Going back to stock charging system

I wouldn't say the original parts are bad, I'd say they are Stone Axe, obsolete, out of date, ancient, relics from the past, manufactured for pennies, inadequate, a problem just waiting to happen. No, I wouldn't say they are bad, no vacuum tubes.

Scott

The '80 and later solid state reg/rec probably isn't that bad. I wouldn't replace one unless it crapped out. The '79 and older mechanical unit, on the other hand, does benefit greatly from an upgrade. It's output is very erratic, bouncing up and down even at higher RPMs. I think the bike's vibration messes with the mechanical points inside the unit. Instead of the voltage signal alone triggering them, vibration shakes them open/closed when they shouldn't be.

Mine always functioned, I mean I never suffered from dead batteries, but I never realized how sloppy that function was until I installed a means to monitor the voltage output. It would randomly drop down to around 13 volts at RPMs as high as 4K. Slowing down or speeding up a little would bring the charge rate back up. This indicated to me that the vibration level at certain RPM levels was messing with the unit's output. The output on the VR115 clone (NAPA VR1010) I installed doesn't vary except when I drop down to an idle, which is normal and expected.

I have to think that this old mechanical regulator's constantly changing voltage request signal is putting more stress and strain on the alternator and rotor. It's making them work harder than they should have to what with constantly ramping their output up and down. It's making the poor things jump through hoops, lol. It wouldn't surprise me if this contributes to some of those components' failures.

Well, I can certainly hope for that. I have a sealed unit now a few years old and so far, so good. Previously I went through 2 old type wet cell batteries using the old mechanical regulator. But I got 4 or 5 years out of each one which didn't disappoint me. That's about average for any wet cell battery I've ever had in any bike.

2W, please don't burst into tears when I tell you that describes the whole bike. Why pick on just the regulator?

P.S. Except for the manufactured for pennies part. Part of the appeal of the bike is they cut very few corners, if any.

Last edited:
That's not the stock charging system. That's the charging system some hacker came up with to convince you they're bright.
Yep your right..you get a gold star...i know what the stock charging system is..sorry to misrepresent it for you
That's not the stock charging system. That's the charging system some hacker came up with to convince you they're bright.

Back