Health Thread

A push market in medicine reminds of a TV show that was on about some dental treatment chain for children, with a cute name. The dentists there were coerced to provide treatment to little kids that was uncalled for, or insane. One child had a reaction to anesthesia and died, and then the parents found out the procedure had been uncalled for. Adults should watch out for dental chains too, according to my brother who is a dentist... He worked for one of the big ones briefly and quit, worried he might get sued for malpractice if he stayed.

+1 what Goldenboy said in #259. Also, it took me almost a year before I was comfortable kneeling on my replacement in Church (or anywhere else for that matter)... You'll get there. Slow & steady wins the race! :thumbsup:

+1 what Goldenboy said in #259. Also, it took me almost a year before I was comfortable kneeling on my replacement in Church (or anywhere else for that matter)... You'll get there. Slow & steady wins the race! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys - it does go up & down daily.

Pete

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75
Interesting read, not saying I agree with everything he says. I do think he brings up some good points. My take from this is you have to take quality of life into consideration. I'm sure we have all known people that when they passed either you said it or thought it or heard it said that the end was a blessing. My mother will be 96 next month and she has made it known for years that when it's time it's time. She would rather let nature run it's course than lay in a bed and just exist.

My mother will be 96 next month and she has made it known for years that when it's time it's time. She would rather let nature run it's course than lay in a bed and just exist.

Just be sure she puts that in writing and she makes it known to all the family! Also if she has to go to doctor or hospital be sure to have a copy of that in hand during admitting or if being transferred to another hospital!

I say this because a few years back my dad who had also made those feelings clear to the family and even let the local hospital know about his DNR request when he was admitted for major organ failures due to an infection of some kind. Well that was fine till the local hospital decided the best thing was to transfer him to a bigger hospital near by as his condition got worse. Seems somewhere along the way the DNR forms got lost or unnoticed and when he stopped breathing at the new hospital they hooked him up to all kinds of stuff to get him going again.

There were some very tense times between mom, my brother and sister and doctors. It got to the point where they actually had to remove the breathing support from dad so he could tell them to get the crap off him! He did end up hanging on for a couple weeks, but quality of life was sure lacking.

Guess mom learned a lesson from that one, she had a nice talk with my sister one day and as sis was leaving mentioned she felt a little tired. Neighbor stopped in latter that afternoon and found our mom had passed away during the day. Other than maybe some minor outpatient surgeries I think the only time mom was in a hospital as a patient was when she had us kids!

... Small nerves were cut and will regenerate to a degree over time, returning more sensation...

Friend of mine was a lab tech at BAMC, who also worked the burn ward. They administered aspirin, claimed that it adjusted the pH around the nerves and sped-up regeneration. Alpha-Lipoic-Acid is also helpful...

Friend of mine was a lab tech at BAMC, who also worked the burn ward. They administered aspirin, claimed that it adjusted the pH around the nerves and sped-up regeneration. Alpha-Lipoic-Acid is also helpful...

Wintergreen oil! seriously look it up. serious side effects, toxicity risk though.

I'll share a little about my health battles. About five years ago, I was walking through Walmart with both hands full. I'm stubborn and didn't get a cart and usually just get what I need and leave. Walking to the checkout, my pants dropped to my ankles. Dropped everything and pulled my pants up then collected everything and left. Though nothing of it and chalked it up to me using the wrong belt hole. Now, to back up a few years, when I was in the Air Force, I would hit the gym religiously. I got pretty chisled then. When I got out, I stopped going to them gym but still ate healthy enough so I lost the lean muscle but still remained strong enough. I'm only 5'-5" and weighed in at 190. Fast forward to the Walmart fiasco, I was down to 143. Not trying to diet, just losing weight. The company I worked for in 2014 sent me on a business trip to Idaho Falls in 2014 and I just could not get enough water in me. I was constantly thirsty. My customer said that I may be diabetic. I brushed him off, thinking "I've been healthy my whole life and always keep in decent shape. No way am I diabetic." I got curious one evening and looked it up. Sure enough, my symptoms matched. Scheduled an appointment with my doctor for some blood work and when I went in, he didn't want to do the blood test thinking that something else was wrong. I convinced him to do it anyway. Three days later the doc calls and says to come in NOW. So now I'm panicked. I go in and he says that my A1C level is 17.4. Normal level is 6.0. Yikes! So I started insulin and some meds to compact this evil. I'm pretty stable now, but still have some days where it drags my ass down to the point that I cannot focus or function. Working on my bike is helping me by giving me a distraction that I need. I'm type 2, so I don't have the really bad type 1 but when my blood sugar is off, I can tell immediately just by my mood swings. I will have to take Victoza shots and meds for the rest of my life now. No two ways about it. I wish I could get off all medication, but if I do, the end results are severe for me I think.

Anyway, that's my personal struggle. I'll apologize now for if I ever come on here and start to be a little "off" or combative. Mostly I'm just a quiet guy getting through my day. Thanks for listening.

Luckily you need prescriptions for these drugs and if you don't need them, hopefully your doctor won't prescribe them.

Yes, but as pointed out earlier doctors are encouraged to peddle unnecessarily, (at times), and with monetary inducement, some medications..........if the public are seeing an add, advocating from a manufacturer, a solution for a medical problem then they are likely to ask their doctor for that drug.........How do people know if, or not, weather the medication in the add is from the same manufacturer who is pushing it through the doctors............Sounds a bit paranoid but this sort of shit goes on all the time......

Yes, but as pointed out earlier doctors are encouraged to peddle unnecessarily, (at times), and with monetary inducement, some medications..........if the public are seeing an add, advocating from a manufacturer, a solution for a medical problem then they are likely to ask their doctor for that drug.........How do people know if, or not, weather the medication in the add is from the same manufacturer who is pushing it through the doctors............Sounds a bit paranoid but this sort of shit goes on all the time......
I agree with what you said, but since the Oxycontin investigations began, doctors are being scrutinized in the US for monetary compensation by drug makers. This is no longer allowed as it is considered an ethical breach. Although there are still some non monetary incentives. Doctors have also been compensated by the drug makers for endorsing drugs during seminars given by them to people who use their hospitals. This is no longer considered proper. I am skeptical of the motives of some doctors I have dealt with, but I have to believe that most have more integrity than to expose themselves to behavior which can jeopardize their careers. And as the one ingesting the drugs given me I will do as much as I can to read the information on the drug from various sources online and the information packet which you can also find online. Patient reviews, although not as reliable due to their other overlying conditions and varying states of health, can also offer some useful information in your decision making, as you do have the final say and first right of refusal.

I'll share a little about my health battles. About five years ago, I was walking through Walmart with both hands full. I'm stubborn and didn't get a cart and usually just get what I need and leave. Walking to the checkout, my pants dropped to my ankles. Dropped everything and pulled my pants up then collected everything and left. Though nothing of it and chalked it up to me using the wrong belt hole. Now, to back up a few years, when I was in the Air Force, I would hit the gym religiously. I got pretty chisled then. When I got out, I stopped going to them gym but still ate healthy enough so I lost the lean muscle but still remained strong enough. I'm only 5'-5" and weighed in at 190. Fast forward to the Walmart fiasco, I was down to 143. Not trying to diet, just losing weight. The company I worked for in 2014 sent me on a business trip to Idaho Falls in 2014 and I just could not get enough water in me. I was constantly thirsty. My customer said that I may be diabetic. I brushed him off, thinking "I've been healthy my whole life and always keep in decent shape. No way am I diabetic." I got curious one evening and looked it up. Sure enough, my symptoms matched. Scheduled an appointment with my doctor for some blood work and when I went in, he didn't want to do the blood test thinking that something else was wrong. I convinced him to do it anyway. Three days later the doc calls and says to come in NOW. So now I'm panicked. I go in and he says that my A1C level is 17.4. Normal level is 6.0. Yikes! So I started insulin and some meds to compact this evil. I'm pretty stable now, but still have some days where it drags my ass down to the point that I cannot focus or function. Working on my bike is helping me by giving me a distraction that I need. I'm type 2, so I don't have the really bad type 1 but when my blood sugar is off, I can tell immediately just by my mood swings. I will have to take Victoza shots and meds for the rest of my life now. No two ways about it. I wish I could get off all medication, but if I do, the end results are severe for me I think.

Anyway, that's my personal struggle. I'll apologize now for if I ever come on here and start to be a little "off" or combative. Mostly I'm just a quiet guy getting through my day. Thanks for listening.
Hi, Shawn. peanut posted a video of Ivor Cummings on the 2nd page of the health thread on insulin resistance leading to type ll diabetes. It was very enlightening and I believe this will be of interest to you because it explains the mechanism. Other than that I really liked Allegheny State Park, near you and dream of someday staying in one of those log cabins and cross country skiing there. We drove the length of the Appalachians from Georgia to the Alleghenies on the highest roads, one year for two weeks in August as it was coolest there and my GMC van did not come with AC. Mostly it was better to travel at night w/o AC in summer...

As some of you may know I have been Diabetic and Hypoththyroid for many years .
lately several other serious ailments have been added including stage 3 Hypertension .

Like many of you I have a Family History of heart attacks ........my G father dying at 69 and my Father suffering a massive aortic aneurysm at 65 .
As I am now 67 you can imagine my current concern .

I have been studying the causes of all my conditions for several years now in order to try to understand how these conditions came about. I wanted to know what it was that caused these conditions and could they be reversed naturally rather than be treated with drugs. As a youngster I had been a National swimmer ,County Athlete and enthusiastic sportsman /triathlete ,... healthy strong and fit I had never had a days illness until I hit 35 so how did all that just disappear leaving a sick man with numerous life threatening diseases ?....

There are as many diverse and conflicting opinions and therories out there as there are quack remedies its little wonder that we have been left with little idea of whom to believe or trust .
Medical institutions, Food Manufacturers Big Pharma, Nutritionists, Government advisory bodies they all have vested interests and profits to consider so who and what to believe ?

For the past 30 years the US and UK Governments diatetary guidelines have recommended that we follow a low Fat, High carbohydrate diet in order to lower risk of hear attacks, Coronary Heart Disease and strokes . Like most I took the advice seriously and for 30 years didn't eat any butter, whole milk , fatty meat , lard or other food sources high in fat. For 30 years I didn't eat a single burger . My diet consisted of a mostly protein and carbs . Over the following 30 years
I have put on 3 stones in weight , lost all my muscle and been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism T2 Diabetes, Prolactinemia, Hypertension, Lipidemia, Arthritis and various other ailments and surely that cannot all be due to reducing exercise and getting older .

There is currently a massive drive around the World that is trying to reverse Government guidelines that recommend a high carb low fat diet which we now realise is the cause of coronary heart disease and all these other conditions . Its the high Insulin levels from our high sugar and carb diets that has been killing us in our millions.

We have been lied to and misled for 30 years .

It is believed that currently well over half of all Americans and British citizens currently have Diabetes whether diagnosed or not.

I really hope that many of you will make the 10 minutes of your time to watch this youtube video . I really believe it will make you think and may save your life .
It is a recent address to the House of Commons at Westminster by Zoe Harcombe a PhD obesity researcher .

shawnkva, no problem! With the bunch we have on this forum being a little "off" would probably be considered "normal".

About the only advice I could give, and it's worth every penny you are paying for it, try to learn s much as possible about your condition and don't believe everything some say. You are probably the best judge of what works for you.

Well figured I post a little more in this forum related to health.

Last night our five year old grandson and his mom were visiting for the weekend. He and his mom were getting ready for bed when he started not feeling good and ended up loosing his supper. After a bit he felt good enough to go to bed but I guess he got up around 1:30 and his grandma got up and the two of them spent the night on the couch in living room.

When I got my butt out of bed at 7:00AM he was still curled up next to his grandma trying to watch cartoons but told me his tummy still hurt.

His mom was thinking she would take him home but as it is about a 2 1/2 hour ride thought it would be best to run into the Urgent Care place in town to see if there was anything they could give him to make him feel better for the ride home.

After they had a look at him they felt he should go to the Children's Hospital in Syracuse just to be safe. Well after doing some checks including an ultra sound I just learned they have decided it was not just a tummy ache but appendicitis! When I last talked to my wife at ten after two the surgeon was in the room explaining what they were going to be doing.

I have a little idea of what he might be going through as I had a ruptured appendix 37 years ago! But at least I was 29 years old and could understand somethings better than a five year old kid who's only priority for the weekend was playing with Legos with his grandpa!

I also feel a little bad for his dad as he had to stay home this weekend as he was "on call" at the college he works for in case they have a problem as he works on the grounds keeping staff so snow or anything else might need someone to come in on short notice. Now he has to drive 2 1/2 hours while thinking of his boy heading in to surgery!

I

shawnkva I hope that you will tell us more about your daily battle with Diabetes . Goldenboy created this valuable thread just so that we can all share our health experiences and help with support and advice.

I know what you are going through and you have my sincere sympathy. At times you can feel like nobody really understands all the symptoms you suffer with and how your mood and emotions can go up and down .you can be in tears one moment and flying off the handle the next and stress and anxiety make life difficult.

My HbA1c level was 128mmol/l when I was diagnosed and I managed to get my levels down to below 60mmol/l within 8x weeks simply by eliminating carbohydrates from my diet and replacing them with Fat and protein. I lost 1 stone in the process.

It is the carbohydrates and sugars in our diet that is the direct cause of Diabetes and by following some sort of KETO diet blood glucose levels fall rapidly within a week or two. You'll find you need less fluids and pee a lot less not needing to go to the bathroom all night long. Fatigue headaches and tingling in fingers and toes diminish and vision slowly recovers some .

You don't say anything about any dietary changes so I do hope that you are getting some sensible dietary advice from your physician about cutting out all sugar ,potatoes bread cake biscuits pastry pasta and other starchy carbs and replacing them with Protein and healthy Fats like meat eggs cream nuts etc .

My Partner eats a lot of fruit every day under the impression that it is a healthy option for weight loss and was surprised when I pointed out that all that fruit contained more than 10x teaspoons of sugar . Add the 2x teaspoons of sugar she has in her tea every day and she is consuming up to 16x teaspoons of sugar daily !

Back