1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Garage Art

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by YamadudeXS650C, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Btw DE.... your little models are every bit as impressive to me.:D

2. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Colorado
    That artwork belongs in the house when framed, IMHO...
    SR71=:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Jim and gggGary like this.
  3. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

And to think... 55 years ago, designed and built using slide rules (like how we went to the moon, 5 years later...), and still, we (or the rest of the world) have no rival... mind boggling... :umm:

Meddy, Jim and Mailman like this.
  4. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

And the minerals to make the Titanium came from the USSR.

5. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Thank you, but please... Not even remotely in the same class.

6. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

.aaahhh, the Sled. Beautiful artwork Jim.

Jim and Mailman like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

DSCN3528.JPG DSCN3529.JPG
    Can anyone ID what these are for? Top unit is a Starrett, shaft turns, dial counts revolutions.

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  8. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Fishing tackle for Wisconsin Walleyes?
    I hear they’re mean!
    47847F2D-42A4-4873-9457-32FA13B58286.jpeg

Jim, YamadudeXS650C and gggGary like this.
  9. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

The first one is a "Starrett tachometer".
    The walleye hook reminds me of vintage pick tool, for disassembling something...

Jim, gggGary and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  10. Mailman

I have always been an unabashed fan of Yamadudes collection of cool stuff. I mean, the motorcycles, vintage stereos, vintage tools and interesting objects that all together coined the phrase garage art. I’ve had a lot of conversations with Jeff about some of these objects, we have a lot of common interests.

You can imagine my surprise when one day the mailman delivered a package from Syracuse to me.

A little back story here. Dude wrote a thread
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-the-heck-is-it.51048/

Where he was using the coolest little vintage ruler to show the dimension of the object.
    CB2C6CFB-4B90-4DEA-B24D-3ACFF6076F29.jpeg

Well I was very interested in the story of his ruler, and I’ll be darned if he didn’t send me one of his two! Not only that, but these rulers have a history, they were used by his father who was a professional painter, who painted murals in the lobby’s of buildings. Really nice stuff, one which still survives in a post office.

The ruler has brass hinges and brass caps, is two feet overall, but folds up very compact, it has some very cool details like very small pins that fit into matching holes to help hold the ruler into its folded shape.
    3B66336B-177B-4CB5-ABAB-2B3B8A650270.jpeg 5365C9D4-7316-44C1-A46E-5492D9AEEC8F.jpeg 0EF19BDB-9361-439A-8579-E557ECCAE3CE.jpeg

I recently used it on my XS2 thread.
    ABB286F7-9927-4C01-8EBC-5F61F32A728A.jpeg

It’s cool AND functional! When not in use, it occupies a place of honor front and center on my pegboard. It makes me smile when I look at it!
    598A5858-5E1C-4AC3-8EBF-7DF6379172BE.jpeg

But there is ONE MORE ITEM from the Dude collection of really cool things. An original Triumph sew on patch that he picked up in Boston in the 80’s at Don Hutchinson’s Triumph when Jeff had his beautiful ‘69 Bonneville there for some repairs. Don Hutchenson is still there and his dealership has a lot of history. I have had Dude’s calendar photo of his ‘75 framed above my work bench for a while now and I have displayed that Triumph patch right above it.
    D1F33DA7-E1D6-45EF-A091-637441F897F2.jpeg

What can I say, I’m a sentimental old fool and I love all these little things that have a personal connection.
    Thanks Jeff for parting with your treasures, I know how much they meant to you.
    —Bob

11. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Cleaned out a junk drawer today. Found these from my Air Force days. I retired in 94. Guess I should clean it out a little more often... :rolleyes:
    Anyway.... they make good garage art.

IMG_20190702_175106.jpg

12. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

Did you have to move the wall outlet/switch to get the perfect fit.:p

13. Mailman

Very nice! Those would look nice in a shadow box. :thumbsup:

MaxPete, Jim and GLJ like this.
  14. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

I know it's not the 4th yet but all kidding aside. Thank you for your service.

15. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Indeed - thanks Jim, Downeaster and all the other servicemen and women who keep us safe.

Jim, Scripto VU, TwoManyXS1Bs and 2 others like this.
  16. Downeaster

[​IMG]

Won't quite fit on my garage wall. Or around my fat ass any more for that matter...:sick:

[​IMG]

My "going away" present when I retired. That'll be 29 years ago this coming September. Hard to believe. At least, until I look in the mirror...

TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ, Scripto VU and 3 others like this.
  17. Jim

Ain't that the truth.... :rolleyes:
    25 yrs ago last April. My "going away" present when I retired....

IMG_20190703_160022.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  18. MaxPete

Wow - that’s all I’ve got Paul and Jim.

Just....wow.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  19. Downeaster

Speaking strictly for myself, only ONE of those ribbons means a damn thing. Top row, left ribbon, green with white strips - Navy Commendation Medal. I actually earned that one. The rest are mostly for being in the right place at the right time. Green with orange is a Navy Achievement which is a standard "Bye-bye, don't let the door hit you in the ass" ribbon given to retirees. Good Conduct means I didn't get caught. Navy Unit Citation means I was a member of a HUGE group of people that Done Good. The rest are just gedunk.

Not to denigrate your appreciation, Pete. I do appreciate being appreciated...

gggGary, GLJ, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  20. MaxPete

In my experience, much of life is a “right place - right time” sort of thing, but every once in a while, the good guys actually win one.

P