Harley riders/forums

When I had My first Sporty, I found that most of the other H-D riders would not even speak. But, they were the RUBs. The REAL bikers, as in, the ones with some history treated me like one of the Guys. The RUBs didnt realize, I had owned more than a hundred bikes before that Sporty, and probably had ridden more miles than all of them put together. Enjoy Your Sporty, it is a great, fun ride!

I just had a chance to talk to a co-worker of mine that rides a Harley Davidson. He explained to me how he wholeheartedly attempted to be part of the crowd at the local bars but had to leave because he couldn't put up with their blatant arrogance and their disrespect towards metric riders.

Last edited:
I just had a chance to talk to a co-worker of mine that rides a Harley Davidson. He explained to me how he wholeheartedly attempted to be part of the crowd at the local bars but had to leave because he couldn't put up with their blatant arrogance and their disrespect towards metric riders.

Riceist bastards!

I think I will ride My Street Tracker to the next HOG meeting. That oughta get some panties in a wad. Almost as much fun as running with scissors!

A couple years ago, for kicks, I rode My 69 Honda Z-50 into the BOONDOCKS ( Amarillos Famous Dive). A close Friend owned and operated BOONDOCKS, which was mainly a Harley bar, but all makes were welcome.
So, a Friend held the door open, and I made My way twice around the stage, and rode up to the bar. I shut off the little Honda, and realized I had parked right next to a large table full of Banditos. The were having a meeting, and I had happened to park in the middle of it. On a Honda. I was face to face with the VP. He glared at me and stood up. I stood up. (not cool to die sitting on a Honda 50) i didnt know what to do. Sometimes in life, You find Yourself ,painted into a corner, with a dripping brush in Your hands. Suddenly, He yelled at the bartender, "bring this crazy Bastard a beer!" and they went back to their meeting. I drank the beer, and got some of it down, but I think most of it sloshed on the front of My jacket, cause My hands were shaking. I do not recommend this. I did not have to buy another beer all day. This pic was taken in the parking lot right after. I miss the BOONDOCKS.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 215
A couple years ago, for kicks, I rode My 69 Honda Z-50 into the BOONDOCKS ( Amarillos Famous Dive). A close Friend owned and operated BOONDOCKS, which was mainly a Harley bar, but all makes were welcome.
So, a Friend held the door open, and I made My way twice around the stage, and rode up to the bar. I shut off the little Honda, and realized I had parked right next to a large table full of Banditos. The were having a meeting, and I had happened to park in the middle of it. On a Honda. I was face to face with the VP. He glared at me and stood up. I stood up. (not cool to die sitting on a Honda 50) i didnt know what to do. Sometimes in life, You find Yourself ,painted into a corner, with a dripping brush in Your hands. Suddenly, He yelled at the bartender, "bring this crazy Bastard a beer!" and they went back to their meeting. I drank the beer, and got some of it down, but I think most of it sloshed on the front of My jacket, cause My hands were shaking. I do not recommend this. I did not have to buy another beer all day. This pic was taken in the parking lot right after. I miss the BOONDOCKS.

Nice!!! Great story. I live in H.A. territory and had some similar experiences. I still don't think I want to try that with either of these...:yikes:

Attachments

• GEDC0606 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC0606 (800x600).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 165
  • GEDC0607 (800x600).jpg
    GEDC0607 (800x600).jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 187

Great story!:thumbsup:

Got nothing against HD riders.When the weather is bad,cold or rainey they are the ones who are riding past the house.One work buddy puts on about 23k a year on his HD.
Friend in FL just got one last year,put a trailer on it and went to Sturgis and off to San Jose CA and back and is now going to Chicago and follow RT 66 to CA the best he can in about two months.
My partner has herself an 1100 Low Butt Sportster which I have ridden..give me your credit card and I am gone on it.
I used to have an XS650 but now I have the XS1100 that I have had awhile and the only time my bike was made fun of was at a meet that I was invited to,they wanted to cut of my stock exhaust with a hack saw to see if it was running:)I had to look at the tach to see if it was.
Almost all riders seem to wave around the Ross OH (sw OH0)area...regardless of brand.
DSC_0577-1.jpg

I have a Harley and an xs650 bobber side by side in my garage. It's the wanna-bees that sprout the bs. But it is the same as the ford vs. chevy vs. mopar bs in the muscle car world. It is pride in what you own.

Attachments

• Rocker bobber.jpg
    Rocker bobber.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 179
Pretty much anyone that has a combination of "biker name" tag, DILLIGAF patch, and HOG patch is a friggin douche in my experience. These jack-offs give motorcyclists a bad name with their boorish banter, and lines they learned from Peter Fonda movies. There's this ass-hat, calls himself Sputnik, appeared in Texas Legislature a couple of years ago. If you are going to the legislature to speak on behalf of a large number of citizens, DON'T ASK THE CHAMBER TO ADDRESS YOU BY YOUR "BIKER NAME"!

H-D has some impressive marketing clout. They sell by peer pressure almost exclusively.

I say, God gave me a very nice penis, I do not need a chrome plated one! As far as brand "mystique", how much is that shit by the pound? I look at all the numbers stating what average income is, what average debt is, what average home value is, and I'm about as average as it gets. I cannot see paying 25-30K for a damn CAR or TRUCK, much less a motorcycle.

If you don't think some of your "buddies" are H-D snobs, ask yourself this, how many of them are in "all brands" riding clubs, and how many are in elitist frat boy fuck fuck MC's playing bad boy dress up for 2 parades and a fund raiser every year?

I give one of my co-workers hell because they do not plan a road trip without somebody's "old lady" ( I would never call my wife an old lady, even after she turns into one!) chasing them in a Suburban with a boxed trailer that will haul spares, beer, and at least 4 bikes! Me and my partners took off on a 1600 mile 4 day run with whatever would fit on the bike, and we were anywhere from 6-20 years old machines, with all of the Big 4 represented. Never even cosidered a "chase vehicle" You are supposed to be enjoying it, not worrying about breaking down or running out of beer! There's beer at the end of every ride, if you plan it right.

Last edited:
Ambassadorship . I know it's a word because my spell checker says so . If there is one expression we have all heard at one time or another that rubs me the wrong way it's "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand ".
I will never pass up a chance to explain what I do and who I am when it comes to motorcycles . I'll rise to the bait even when it's obvious the question comes from a disinterested and purposely clueless ignorant . you never know who might be listening . I'll stress safety , individuality and personal freedom . I'll hit on the highs and the lows of ownership and riding . I'll offer introductions to MSF courses . I'll point at introductory bikes and the reasons why . I'll outline ATGATT and cite examples of minor accidents that could have been a lot worse . I'll even tell on myself when I've been stupid or ignorant .
We are ambassadors to the public for what we do and who we are . Never pass a chance to relate to even a casual question with the kind of honesty that is a surprise even to yourself . So instead of "...you would never understand" how about "I'll try but the answer to your question is really in the doing ".
I have little or less time for the media driven , me too , gotta be cool , lemmings of the motorcycling world but they too deserve initial tolerance and and something less than an argumentative answer . If I can convert just one to "it isn't what you ride it's that you ride ". I'm happy .
It may be because of my longevity . It could be because I ridden the same KZ1000 Police for decades but the one issue I don't have is with clubs . All the locals seem th recognize if not know me . I can park the KZ wherever and whenever I like . I don't back it into a line of patched bikes unless it's the last spot and I don't show anything but respect for another ride , rider , or patch until I know different .
I've always been that way because I was taught right . Decades on it has served me well and will continue to .
I do have some glaring pet peeves . Trashing classics in the name of me too customization . Form over function . Holier than though brand specific whores espousing the "one true mark" . Elitism . Bullying , terrorizing or intimidating the motoring public for any reason . Last but not least the rider with no concept of how his/her actions affect another .
Enough out of me I feel the need to ride . If I have to explain why , have you got an hour or two ?

~kop

Well, this is an embarassing story but well worth sharing...

As a kid I had a Sears or Wards minibike, my dad would take me out to the country on weekends to ride around on it, after about an hour I was done, maybe a bit too cautious and nervous to really let loose on it and have fun. When I was a teen I had a snowmobile, had tons of fun on it.

Years passed and next thing I knew I was 37, never had owned or ridden on a motorcycle, other than that little minibike. Occasionally I would get the itch to take the motorcylce safety course and look into buying a bike, but I never did. One day I'm talking to my dad and he tells me my uncle just bought a motorcycle, dad thinks he's nuts. After talking to my uncle, I get the bug, I want a motorcycle and I hear that Harleys are the bike to get. So I have my sights set on a Harley, but decide against any motorcycle becuase I don't have any money for one, and wife thinks they're too dangerous. I put motorcycles in the back of my head and don't give them much thought. Well the next year my dad dies suddenly, I am left with some insurance money. So what do I do? I have no idea how to ride a motorcycle, so I take the safety course and get my endorsement. The insurance check shows up in the mail so I'm off to buy a motorcyle, I haven't done any research on what's available, haven't checked out the useed market, just know that I want to buy a Harley. Head to the dealership and decide I want the Sportster Nightster, test drive one and love it, oh shoot they don't have the color I want and I'm not going to wait or go to one of the other hundred or so Harley dealers in the area. So I turn around and see this very sweet looking Dyna Low rider, brand new, glistening and pretty. I test drive it, love it and pay cash. Of course I don't leave the dealership without the official Harley leather jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, and two free harley t-shirts. On the way home I feel all tough and mighty, I'm no longer the 160 pound (most of it beer gut), 5'8", spindly armed dufus, I used to be. I'm a biker!

So I go for a short ride, a little freaked out becuse I'm not used to riding motorcycles, maybe ride twenty miles then head home, show it off to the wife and park it in the garage. Now that I'm a biker, I take the bike out for short trips around the area, maybe leave the house for an hour or two tops. I brag at work about how I got a Harley, I give the little salute to the other Harley guys that I see on the road. One day as I turn into the driveway I forget that the bike has to be moving to turn and I drop it right in front of the house in the middle of the street, my leg is pinned underneath, and being the scrawny guy I am it is almost impossible to get that bike up off of me, but I finally manage after what seems like an eternity. Luckily no one drives by and as far as I know no one saw me. I head into the garage to check for damage, none really to speak of. At lest my Harley gear kept me safe, I would have had a nasty little abrasion on my right hand if I hand't had those gloves on. The rest of the summer, with the short rides only, goes off without a hitch, that whole month went by with me being the king of the hill. Now that it's too cold to ride and snow will soon fall I have the Harley dealership pick up the bike for climate controlled winter storage and a tune up in the spring.

I dream about that bike all winter and even order some upgrades to have the dealer put on in the spring. Spring comes and I choose the option of picking up the bike at the dealership rather than have them deliver it to me. Well now I have ditched the Harley jacket and got me one of those Vanson, hardcore highwayman, jackets (all stiff and shiney). I fit right in at the dealership and proudly ride straight home, have some lunch then head out on the highway, for a big 20 -30 mile ride, then back to the garage and done for the day. The summer goes on like that, short daily rides around the area, safe roads I know, etc. I do go on one long ride with it, about 300 miles round trip, I enjoyed it but got a pretty sore neck having my head bounced around, no windsheild and on the interstate, with the wife and kids in the car behind me.

Within a week or two we have some major bills come due, we weren't prepared at all and could not pay them. Things get more desperate to the point where all I can do to get money is the unthinkable. I sell a two year old Harley with less than three thousand miles on Craigslist for half of what I paid for it to some prick who dosn't really seem to appreciate it and tries to get away with paying even less. I am so desperate to sell that I take a personal check without looking at his ID, getting a phone number, or anything. I have the check in my hand and there goes the bike. I am devastated, I really loved that bike and the image that went with i

A couple of years go by and I now I have three XS 650's, I rebuilt the motor on one and am working on turning it into a bobber as time and money allow, it has been two years and probably another year before I can ride it. The other two will sit until I have money to work on them, they did run but I sold their carbs as I needed the cash to finish the current project. If I had kept at least one set of carbs I could be riding on of those XS's this summer :doh:

I'm sure you all know the valuble lessons I learned form this experience. Now when I read these threads about some of the Harley riders, I just laugh. I look forward to riding my bobber XS650 to the ends of the earth.

Lastly, regarding my uncle, he dosn't wear a helmet. I was giving him a bad time about this one day. He just looked at me and said "I'm ready to meet Jesus" then took off into the sunset. Funniest damn thing I've ever experienced. Him on his Vstar, short curly hair, mustache, stone washed denim jeans, leather dress shoes, and the most satisfied look on his face. I love that man, he got me into motorcycles, although I took a very convoluted way of getting to where I am today.

Thanks for reading this long story, there is more to it but I 'm trying to work and type this up, so it rambles a bit. I hope you have a good laugh over it :)

Sherwin

Last edited:
Excellent story. You are, in fact, a biker, no two ways about it. Cause you love it. And it didn't matter if you were wearing the HD gear or not. What year carbs you need?

Kopcicle, too-good post. We need rep buttons. :D

John

Nice!!! Great story. I live in H.A. territory and had some similar experiences. I still don't think I want to try that with either of these...:yikes:

The Banditos is a San Antonio Texas club (my home town). One of their Charter members rode a BMW for many years.

I've been around motorcycles in South Texas for 40 years. We all ride the same places and I've never gotten any shit from a 1% for any of my XS's. I'd say that it is the one Jap bike that they respect.

All motorcyclist who know anything about motorcycles respect the XS. It is an established classic as much as a Bonnie or a Commando. The Brit crowd will frown on you if you put a Triumph tank on one, that seems to be the line for them between homage to the English vertical twin and "passing" for one. "Be what you are" seems to be a pretty commonly held value in the motorcycle community.

Lots of HD riders are motorcycle people. Many rode or still ride XS's. The bean-counters and assorted wanna-be's who have bought into the "culture" sold by HD are not motorcycle people. They are sheep. All they can really say is BAAAAAAH.

I just want to add, for clarity, that the intent of sharing this story was to poke fun at myself and the attitude I had when I first started out with motorcycles. I wonder how many of those "biker" types this thread makes fun of had a similar mindset :bike:

Also, a big "Thank you" to those who have offered up some carbs for my use this summer. What a great bunch of people you all are :thumbsup:

Sherwin

Burns, my experience with the Bandidos (did you disrespect them with the "t"?) is they stick to themselves for the most part. I had one that looked like he had a fresh cut got a little silly when I passed him in his own lane, but the jackwad was running even with the cab of a semi for about 2 miles. Anyway, I steamed past him on my SV, flashing my hi beam and giving him plenty of room to run his line, which was dead in the middle of the lane. He commences to find 4th and try to catch up. I was already in 5th, and just kept it. every time he would get close to me, at about 95, I'd just thump it and stretch away. Really got on his nerves! Anyway, I got near my exit, slowed to around 80, and took the right lane. This dude rolls up beside me, flips me off, and points at his 1% patch! Funniest thing I ever saw. I gave him my best smile and Gold Winger wave, and took my exit!
There are some lesser known MCs in the Dallas Ft. Worth area, but I never have any issues with those folks either. That's my one and only "interaction" with patched folks. They usually keep to themselves.
On Triumph, the purists will crap if you put repops on to get rid of lucas trash!
In general, the more HOG and HD branded "attire" an individual is running, the less experience they seem to have.

Back