Fun with Bottom End Disassembly & Degreasing

I think I cleaned them (NWVM) out a few weeks ago. :D

The gaskets I received are white in color, which was unexpected.

The one I replaced was black and was a hard plastic-like material.

Thanks anyway, Solidlex!

I was able to find 3 or 4 of the OEM Springs from Rubber City Vintage Cycle on eBay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 192
Oh damn! Guess I got lucky when I bought mine. Yes, they're that color, and I was just as surprised as you were. Speaking of gaskets, have you had any issues removing gaskets? The ones on my points cover are just damn welded!

Yes, We all do from time to time. Different approaches to removing gaskets which are well-covered in a The Garage Forum. Just don't mess up the aluminum sealing surfaces.

Why is one of the Dowel Pins flat whereas the rest are cylindrical?

That's a good one. They're normally round pins. Yours may have been modded to improve settling in neutral (some Hondas had that). Was it in the drum's 'neutral' location, with the flat facing outward? Are there any signs of owner-modified grinding? Does your parts manual show a unique pin in that area?

Edit: Page 42 of the translated german manual makes specific reference to the 'half-round' pin, and its use in the 'idle' (neutral) position...

Last edited:
Speaking of gaskets, have you had any issues removing gaskets? The ones on my points cover are just damn welded!

A few years ago I got some John Deere aerosol gasket remover from the local tractor dealership. It quickly turned gaskets into soft oatmeal, including nearby unprotected paint. It's now my favorite...

For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them" - ARISTOTLE

I successfully removed all of the gear selector parts, except for the little bearing that is tucked into the left side of the upper case. Not sure how to get it out for cleaning & inspection. There's a round dark cover thing visible on the exterior of the case. I decided to refrain from hammering on that. :)

The 3 cotter pins and 3 cylindrical shift cam pins were a little tricky to get out. I'm hoping that I can get the cotter pin ends wrapped around the forks as well as the originals were (see image in my previous post).

6958da9e-b4a4-4cc1-8144-7ddae283cbf1_zps532e0412.jpg

Doesn't look like you did, but when you were disassembling this, did you find the "plug" that fits in the crankcase before the "gear selector shaft"? It's listed as part #17 in the Haynes manual on page 35. When I disassembled the mechanism in my engine, I couldn't find the plug, which makes me wonder if 1) I lost it 2) it's welded into the case (I can't really tell) or 3) there never was one.

When you reassembled the mechanism, do you remember if the gear selector shaft stuck out from the case or if it was slightly recessed when you put it all the way in?

Back