Health Thread

Yup, I had 3 stroke events (the last one was while I was hospitalized). Several CAT scans and finally a MRI before they removed
a 70% blockage in my right carotid artery. This was Nov.2. The incision is almost healed and I'm getting better daily. The doctor
put me on Plavix for the rest of my life.
Best wishes for a good prognosis.

Guess I won't get much sympathy for having a ruptured tendon for the pinky finger on right hand, huh? Doctor didn't even manage to leave me with a neat scar! I'll have to work harder in the next year!

Like they say "Getting old isn't for sissies!" Then I guess until someone can assure us there are XS650's in the after life we should do our best to hang around here as long as we can!

... I think you’re probably referring to a detached retina?

Bob, that's one of the symptoms of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD). Often starts in the periphery regions. Can be found and tracked with periodic retinal scans. I get annual eye exams, including retinal scans (you shoves your face into a rubbery box, followed by a bright green flash. Disorientation follows.). I have the beginning stages of AMD, but way out beyond the periphery. I use this supplement, and the AMD hasn't changed the last 4 years.
EyeAntioxidant01.jpg EyeAntioxidant02.jpg

My vision is still 20/15, but have to use easy-readers for reading the tiny text on my smartphone...

Bob, that's one of the symptoms of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD). Often starts in the periphery regions. Can be found and tracked with periodic retinal scans. I get annual eye exams, including retinal scans (you shoves your face into a rubbery box, followed by a bright green flash. Disorientation follows.). I have the beginning stages of AMD, but way out beyond the periphery. I use this supplement, and the AMD hasn't changed the last 4 years.
View attachment 135259 View attachment 135260

My vision is still 20/15, but have to use easy-readers for reading the tiny text on my smartphone...

Thanks Steve, that’s good info. I’ll ask my doctor about it.

Weird vision issues can be related to eyestrain and computer use. Take lots of breaks, and also if you can shift the color of the screen away from blue and towards red it helps (a few programs out there to do that, like Redshift http://jonls.dk/redshift/ )

So I’ve been knocking out some routine annual Dr visits and one of them that is usually the most nothing visit of them all tripped me up. I’ve gone to the eye doctor every year since I was twelve years old and usually just leave with a new prescription for glasses. This time however it was discovered that I’ve developed a blind spot in the periphery of my left eye.
I’ve already had my eyes dialated and had a close visual inspection by an ophthalmologist and had a glaucoma test. I’m slated to get a detailed retina scan in nine days which may or may not shed some more light on the cause.
If they don’t see something obvious then I’ll probably be scheduled for an MRI to see if I’ve had a small stroke , a small blood clot that has affected the portion of my brain that processes vision, or if I have a tumor on my pituitary gland which in turn puts pressure on the optic nerve. If it was a blood clot, then I’ll probably be put on blood thinners and a statin.
If it is a tumor then my life just got very complicated.
I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself here, there are more tests to be done.
Also, around Christmas, I developed a hernia, it’s more uncomfortable than painful but it needs to be fixed.
I haven’t seen a Dr. for that yet. I really wanted to get my bike up and running before having that surgery.
Ah well, this will all get sorted.........one way or another.

Hi Mailman,
I woke up with a 9 thru 12 o'clock grey card in front of my right eye mebbe 15 years ago.
Screaming panicked to the clinic & then the hospital. They said it was a mini-stroke.
The eye-doctor's gadgets say it's still there but my brain didn't notice it after 3 months or so.
Get your hernia fixed BEFORE your innards cauliflower out of it, eh?
And stay off the statins! They'll fuck you up big time.
Using them is like taking light surface rust off chrome with an industrial sandblaster.

OK, so I am finally putting my knee update in the place where it belongs (and my apologies for all the hijacks).

Yesterday, I drove the car a couple of km to pick up a sandwich for lunch and the drive went great. I had no difficulty with the pedals and felt confident that I was safe.

Today, I had another physio apt. and got to 120 deg. of knee bend and did 2 km on the bike with no problem. I drove to a restaurant and had lunch with a couple of friends and then went to my office and did a couple of hours work this afternoon.

I can now get around using either a cane or no walking aids at all and I haven’t had any painkillers for about 36 hours. The pain isn’t gone, but it’s not bad - the key sensation is numbness. I can climb stairs in the normal right-left fashion and I have walked several hundred meters at a time without too much difficulty.

I’m not there yet, but it’s been 5 weeks, and I’m getting close.

I really want to thank all of the Forum members who have sympathized, encouraged, advised and badgered me through this delightful and highly enjoyable ( :wtf:) experience. What a great community - and so few of us have ever even met face to face!

Your kindness will not be forgotten and I will do my very best to repay it with interest.

Pete

Last edited:
That’s terrific news Pete! It might not have seemed like it at the time, but to be doing so well after just 5 weeks is very encouraging. I’m so happy you finally have that taken care of. Enjoy your fresh start!

Way to go, Pete! I couldn't wait to get off the pills (so I felt confident to drive again). Your progress is pretty much right on schedule. You should be back to "normal" in about another 3 weeks. That's when I had 135* and the doc told me I had to go back to work. By the end of my first week back, I was working off a ladder! I was nervous as hell, but the knee didn't fail me. I never looked back. I'd trade the occasional dull ache for the constant feeling I had an axe sticking out of my leg any time. Time is a great healer, but a poor beautician. :wink2:

That’s an interesting read Doug.

“If health professionals do not follow standards and guidelines – for example don't ask you to take a cholesterol test when you reach a certain age and recommend the cholesterol-lowering drug – they are in danger of being viewed as incompetent practitioners.”

I feel this exact scenario happened to me during my last annual physical. My Dr wanted to put me on statins because he said I was in a higher risk group due to my age and blood pressure.
I have no other risk factors. Zero!
My blood pressure is well controlled.
I am not diabetic, don’t smoke or drink, am not overweight, I exercises, and yet he still wanted me on it. I never did.

Back