frame id question

stevec8831

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just want to confirm the year frame I have. the serial number on the neck is S650-023354. Can anyone tell me how I can tell the year of the frame? I've looked at the different charts and I guess I'm just a little slow and just can't tell the year for sure. Thanks in advance. :shrug:

From this page;

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS1B[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]S650-007101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1971[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Candy Orange
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Probably a 71 missed a decimal place in the serial number.

Do you have a matching engine? 70-71 would have all four valve covers with 3 bolts each 72 on the front left valve cover has 4 bolts
Since it's lower than the starting number for the 72's.....
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]XS2[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]S650-100101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1972[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Brilliant Red[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
TX650
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]S650-200101[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1973[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Metallic Flake Blue, Pearl Yellow Gold[/FONT]

Last edited:
Changed my answer, I missed a decimal place!

I have a 1971 XS 1B serial number S650 023626

That 007101 is the first serial number in 1971 Unless there is a gap in the numbers they made at least 13,000 71's

yes three bolts in all four covers. The guy told me that the engine was a 1970. But he told me the frame was a 1979 and that is what it is titled for. I still can't tell from the second number you gave that makes mine a 71???

As they came from the factory the engine and frame serial numbers match. The engine number is stamped vertically kinda behind the right front engine mount.
That is NOT a 79 frame number 79's all start with either 447, 2F0, or 4F0

Goofier things have happened than a 71 titled as a 79, no big deal really except some states exempt the early bike from having to have turn signals.
A matched engine and frame is plus!

Thanks for all the help. The only reason I was concerned about the frame year is for ordering replacement parts. I have to get all new swing arm parts soon, bolt, bushings, etc. and what to order the right parts the first time around, if you know what I mean. I knew the engine and frame didn't match when I bought it. If I was restoring the bike to original condition then I would have had a problem. But I'm bobbing it out so it's cool. Thanks again for your help.

Good point, early swing arms are shorter and narrower. The axle is shorter, and the shock mounts are closer together. I think the bushings interchange with later years but I haven't been into one of the early ones yet. The early frames were rather lightly built. It should be checked for cracks (I can't give specific location) and they were often panned as having bad handling. Steep fork angle and lack of bracing by the neck contributed. Just a heads up I guess. Early engine mount brackets are different too.
Very early 70 engines had roller small end bearings ala 2 strokes, turns out that wasn't such a good idea. After serial number ???? they stopped using rollers there.

thanks for the advise. I'm taking the frame down to bare metal now so I can get a good look at it before getting it powder coated. Looks in good shape so far. The engine has already been rebuilt and I may get it re-phased later down the road. Thanks again for your help concerning the serial number. Do you think it's worth getting the title changed over to the correct year?

"Do you think it's worth getting the title changed over to the correct year? "

No not really, Might open a can of worms at the state. You know what it is, most buyers of bobbers could care less.
Just being nosy, but what front end is on it?

ttwp.gif

Might be a stock XS650 font end but I'm not really sure at this point. Doesn't really matter since I'm going with a 2" under springer front end. This is my first XS650 build so I'm kind of learning as I go. I've down a few old harley ironhead builds before but never a metric bike.

OK I hate to throw another VIN# in the mix, but I bought a s650 from a friend of a friend's friend and he had no idea what year it was, but I wanted to save the bike from the scrap pile.
Anyone know the year...S650 129987
It was priced to buy and has good bones
thnx!
Sonny

Thanx-There's always someone with the answer to any question on this forum - I appreciate you taking the time!
Sonny

Back