Getting Started (Again) '72 XS2

I also tried to make sure all the little things were done before I got into the finish. A big thing for me was the way the kickstand was set-up. This frame was a terrible "leaner" and I've heard that from a few other guys about these older models. I ground the welds off the kickstand bracket and with the wheels on the frame to gauge where I wanted it I made a mark and welded it back on.
IMG_2362_zpsxtsdgrol.jpg
It's got a great angle now, I always felt like the bike was going to fall over before.
kickstand_zpsjibqfprp.jpg

Thanks Higgy!
I didn't like the seat pan that came with the bobber kit so I cut it off and bent and welded a piece of bar stock to mount the rear seat springs to. I also read a lot of things about using pods on the carbs and the turbulence issues they can create so I decided to incorporate the stock airboxes.
airboxseat3_zpsuxtkmna3.jpg
airboxseat2_zpsuowbpoai.jpg

Next was prep and paint. All welds were ground and smoothed and everything sanded and primed.
IMG_2360_zps1sxgxhvh.jpg

The tank I had picked up was already lined and painted and it looked pretty good, but I didn't want a black bike.
IMG_2368_zpstgqc97wf.jpg
As with anything that there was no turning back from, I took a breath and hit it with the sandpaper.
IMG_2368_zpstgqc97wf.jpg
IMG_2376_zpslofhgans.jpg
I also filled and sanded any unused holes on the fender.
IMG_2369_zpsys5cj8xz.jpg

On the carbs, pods will work great if you use the good ones. Plenty of info on here about that. If your going a minimalist route might as well go all the way.

Once everything was dry, I noticed I had fish-eyes in the tank. I tried to work them out and ended up ruining the paint, so I stripped it and tried again.
IMG_2390_zpsnxedscak.jpg
IMG_2391_zpskegonpji.jpg
IMG_2392_zpsvavm9cjc.jpg
this time it came out better.
IMG_2395_zps60pcfxbe.jpg

I also dropped my fender and it hit the sprocket on the rear wheel and nicked it pretty good.
IMG_2371_zpsqbnzphkp.jpg
Back to the bondo......

Since I was doing the original paint scheme on the tank, I needed to do something for the other parts to keep them from being so plain so I pin-stripped before I sprayed the clear-coat.
IMG_2379_zps1wuarbyw.jpg
IMG_2400_zpspsoz3l6y.jpg
bucket2_zpszc6epera.jpg

What size shocks are you running? Something looks a little off to me. The gap between the fender and the seat looks huge. Not trying to be a dick, just a thought. Or maybe reverse the seat spring bracket so it sits down in the seat rails. Again, just a thought.

I will say that you-tube and this forum has been an invaluable tool for me. Most of what I wanted to do has a video or write-up. Next I picked up some fine-line masking tape, masked off the tank and three-coated the white.
tankstripe_zpstototgaw.jpg
I sprayed the finished base coat with a 2-part clear called Spraymax 2K because it's a little more resistant to fuel than a 1-part paint and it developed a noticeable orange peel. So I wet sanded with 1500, then 2000g and picked up some polish and an applicator.It came out nicely.
IMG_2398_zpsunhcxwxo.jpg

Figure8, I'm running stock shocks. It might look like a big gap because the fender is mounted to the swingarm vs a fender stay off the frame and me being a taller guy I raised the seat a little more than a traditional bobber. Yea I know what you're saying and I've got plans for that.:)

Curious to see what you come up with. Shorter shocks and lower seat but run toward controls is a thought.

Paint came out nice and now its all the little things, cables, wiring ect.
Pipes1_zpsxzikivcb.jpg

Got the carbs on the bench for a rebuild and I'm running a smaller battery due to mounting constraints.
electrics1_zps6ucolkva.jpg
Due to the small battery, I went to kick only and I'm working on putting a relay inside the headlamp bucket to keep the lights from coming on until the charging system kicks in.

Took a few days to think about my wiring and realized it wasn't that difficult if I looked a several of the diagrams on here and read what other posters have done. I started by drilling a hole for my switch. A super magnet in a baggie helps gather all the shavings together.
ignition1_zpshao3ajay.jpg
Then to really simplify things I used a TC Bros chopper harness and We have ignition!
ignition2_zps9sd178st.jpg
I just wish i could find a nice custom kill switch for the handlebars.

A super magnet in a baggie helps gather all the shavings.

That's the coolest shit I have ever seen. Sometimes the simplest stuff is so excellent! I've drilled stuff using a shop vac propped up to catch the drilling swarf. This idea is brilliant!

I just wish i could find a nice custom kill switch for the handlebars.

This next build of mine will be using a keyed starter switch. Off/On/Start. Simple.

Yea Higgy my last build was simple and just used the key, I guess I've been using a kill switch on my other bikes so long it's just second nature. I've seen some sweet clamp units online but I need a LH single switch. I'm still looking so for now its just keyed. I just turn the baggie inside out and toss it when I'm done. Magnet stays clean and shavings are contained.

I have pretty small, clean looking switch with kill and high/low for lights. PM me if your interested.

Back