Ground wire?

mrmach5

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the reassemble portion of my 74 TX650A restoration. In places where I new it would be months before I would revisit that spot I took photos etc. to document how an assembly was suppose to be. Looks like I missed a spot.
I have a short 5" ground wire that is terminated on both ends , the one end I'm almost positive went between the instrument cluster and the upper triple tree with one of the cluster allen bolts going thru it. Can't remember where the other end gets fastened to?
It also is terminated with an eye connector so it get bolted or on a stud somewhere?
Any ideas?
Thanks

I think that wire ran from under one of the handle bar riser nuts around to one of the upper tree clamp bolts.
I have a 75, the 74 and 75 were almost identical except for the paint scheme. On those years the ground path for the horn button and starter button was through the bars, risers, through that wire to the tree. From the tree to the steering stem, through the bearings to the frame, back to battery.
Not the best way to do a ground but it does work. The current flow through the bearings isn't very long or very strong, but after awhile it can pit the bearings.
I might suggest running a new wire from the riser nut back under the tank and to the coil mount bolt. This bypasses the bearings. As most grounds to the frame is good. Just remember, clean bare metal to clean bare metal on all grounds. A bit of dielectric grease on this bare clean metal prevents corrosion.
Leo

Leo,
Thanks,,,,,, yes now the length of the wire makes sense, the riser stud an nut, Its coming back to me now. I think I will use you suggestion and build a new ground wire and run it to the coil bracket, sounds good.
Thanks again for the help!
Jeff

Back