Getting Started (Again) '72 XS2

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I Started this project just over a year ago and was posting but lack of how to post pics correctly really kinda killed it. thanks to some help from another member, I'm gonna give it a shot again. Luckily I've documented the process with pics so here we go. I picked up this bike from the grandson of the original owner. It had been rode hard and put away wet and sat in his garage for about 13-14 yrs in not so happy conditions. NOTHING on this bike was without an inch of grime or damage but I loved it from the moment I saw it, flat tires and all :)
XS2original1_zpsnahrkdib.jpg
teardown_zpsgkqku4gj.jpg
xs650-1_zpssznzdhmf.jpg

That bike looks like a pretty original survivor.

That being said, please, please don't butcher it up to make a hardtail, bobber, chopper, etc...

It would make an excellent restoration candidate. :thumbsup:

I'm all about people building bikes, but you should've cut up another bike. Those are rare and valuable when restored. Don't mean to be a dick, just saying. I guess it's to late now, good luck.

Guys, believe me, it was a big consideration to restore, but it was totally roached beyond that IMHO

Once I had it down to a bare frame I decided to go with the brat kit from Monstercraftsman. I looked at several but like the curve of their kit. I prepped the frame and got ready to get started
framecut_zpszkiafrg6.jpg
It wasn't easy because I knew there was no going back so I took a breath, turned on the grinder and went at it.
framecut1_zpskmjvqazj.jpg

Guys, believe me, it was a big consideration to restore, but it was totally roached beyond that IMHO

Hi Wingedwheel,
nah, I saw the photos, it was all there and a quite reasonable salvage job too.
Although, are you only 4'-8" tall?
If so I can understand your need for a Brat job.
BTW, here's a link to your list-name:-
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bsa+...2&ved=0CBsQsARqFQoTCIKfm6D6ocgCFcLXHgodYIMISA
Perhaps you can borrow one of the images for your avatar pic.

Thanks Fred, those are cool, I'll have to delve more into them. Guys it looks great in the pics but EVERYTHING had an issue. the side covers were cracked, the bike had been dropped so many times the blinkers were bent, cracked lenses, pitted chrome on everything, bent handlebars. I could go on and on. just keep with the post and I doubt I'll convert the hardcore restoration lovers but you will not be disappointed.

So I cut the frame as specified and when I went to drop the kit on I was like WTF????
framecut4_zps2kxlb57j.jpg
seems that nobody knew they changed the frame after '73 and the kits that Monstercraftsman makes only go for '74/up.
framecut2_zpsay8pkowr.jpg
However I called the guys at Monstercraftsman, explained the situation and they paid for me to mail my frame and the kit back to them, fit it, welded it up and shipped it back to me no charge.
framecut3_zpskn4rzgfy.jpg

Next I had to make it a roller and with new tires in hand I also started hitting swap meets looking for parts and ideas.
tires_zpsgkvn1pjp.jpg
I did good this day...:)
swapmeet1_zpsfaz7jjr8.jpg

So with my new tires in place I cut off the passenger peg mounts and began to shape my idea
roller2_zps76bsvljm.jpg
IMG_1510_zpsj8unj7c8.jpg

With the frame and Front end together, I had to figure a way to mount the rear fender. I picked up an old dirtbike fender at a swap meet that had a cool duck-bill flair and started throwing ideas at it]
fenderidea_zpszbamvouq.jpg
It was going to have to be mounted to the swingarm so I broke out the garage blacksmith tools and started fabbing with a 5/16 bar stock.
blacksmithtools_zpsjeeucylp.jpg

it was a little tricky bending what I wanted with makeshift tools but it took shape.
strutbender_zpslg0wcvgc.jpg
next I spaced the fender up to where I wanted it and cut the stock to length.
bentstrut_zps4d8qwofv.jpg
I cut a piece of flat bar and shaped it to the holes on the fender.
finishedmount_zpsoodbuqvp.jpg

I then cut tabs, welded everything together,
sidestrutL_zpsg78yzmsm.jpg
and made a mount to weld onto the swingarm for the front of the fender
fittingmount_zps0affodt2.jpg
I did both sides but realized the left side would interfere with the chain so one side should be plenty.
finishedmountfront_zpsjb8xkdad.jpg

after I worked out a few things on the frame I figured I'd clean up the engine before dropping it in.
engineold1_zpse5nc5nco.jpg
I'm kinda limited since I'm working out of the garage so I came up with this idea for a degreaser tank.
degreaser_zpsl2rmonrv.jpg
It kept the mess to a minimum which kept the wife happy...:). Now she was nice and clean.
engineold2_zps3zoykhzb.jpg

Next I wanted to clean up the dingy covers.
engineold3_zpsra73ieyj.jpg
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y346/breth45/IMG_1345_zpsqcgeqszm.jpg
IMG_1344_zpsndm5oobp.jpg
I watched a few vids on polishing metal and gave it a shot.
polish1_zpsflnfabrl.jpg
enginenew4_zpsr7vbmd87.jpg
engine_zps2i3ygkg5.jpg

Back