found this in my filter today..

jmink427

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Metal! I didn't see any on the plug magnet but found it in the second filter.... Oil pump? :(

temporary-43.jpg

Actually, that might be kinda normal. Most of these motors are pretty grungy inside because the oil was never changed (or filters cleaned) often enough by P.O.s. It may take you many thousands of miles w/ changes and filter cleanings @ 1000 before your filters start coming out really clean. It takes a while to really flush these motors out.

It's not aluminum, it's magnetic... I replaced the main filter in the fall I hope it isn't already torn...... I hope it's like 5twins says, just from the previous owner...

I see that in Mine.
I assume its from the Cam chain guide. Coming up on 50,000 miles I just change the oil every 1000 and clean the screens every other oil change. I haven't had the guts to open up the motor yet but its getting time. Summer commute about 300 miles a week for years hasn't been a problem so far But I don't like it.

if I bought a sump filter from mikes in the last 6 months it should have the reinforced screen, right?

Yes, you have the "reinforced" screen, but they will still rip eventually. It took my sump filter 4 seasons until it ripped. If you start up the bike and let it rev high with cold oil, it will rip sooner. JB weld does a good job.

Attachments

• After 4 years sump repair rev 1.JPG
    After 4 years sump repair rev 1.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 93
Metal! I didn't see any on the plug magnet but found it in the second filter.... Oil pump? :(

temporary-43.jpg

Changed the oil again today about 1500 miles since the last time and the second filter (screen) looked the same as last time...... This is starting to worry me a bit... I'm not getting any on the oil plug magnet, but the material is magnetic...... Does anyone have a oil flow diagram..... If there was some in the crank case would it not be on the magnet? I'm still wondering about the oil pump??? :confused:

Well, if your sump filter is OK, then the debris must be coming from the oil pump. That's easy to fix. But, have another look at the sump filter. It's possible to have a tear in the sump filter screen that only opens up when there is oil flowing, so press your finger all around the filter screen itself and feel for weakness. There is junk in the sump going all the way back to when the engine was built and it just needs a path to migrate up to the filter.

Make one of these and you'll never replace a sump filter again: http://usedservicemanuals.blogspot.com/2012/02/xs650-yamaha-sump-filter-shields.html

Or I can make one for you. It doesn't replace the sump filter nor does it repair a torn sump filter but it does allow for the filter to flow all the oil it was intended to flow. I make mine from one piece 1/16" galvanized steel and don't recommend anything thinner or multiple pieces as vibration might be a problem with anything less.

Well, the simplest thing to do to keep the sump screen from holing is to warm up the engine completely and keep the revs below 2,000 after starting for a few minutes. The thing that puts the holes in the screen is the very thick oil being sucked through the screen when cold. The pressure relief is on the filter and when it opens due to the increased pressure on startup with thick oil, it actually increases the flow through the sump screen while bypassing the filter.

I replaced the torn screen on my trusty '78/E back in '96 when I first got the bike. It had about 18,000 miles on it then. I rode that bike until 2009 and put an additional 62,000 miles in it. I checked the sump screen about once a year and the same non upgraded OEM screen was good all the way to 80,000 miles.

I think that Yamaha made a mistake when they moved the pressure relief valve from the oil pump to the filter.

OP how does your e-start work? Those that grind/bump and hang seems to have more
trash in the filter.

General question. If the filter is sucking why is the screen always blown out?
I see plenty bulging out but almost never see one with the screen sucked in?

OP how does your e-start work? Those that grind/bump and hang seems to have more
trash in the filter.

Yeah, my starter isn't the best... I kick it about half the times I ride it battery is crap and won't crank it very long...

First, there is a ton of information here on sump filters and repairs ect. As for why the sump screen is blown out sometimes, has to do with oil flow and hydraulic principles. The oil pump stops rotating (in fact, comes to a complete stop) twice each revolution. When the oil is cold this starting and stopping creates a oscillating pressure wave that eventually cracks the brass screen where it's not supported.

trash in the filter.

Screens are most likely blown out backwards from back pressure caused by the flywheels splashing in the oil. Not related to the oil pump.

First, there is a ton of information here on sump filters and repairs ect. As for why the sump screen is blown out sometimes, has to do with oil flow and hydraulic principles. The oil pump stops rotating (in fact, comes to a complete stop) twice each revolution. When the oil is cold this starting and stopping creates a oscillating pressure wave that eventually cracks the brass screen where it's not supported.

I'd like for someone to explain to me how that is possible as the oil pump is gear driven from the crank and the crank never stops turning.

Back