Good News !

Old RT3 Guy

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
ts not about the Fiat Panda

May.jpg

Last edited:
Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) is back ! ! !

The New BSA Gold Star is now revealed and the Director of BSA Motorcycles Ashish Joshi, tells us more details on BSA's plans for the model and it's manufacture. This video contains additional launch footage. The launch preview event was held at the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham. Here's the next video in this series with the Director of BSA showing us around the new bike after it's launch: https://youtu.be/Yg3jBQuwes8 // FOR ALL CHANNEL ENQUIRIES (INCLUDING SPONSORSHIP AND ADVERTISING) please contact Alex Rollings - alexander@talktocamera.co.uk // ABOUT THE CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE CHANNEL The Classic Motorcycle Channel is for people who love classic, vintage and antique motorcycles. We are passionate about classic motorcycles and produce high quality motorcycle profile videos, restoration videos, restorer profile videos and also anything that takes our interest.
CHECK OUT BSA ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook and Instagram: bsamotorcyclesofficial
Twitter: @bsamotorcycles_

Last edited:
Wow..That is so cool..They're beautiful machines..I rememeber a friend of mine back in the late 60s riding a BSA Lightining..I think it was....I used to ride on back...Good to see them coming back and embracing their rich history...That is very cool to see

Good to see them coming back and embracing their rich history
I don't think that's what it is at all. Bombay Small Arms maybe. In the back of my mind (what's left of it) and with a jaundiced eye, I recollect that the first India-built Enfield Bullets were borderline awful. Want a BSA ? Go get a real one.
Calling that thing a Gold Star is a sacrilege.

Last edited:
I don't think that's what it is at all. Bombay Small Arms maybe. In the back of my mind (what's left of it) and with a jaundiced eye, I recollect that the first India-built Enfield Bullets were borderline awful. Want a BSA ? Go get a real one.
Calling that thing a Gold Star is a sacrilege.

Finding a "REAL ONE" these days is like trying to see Lynyrd Skynyrd with the original members. And pricey too. Sigh me up. I'll take two
Poor analogy. The existence of a human being is finite (plane crash notwithstanding) whereas a well cared piece of machinery can theoretically live on forever. If the same $$ amount is spent on two new Indian BSA's or one vintage BSA, in five years the former will have depreciated and the latter will have appreciated. Vintage Lightnings, Spitfires and Hornets don't appear to be nearly as pricey as a vintage Bonneville and all will run with, and out-handle, our beloved XS's. Own, ride and care for a vintage British 650 twin and you'll never lose a dime. Ever.

Not to offend any enthusiast But the BSA had Poor reputation here for quality ..
Mostly because few had new bikes ..But still
Pecking Order Enfield / Norton / Triumph / BSA the rest was to rare and The Triumph had the Sporty Hooligan Riders,
Can they keep the Price down and Quality up I can see this taking off.
Any quality is most likely better than what BSA had then.

From what I ascertained 45+ years ago all the Brit bikes took a lot of maintenance and love to make somewhat dependable. Just depended on what you liked best as to what you rode. Any new bike that takes the level of care as the old ones will not survive. Our 650s are almost maintenance free compared to 60s Brit bikes.

Yeah Hovel, poor analogy. I fired that one of on my lunch break at Wal-Mart. So really it's like some people think it was sacrilege for the band to use the name after the crash. But but a lot of people still got to boogie to gimme three steps. Shure I'd love to own any vintage twin and not realy concerned with appreciation because I'd never sell it. Or my 100$ xs . Of course it's not the real thing but still a Cool Motorcycle.

The knock against BSA’s reliability is I think ( mostly ) undeserved. Their quality was as good as any of their other British peers and their performance was at least as good if not better than Triumph. Just look at all the professional racers who ran them. Their Achilles heel was the crankshaft that had a plain bearing supporting one end of the crankshaft ( the other end had a roller bearing ). Under sustained high speed running for long distances, it would sometimes become oil starved and spin the bearing.
As for requiring a lot of maintenance to keep it running, really almost anything mechanical from before the 80’s required a lot of maintenance. It seemed like I was always working on my 1960 pickup truck and my 67 Mustang.

Had a Commando and an H2 at the same time back in the day, had about the same 1/4 mile times. How they did it was night and day different. The H2 was quickly gone.
It was all in what was around but for what ever reason I was always partial to Nortons over Triumphs.
Sunset Motors, a couple hour drive, might have helped. :sneaky:
A buddy bought a 73 Bonnie brand new and still has it.

Last edited:
I'll toss this out for the sake of conversation. Quality until recently is a "relative" term. and the 1970s were known for a lot of different things, but mechanical quality was certainly not one of them. Its something every manufacturer struggled with. GM and the early 70's VEGA with the heat sensitive aluminum engine block that expanded when it was warm and let all the oil blow past the piston rings, Ford had the spontaneous combustible PINTO, and foreign cars back then were a joke. When was the last time you saw a French (Renault Dauphine), German (VW Thing), Italian (Lancia or Fiat Strada) , or British (Reliant Robin), 1970's era barn find survivor? People would say that Jaguars were so expensive because you had to buy 2 so you'd have spare parts ! So yes, I get the quality knock from Hovel, but practically everyone suffered from shit quality but the British and only the British embraced The Prince of Darkness and made him a Knight, Sir Joseph Lucas known for Lucas Lighting.

Last edited:
While we're on the subject of British brands, I stumbled onto an article about the new V-4 engine from . . .wait for it . . .Norton ! They are back which is good because I need some parts for my Mark III Commando.
Read about it here:
https://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/
and here:
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-british-motorcycles/approachable-nortons-zmz0z19ndzhur/?utm_source=wcemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MCC eNews 12-09-21&wc_totalkey=CZ2HTDkhEv7mcc3aisbizj_0M8yODZXowYgfRzeNxEox6aikLJuPTyGbORUs0z_vbR58VyXnw5NDVMkuU3pIbw

Last edited:
Back