taller, and .11 narrower.
Your tire may measure a bit more or less depending on rim width.
Leo

scabber, thanks man.

Front is a Duro hf308 4.00 x 19. I could have got a matching Firestone 4.00 x 19 but they are ridiculously expensive. I chose the Duro because it has a very similar tread as the firestone and can be found for less than half the price! It is also a DOT approved tire too.
Hey Tom sorry to revive old thread. Love the look and size of your tires.

Have up completed the bike? What did you do for fenders.

I am going to go with your sized but spoke so looking for a 16" spoke rim.

How wide is your rear and front rim?

thanks for info
Rich

Hey Tom sorry to revive old thread. Love the look and size of your tires.

Have up completed the bike? What did you do for fenders.

I am going to go with your sized but spoke so looking for a 16" spoke rim.

How wide is your rear and front rim?

thanks for info
Rich
@Bullcrappy,

here is my old build thread with photos, I never ran fenders on them.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39129&page=5

I just got another bike with a 19 & 16 spoked which I will use the same tire set up on. Not sure of the rim widths but they are stock so you should be all good clearance wise.

Back