Foot clutch

Just one guy's opinion, but the the idea of converting a Japanese parallel twin motorcycle to foot clutch and hand shift makes me cringe--not because the mod is dangerous (of course it is), but because it's phony. It isn't "old school." It isn't "traditional." It isn't even "creative" or "artistic." It's fake.

Just one guy's opinion, but the the idea of converting a Japanese parallel twin motorcycle to foot clutch and hand shift makes me cringe--not because the mod is dangerous (of course it is), but because it's phony. It isn't "old school." It isn't "traditional." It isn't even "creative" or "artistic." It's fake.
it is fun. stock bikes suck, in my opinion.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...
I think it's interesting, but the bike I modded for that only stayed that way for about 100 miles and I changed it back.... and it definitely felt better !.... on a chopper it would be allot funner I think, but I've never had a chopper, always wanted one, but never got one ! many are totally impractical but many are not and look darn cool too.... it's a case of different strokes for different folks !
Bob....

yes indeed back on track..... You could add a stop for the peddle fairly easily so it can't travel beyond a certain point that would cure the Going so far the worm comes out....
there's a few ways to do that that wouldn't stick out too much .... in close to the pivot point add a piece of metal to limit the motion of the pivot
so the peddle itself would hit the metal tang and stop it. or you could use a sleeve for the pivot and slot a pin to hold on the peddle and limit the travel or rotation.... in a one bolt cures 2 problems type of thing.
Bob.........

From this blog. http://art-of-motorcycles.onsugar.com/?

The name ‘Curtiss’ somewhat vaguely interprets in my mind as something to do with aeroplanes and something of having a tussle or an association with the Wright Brothers for some issues I can’t recall what I might have read years ago. Well, hence forth from now on, at certain age of my life, even if I forget the name of the Wright brothers, I will not forget the name of ‘Curtiss’. Of course I never knew that he was also given the name of “The Fastest Man on Earth”.
So, Glenn Hammond Curtiss was a pioneer in aeronautics and we will get to a brief history about that, but before venturing into aeronautics, Glenn H. Curtiss began his career by working with motorcycles. In fact, it was due to his innovative ways in creating motorcycles, light and powerful due to which his expertise was sought in the field of aeronautics. But the reason this man is featured here is because in the field of aeronautics, he had built a light and powerful V8 engine and later he converted the engine to a motorcycle engine. And we know which age we are talking about if we are taking about the Wright Brothers, right!. Yes, that was the 1900s. Think about it, a V8 in early 19th century. Exactly, Mr. Glenn H. Curtiss built a Boss Hoss in 1906.
The engine was there, so basically Curtiss and his team needed a chassis to holster the massive powerplant. They ultimately built a product that weighed 275 pounds and, was almost 8 feet long. Curtiss took the motorcycle to the Florida Speed Carnival in 1907 and recorded a speed of 136.3 mph (218 kmph, yes, in 1907) which gave him the title of ‘The Fastest Man on Earth’. And mark this, the record stood for any, repeat any land speed record and not just for 2 wheelers. The black and white pictures with the man are from that speed run and that was also the man’s attire. A gentleman wearing a leather cap and a trimmed moustache could do that, well I could have never imagined or believed had I not read about that. It was January 24, 1907 to be precise at the Ormond Beach (now called Daytona Beach) in Florida when the record was set and it was after 11 years another land speed vehicle broke the record and 23 years till another 2 wheeler broke the record.

that is absolutely amazing ! I bet he hand built that engine ! or darn close to it..... do you know if it was a 2 stroke of 4 stroke ?
I cannot imagine going 136.3 MPH on THAT bike..... I would be scared to take it to 70mph ! LOL
Bob......

Do a google search and i'm sure you will be able to answer your questions.............maybe post up any info you find

I actually cannot tell if it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke .... but I think it's 2 stroke looks like a single side draft carb per side...
very short header pipes exiting in the front.... Looks like, and its a wonder it didn't burn the sparkplug wires in half ! LOL it was a shaft drive , not sprockets and chain.... 40 hp was all the engine was rated at.... but in those days that was more than A Lot !
all in all a remarkable man !
that's all the info I could find on the bike, most of it was on aviation which is what he was Noted for .... but it seams he was a prolific inventor as well !
Bob......

Attachments

• imageone1.jpg
    imageone1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 92
Yes I agree it fake or phony to convert to a foot clutch that never came on the bike but I also think its fake to change the bike from stock with a electronic ignition or a upgraded charging system. Bike never came stock with that either. I myself build for what I like and in the past what the customer wanted. I have done foot conversions on XS650 Triumph 650 BSA 650 Honda 750 and sportsters yes none of them came from the factory like that but in the eyes of the customer that is what they wanted. Is it cool maybe is it hard to ride yes. But to me if you change your handlebars or change you tank or your seat that is what you wanted to do and if you want foot clutch again its your choice . Cutting up a bike to make it whatever you want or changing the electronics is just a change . I get it that there are a lot of people who choose to keep there bike stock and ride a stock bike. I just was never that guy and I started choppin at age 14 now I am 66 and could not count the bikes that I did. Made great friends along the way and will keep doing it until I close my eyes. On here you got a great amount of people who have built more than 10 bikes and you need to read good and bad reviews of what you are asking to do and the bottom line DECIDE YOURSELF and build as safe as you can.
KEEP CHOPPIN
RICH

These 2 pic are from 1975XS650's thread. Post him he may be able to help out..........
http://www.xs650.com/threads/1975-xs650.50508/

View attachment 106679 View attachment 106680
I'm sure there are different ways, recent thread came to mind

Youst to love it when people, (acquaintances), found out i was a carpenter........ would get the .......could you do this little job for me i't's simple and will only take 5 min. Yea right, f it was so simple and took so little time why couldn't they do it.........lol
As an electrical contractor I get that all the time.

Back