How do you know when you've become an Old Fart?

A few months back I had a pair of "Viet Nam" style boots resoled with a flatter sole to me my riding boots. Why not? They were broke in and cool in the summer. They were done in a shop not far from me and they guy ran or is running a hot rodded CB900. We had a good discussion about bikes and trips.

I can recall or did a lot of those things. I had a pair of "Viet Nam" style boots re-soled with a vibram sole. They were broke in and cool in the summer. Cheaper than a lot of other riding boots too.
Sorry about the double entry. Laptop weirded out on me and I wasn't sure if the first entry got through or not at the time.

Last edited:
Forgot a couple. If you ever had a milkman that delivered to your neighborhood.
View attachment 131009

If you’ve ever had a 10 cent cup of coffee
View attachment 131010
I'm having a flash back; My Mom would take me to Woolworths. She would buy curtains and stationary and I might get a painted turtle or a couple of gold fish. And we would get a grilled cheese, BLT, or peanut butter and jelly and a fountain drink, or milk shake. It was the only game in town. There were no malls. We would go by bus to town before my Mom got a car. Everything had to be done together. Shopping, a haircut, a quick lunch and maybe a visit to a studio photographer, or shoe maker. And before that there were no supermarkets, either. So, it was a trip to the butcher, the baker, the fruit and vegetable store. And then, dry goods, like cereal, and canned goods, soap, flour and Crisco. And on really cold mornings, the milk bottles on the front porch would freeze, and the cream would come out the tops of the bottles and curl over like candy canes. That was scooped off and mixed with sugar and served after dinner like ice cream. We also had a coal delivery every two weeks down a chute into the basement in a small room next to the coal stove. The truck would come early anFeatured Threadsd send the coal down the chute with a tremendous clatter. My Dad would bring me down to fill the coal stove. He would shovel in a big scoop of coal, then let me scoop up two or three chunks with a little shovel and throw them in the fire, and we took turns. Then, after breakfast of oatmeal and Ovaltine and a spoon of cod liver oil, or Geratol, I'd watch my Mom and Grandma sew or bake bread, or start a dish for dinner which would cook all day long, like a lamb stew or a spaghetti sauce filled with pork, steak and sausage. But as for the shoe maker, once again, shoes are getting pricey. This week, my wife and I both had soles glued back on shoes we bought and put away, because we both bought extra pairs we liked, and stored away. I bought a couple of pairs of Spaldine sneakers, once and when one pair wore out , I pulled out the last pair and walked the soles right off in two days. A comparable sneaker might cost $85. The shoe maker glued back the soles on an otherwise new pair of sneakers for $10.

Last edited:
I'm having a flash back; My Mom would take me to Woolworths. She would buy curtains and stationary and I might get a painted turtle or a couple of gold fish. And we would get a grilled cheese, BLT, or peanut butter and jelly and a fountain drink, or milk shake. It was the only game in town. There were no malls. We would go by bus to town before my Mom got a car. Everything had to be done together. Shopping, a haircut, a quick lunch and maybe a visit to a studio photographer, or shoe maker. And before that there were no supermarkets, either. So, it was a trip to the butcher, the baker, the fruit and vegetable store. And then, dry goods, like cereal, and canned goods, soap, flour and Crisco. And on really cold mornings, the milk bottles on the front porch would freeze, and the cream would come out the tops of the bottles and curl over like candy canes. That was scooped off and mixed with sugar and served after dinner like ice cream. We also had a coal delivery every two weeks down a chute into the basement in a small room next to the coal stove. The truck would come early anFeatured Threadsd send the coal down the chute with a tremendous clatter. My Dad would bring me down to fill the coal stove. He would shovel in a big scoop of coal, then let me scoop up two or three chunks with a little shovel and throw them in the fire, and we took turns. Then, after breakfast of oatmeal and Ovaltine and a spoon of cod liver oil, or Geratol, I'd watch my Mom and Grandma sew or bake bread, or start a dish for dinner which would cook all day long, like a lamb stew or a spaghetti sauce filled with pork, steak and sausage. But as for the shoe maker, once again, shoes are getting pricey. This week, my wife and I both had soles glued back on shoes we bought and put away, because we both bought extra pairs we liked, and stored away. I bought a couple of pairs of Spaldine sneakers, once and when one pair wore out , I pulled out the last pair and walked the soles right off in two days. A comparable sneaker might cost $85. The shoe maker glued back the soles on an otherwise new pair of sneakers for $10.

Sounds like you had a very classic American childhood, very nice really. I know every generation thinks the time they grew up in was better than the present, but I REALLY do believe that to be true now. My wife and I talk about this all the time. I believe the post WW2 era in America were the best years of our country. The fifties were the best, a time of unprecedented prosperity for the average Joe, home ownership, new cars, new products to make our lives easier we’re constantly being introduced , life was good. To be a kid or a teen then was really a time of innocence and wonder.
The sixties and seventies had their share of problems , but for a kid growing up , it was still a time when a kid could be a kid. They didn’t grow up so fast, know too much too soon. We weren’t so affected by consumerism , we didn’t dress in the latest most expensive styles. My mom bought me new jeans at the beginning of the school year and when summer break came around, she cut the legs off and they became my summer shorts. We didn’t have computers and cell phones, we actually socialized and went over to friends houses to play and we rode our bikes to get around. When we got into high school we got jobs and saved our money and bought cars to hot rod and motorcycles to terrorize the neighbors with.
I feel so sad for the kids of today. Completely absorbed in their electronic world. You know, I have a grand daughter in 2nd grade and part of her curriculum is HOW TO SOCIALIZE with other kids. I have a teenage grand daughter and her friend lives just a few doors down, and the only way they hang out together is to face time each other on their smart phones.

Sorry to rant. To get back to your comment, one of my fondest memories was going the the local Five and Dime and going to the grill with my sister and getting grilled cheese sandwiches with a dill pickle spear and a Coke with chocolate syrup pumped in it. And they weren’t really very large. They came in a paper cone cup.
1AF4A728-FA67-4ED4-91B7-A95496485907.jpeg

Another favorite memory of mine was going to the gas station with my dad and him giving me money for the pop machine and getting an ice cold bottle of Dr. Pepper! At 10-2 and 4 it’s time to drink more!
D943B8C9-58D4-463F-9061-C1B70BD3526A.jpeg

Sounds like you had a very classic American childhood, very nice really. I know every generation thinks the time they grew up in was better than the present, but I REALLY do believe that to be true now. My wife and I talk about this all the time. I believe the post WW2 era in America were the best years of our country. The fifties were the best, a time of unprecedented prosperity for the average Joe, home ownership, new cars, new products to make our lives easier we’re constantly being introduced , life was good. To be a kid or a teen then was really a time of innocence and wonder.
The sixties and seventies had their share of problems , but for a kid growing up , it was still a time when a kid could be a kid. They didn’t grow up so fast, know too much too soon. We weren’t so affected by consumerism , we didn’t dress in the latest most expensive styles. My mom bought me new jeans at the beginning of the school year and when summer break came around, she cut the legs off and they became my summer shorts. We didn’t have computers and cell phones, we actually socialized and went over to friends houses to play and we rode our bikes to get around. When we got into high school we got jobs and saved our money and bought cars to hot rod and motorcycles to terrorize the neighbors with.
I feel so sad for the kids of today. Completely absorbed in their electronic world. You know, I have a grand daughter in 2nd grade and part of her curriculum is HOW TO SOCIALIZE with other kids. I have a teenage grand daughter and her friend lives just a few doors down, and the only way they hang out together is to face time each other on their smart phones.

Sorry to rant. To get back to your comment, one of my fondest memories was going the the local Five and Dime and going to the grill with my sister and getting grilled cheese sandwiches with a dill pickle spear and a Coke with chocolate syrup pumped in it. And they weren’t really very large. They came in a paper cone cup.
View attachment 131032
Another favorite memory of mine was going to the gas station with my dad and him giving me money for the pop machine and getting an ice cold bottle of Dr. Pepper! At 10-2 and 4 it’s time to drink more!
View attachment 131033
Yeah, Mailman, lucky to be born where and when, and not only that I always felt blessed that I wasn't born an insect. It could be a hell of a lot worse.

Dad worked for American Airlines at Tulsa OK in the engine overhaul shop. Because of his job our family would go to New York city almost every summer to visit Grandma or Uncle Rudi in Connecticut. We had to dress in our finest clothes because company rules and also we traveled first class! 707 was the plane used at the time. Real meals on plates! Astro Vision! A small black and white TV hooked up to a camera in the nose wheel well, that allowed first class passengers to see what the pilot saw as long as the plane was on the ground. It was a novelty at the time. This was around 1963-1968 time period. Later we would start going to scout camps. It was a big deal to travel by air and be a Jetsetter! I guess I got Dad's wrenching gene because I keep the family's vehicles on the road (to a point) and I keep my bikes out of the shops (except for tire mounting and machining).

Dad worked for American Airlines at Tulsa OK in the engine overhaul shop. Because of his job our family would go to New York city almost every summer to visit Grandma or Uncle Rudi in Connecticut. We had to dress in our finest clothes because company rules and also we traveled first class! 707 was the plane used at the time. Real meals on plates! Astro Vision! A small black and white TV hooked up to a camera in the nose wheel well, that allowed first class passengers to see what the pilot saw as long as the plane was on the ground. It was a novelty at the time. This was around 1963-1968 time period. Later we would start going to scout camps. It was a big deal to travel by air and be a Jetsetter! I guess I got Dad's wrenching gene because I keep the family's vehicles on the road (to a point) and I keep my bikes out of the shops (except for tire mounting and machining).
During the 1963 Wold's Fair in Flushing Meadows, NY, my Dad made me and my little brother both get crew cuts and wear sport jackets and ties to the event, telling us we have to look presentable because there would be foreign dignitaries present...That made me a target for "Russian Haircuts" in school. Remember? One of your classmates would put you in a headlock and he and others would rub their knuckles across your head, which burned. Our next door neighbor was a stewardess for TWA and came from Switzerland. Once she brought me back a wonderous toy. It was a chrome plated Jaguar sedan 6" long. It has a little traffic cop as a wind-up key. It has a strong mainspring and Swiss clockworks as the mechanism. It has 3 forward gears and can be programmed to travel in a circle , figure "8" or a straight line.

Last edited:
When you fit extra lights and realise that yes, they are good, but you remember when the standard lighting was adequate for your eyes. Basically, the extra lighting has just compensated for your lesser level of night vision

Hi Paul,
no, didn't notice that, you ol' spoilsport you.
I once read that Polar Bear liver was rich enough with Vitamin A that it'd kill you but the rest of it was OK.
I'd suppose that wolf would eat OK if you avoided the organ meats but as for eating beaver, really?
Shame on you for mentioning that practice on this family channel.
Dog liver (well, Husky) is high in Vitamin A, as the Mawson Expedition discovered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Mawson

When your standing in a shop waiting to be served and thinking to yourself why doesn't somebody answer that bloody phone!
Then when I leave the shop and check my mobile and see 1 missed call...............:umm:
I know you're in Australia, but I'm not sure if you've ever seen the TV show, Marcus Welby, MD. My friend told me James Brolin drove a '71 650 XS1-B on the show. I found the opening credits on Youtube, but it looks like he was driving a Triumph. To confound the issue, I was filpping channels, last night and the Amityville Horror movie from 1975 was on, starring Jim Brolin and Margot Kidder. And on that movie, Jim was driving a 1975 650 Special.

Must have been an XS650 Standard as the first Specials didn’t appeartil 1979 IIRC.
My mistake, Pete. The movie description on TV gave the movie year as 1975. I just looked up the movie after your post and it was 1979. The bike was black with gold lettering on the tank. Thanks for clarifying that.

Back