Headlight Issues

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all
I think I have a charging problem but I'm not sure. My headlight is not lighting up until I rev the engine way up. This just started happening yesterday. Can someone point me to the right thread that will help me diagnose the problem. I've been searching the threads here, but is there some sort of flow chart or something to start with this, then do this...etc?
Does anyone know if this may be a charging problem or something else?
Thanks for you help in advance.:thumbsup:

Having just been through a very similar situation, look at your alternator brushes. This is easy and cheap too!

Having just been through a very similar situation, look at your alternator brushes. This is easy and cheap too!

Will do. So, I'll ask the stupid question, where is the alternator located?
And is there a clear break down of the bike and it's parts?

Thanks

Thank you very much guys!!! I'll be tackling this tomorrow. I'm pissed I have to deal with this during riding season.
Again thanks for your help. Hopefully, it's just the brushes and it will all be good until fall, when I can redo the wiring.

Well I just checked the brushes and they are at 12 mm, so that is not the problem. I was reading through Curlys guide and I got to step 4 to check the voltage going to the brushes when the ignition is on. The guide states it should be the same or very close to the battery, mine is way off. So I took apart the ignition and I can't figure out what to do from here...the red lead coming from the battery is carrying the voltage fine, when the ignition is turned to the on position, the voltage drop on the brown?? I have the ignition switch completely apart, so I'm using the direct "disc" to check my voltage. Red is fine the brown is not when on? Where is the loss coming from?
Any ideas???

If you have the switch all apart you will see the contacts inside they should be bright and shiny. If not,clean them. With the switch apart you won't get a connection through the switch.
Clean the contacts, reassemble the switch and test it.

Is there any corrosion on the solder connections where the wires hook in? This can cause to much resistance and cut the voltage back.
Maybe have to get a different switch.

Ok so I've go through most of the wiring and I'm trying to button up the basic electrical. I'm still having an issue with my headlight and I don't know if it's the light or wiring. I want to use the stock switch and I pulled the reserve light unit, so now I'm tring to get the hi lo working. What I can't seem to figure out is what wires do I need to make the high low work?
I figured out the the blue/green and the blue/yellow are controlled by the switch. So in a very basic setup if I hook the two wires and ground to the light I should be able to switch between the hi lo, correct?
Right now both wire show the same voltage when switched to said beam, however, only I'm only getting the low beam. After taking apart the switch I have no power on the green wire. I looked at thw stock wiring diagram and I don't understand the wiring for the high beam can someone explain it?
Thanks in advance.

Without the reserve lighting the 12 volt feed to the hi-low switch is blue/yellow. The switch will send power to the green or yellow by position. You won't use the blue/green.
xshl.jpg

Back