Health Thread

That article reminds me of the expose' of the United Way back in the '80s.
UnitedWay.jpg

It was found that their administrative expenses were about 85% of their income...

Hard to see anyone doing it more efficiently though. I wonder what the proportion is for medicare?

My biggest fear was a tumor in the pituitary gland, it’s in a small space in your skull pretty much straight back from the bridge of your nose. The optic nerve shares that small space and a tumor would start to push on the nerve and cause vision loss. The surgery to remove a tumor there is pretty invasive and unpleasant.

I hope I can give you a little reassurance about Pituitary tumours I have had a massive one for years . Its called a Macro Prolactinoma

In 99.9% cases they are always benign which is very reassuring. I suspect I have had mine for at least 20 years or more and fortunately it has not changed in size for the past 2x years . I have just had my annual retinopathy scan which fortunately is still clear although I now have a floater . (we are not talking about poo here ok :))

Frequently they hugely increase the production of a Hormone called Prolactin and Prolactin is the bodies agonist for Testosterone production. The upshot of this is that the bodies Testosterone production plummets to near zero which causes severe chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, and of course zero libido .
testosterone treatment can correct this though

The most common treatment for Pituitary tumours is medication. An agonist like Cabergoline can significantly reduce the size of a Pituitary tumour and within 12 months or so most patients can stop taking it

I would be very surprised if surgery was considered as a first option unless the tumour was actually pressing on the optic nerve.

I've had 3x MRI scans of my brain now and they are very straightforward. The scanner is incredibly noisy but I usually relax so much that I nearly fall asleep.

The scan last about 20 minutes and is made up of about 8x short scans varying in length from 2-6 minutes . At some point in the middle they inject a dye into your vein in your arm which is just like any other injection and I experienced absolutely zero effects from the contrast media although initially I was a little anxious about it making me feel dizzy or sick but there is no effects at all.

So don't worry ok !;):)

Today (Sun. Mar. 24) I will ride my motorcycle to a bike club breakfast - my bill = likely ~ $10

You was robbed !....:)

thats a damn good Health Care system you have there in Canada. if it was'nt so bloody cold I'd have considered emigrating when I was younger lol

Hows your recovery going ? can you walk and climb stairs without pain now ?

You was robbed !....:)

thats a damn good Health Care system you have there in Canada. if it was'nt so bloody cold I'd have considered emigrating when I was younger lol

Hows your recovery going ? can you walk and climb stairs without pain now ?

Recovery is going very well aside from a bit of numbness and swelling. I can walk, climb stairs, drive, ride and sleep - so all good!

Pete

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
those are all good things but have you dared to kickstart a bike yet?

Sadly, no. Lucille has been extremely accomodating of my new knee and she has started instantaneously every time this spring. As you may know, the stupid old b!tch....errrr...I mean, my darling Lucille is not normally such a lady in her dealings with me.

I do have a pal who owns three (3!!) stock Yamaha SR500s and I have been badgering him to sell me one...so, I may be in the kick-start community sometime in the future.

Just because you have electric start doesn't mean you have to use it.

Yeah, true - but there are a couple of guys who ride reluctant-to-start Brit-bikes in my group and I do enjoy thumbing the button while they are heaving and sweating...

That article reminds me of the expose' of the United Way back in the '80s.
View attachment 138795

It was found that their administrative expenses were about 85% of their income...
Interesting expose' on the generic drug industry on 60 Minutes, tonight. But I found this in the Saturday Evening Post (sorry for it's condition) and noone wants to even think about this subject. This argument is an exerpt from a book written by a consulting gastroenterologist at Cork University, Ireland. Dr. Seamus O'Mahoney th argues the point that we are living too long for various reasons. I felt guilty after reading it... (last pics, from Bozeman, Co.)

Attachments

• post article on aging 001.jpg
    post article on aging 001.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 212
  • post article on aging 002.jpg
    post article on aging 002.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 178
  • seattle trip, 149.jpg
    seattle trip, 149.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 200
  • seattle trip, 018.jpg
    seattle trip, 018.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 159
  • seattle trip, 013.jpg
    seattle trip, 013.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 156
Interesting expose' on the generic drug industry on 60 Minutes, tonight. But I found this in the Saturday Evening Post (sorry for it's condition) and noone wants to even think about this subject. This argument is an exerpt from a book written by a consulting gastroenterologist at Cork University, Ireland. Dr. Seamus O'Mahoney th argues the point that we are living too long for various reasons. I felt guilty after reading it... (last pics, from Bozeman, Co.)

Hi GB,
If the bike rallies I plan to attend this summer don't kill me off beforehand I'll be 82 years old come August 21st
and I hope to still be kickin' and screamin' into my 90s. And I feel no guilt whatsoever.
What I reckon is, ol' Doc O'Mahoney's trade must have given him a shitty outlook on life.

what a crazy concept....we are living too long ?
Thats the excuse that the Government use to explain the current crisis in the National Health Service . The real reason is prolific immigration and lack of investment for the past decade.

82 years young Fred and still riding......... thats an inspiration to all of us . I hope I'm still around at 82 let alone riding my bike .

Thats the excuse that the Government use to explain the current crisis in the National Health Service . The real reason is prolific immigration and lack of investment for the past decade.
82 years young Fred and still riding......... thats an inspiration to all of us . I hope I'm still around at 82 let alone riding my bike .

Hi peanut,
these days my riding is like nostalgia, it's still OK but it's not like it was. Limited to short rides on my sidecar rig or
(hopefully, if my son ever gets it running) on my newly acquired 100cc Yamaha Twinjet.

Hi GB,
If the bike rallies I plan to attend this summer don't kill me off beforehand I'll be 82 years old come August 21st
and I hope to still be kickin' and screamin' into my 90s. And I feel no guilt whatsoever.
What I reckon is, ol' Doc O'Mahoney's trade must have given him a shitty outlook on life.
Fred, you are living proof that age is a state of mind. You go, guy!

Last edited:
If that is you in the last photo GB, I’d say you look pretty danged good...

....but perhaps you should consider a name-change. ;)

I agree that there are too many people, but the problem is procreation instead of immigration. And is also a cause of climate change.

Back