front end fall off

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys i just got to the point of installing front end on my bike could anyone tell me if theres a spec for setting the fall off on front end. should it be done with front wheel on? or can u set it with just the fork assembly thanks joe

I never heard of fall off.
If you mean how much of the tube should stick up past the top triple tree, the answer is about 1/16", and can be done without the wheel on the bike.

I Think he means fall away it is done with the wheel on. and the bike on the center stand with the wheel in the air. it measures the tightness of the steering head bearings.

hi ya thanks i guess i said it wrong but ur rite thats what iam checking for thanks joe

Hmmm, that was interesting. When XSLeo talks, I listen. But, I though you just tightened the steering head until it begins to bind, and then you back off just enough so that it rotates freely?

tightened the steering head until it begins to bind, and then you back off

I must have read the same thing. Mine would never start to bind, but as I cranked the hell out of it trying to get it to, I destroyed the bearings and produced the dreaded steering notch.

That was with balls and races, but rollers will develop a notch too. The right tightness is very light, on the order of 5 ft-lbs. If you feel clicking when coming to a stop it can mean they aren't tight enough, but not necessarily.

Back