How do you know when you've become an Old Fart?

When I was a kid thongs were something we wore on our feet. They were what is now called flip flops. Not sure if they were called thongs everywhere but it's what I remember them being called. I bought a pair in Jamaica a year ago. Took me the full 2 weeks I was there to get my feet broke in for them. Damn do they do they rub the skin between the big toe and next one.

yep called thongs here in aust .. flip flops in nz , memory plays strange tricks over the yrs ,as a kid wore them all the time with no memory of having a break in period , few yrs ago bought a pair that last only a couple of days then into the bin , bloody painful

When I was a kid thongs were something we wore on our feet. They were what is now called flip flops. Not sure if they were called thongs everywhere but it's what I remember them being called. I bought a pair in Jamaica a year ago. Took me the full 2 weeks I was there to get my feet broke in for them. Damn do they do they rub the skin between the big toe and next one.
I can't wear those, either and I read they give you "hammer toes", which means the ball, or end of each toe begin to strike the ground like a hammer as the joints in the toes begin to arch up and the toes begin to curl down. They attributed that to constantly clenching your toes to keep those sandals on. I remember I had heavy leather straps and buckles on my favorite sandals and and the soles were made of used car tires. They never wore out, but eventually got raunchy...:eek:

Thongs/Flip Flops are so cool to wear. I have worn them all my life and just 2 weeks ago bought another two pairs. In fact I am sitting in front of the computer this very minute wearing a pair (on my feet). In New Zealand they were called Jandals after the original brand name Jandal - a contraction of "Japanese Sandal". I have not been back in twenty years so perhaps flip flops as a name is catching on. Also, swimming shorts were called togs and small furry creatures were called small furry creatures.

Last edited:
I guess you learn something new each day. Are wolverines ok to eat? What about foxes and wolves? I read today that a 200 Million Year Old elephant sized fossil of a mammal has been discovered. Apparently this is an issue for the current evolution stance regarding the rise of the mammal.

Thongs/Flip Flops are so cool to wear. I have worn them all my life and just 2 weeks ago bought another two pairs. In fact I am sitting in front of the computer this very minute wearing a pair (on my feet). In New Zealand they were called Jandals after the original brand name Jandal - a contraction of "Japanese Sandal". I have not been back in twenty years so perhaps flip flops as a name is catching on. Also, swimming shorts were called togs and small furry creatures were called small furry creatures.
I'm going to guess "flip flops" were immortalized by Jimmy Buffet. I never heard of "Jandels", before.

I guess you learn something new each day. Are wolverines ok to eat? What about foxes and wolves? I read today that a 200 Million Year Old elephant sized fossil of a mammal has been discovered. Apparently this is an issue for the current evolution stance regarding the rise of the mammal.

Hi Paul,
my question was triggered by your spelling (fury vs furry)
As to my list of small furious creatures, I omitted the Tasmanian Devil because his rep stems from kid's cartoon shows and may not be all that accurate.
As to the palatability of foxes and wolves, they are sorta like dogs and the Chinese have several excellent recipes for cooking those.
However, the wolverine is the biggest of the mustelids. Got a recipe for skunk?
That ancient fossil? Occam sez it's more likely that someone added an extra zero or two.

Fred, you may have noticed I changed the spelling after reading your comment. But I do wonder if people eat wolves after seeing them eat bears on an Alaska program the other night. They also seem to eat a lot of beaver ......

Hi Paul,
my question was triggered by your spelling (fury vs furry)
As to my list of small furious creatures, I omitted the Tasmanian Devil because his rep stems from kid's cartoon shows and may not be all that accurate.
As to the palatability of foxes and wolves, they are sorta like dogs and the Chinese have several excellent recipes for cooking those.
However, the wolverine is the biggest of the mustelids. Got a recipe for skunk?
That ancient fossil? Occam sez it's more likely that someone added an extra zero or two.

As comical as it is, the familiar Looney Tunes portrayal of a Tasmanian devil as a seething, snarling, insatiable lunatic is, at times, not all that far from the truth.

Temperament

Tasmanian devils have a notoriously cantankerous disposition and will fly into a maniacal rage when threatened by a predator, fighting for a mate, or defending a meal. Early European settlers dubbed it a “devil” after witnessing such displays, which include teeth-baring, lunging, and an array of spine-chilling guttural growls.

Fred, you may have noticed I changed the spelling after reading your comment. But I do wonder if people eat wolves after seeing them eat bears on an Alaska program the other night. They also seem to eat a lot of beaver ......

Hi Paul,
no, didn't notice that, you ol' spoilsport you.
I once read that Polar Bear liver was rich enough with Vitamin A that it'd kill you but the rest of it was OK.
I'd suppose that wolf would eat OK if you avoided the organ meats but as for eating beaver, really?
Shame on you for mentioning that practice on this family channel.

You know you’re probably an old fart if.......

You can remember 5 and dime stores that actually sold stuff for nickels and dimes.
0EF06966-B8F6-4F06-BF1C-7DA202275BFF.jpeg
9D523E18-0B0C-4BF3-AF6E-39A715692D39.jpeg

If you’ve ever had lunch at a counter inside a 5 and dime or a drugstore.
EA30894F-7105-4D3C-A5A5-255498E79FAC.jpeg

FFB95254-8F5C-49A4-A98C-302EFDE82805.jpeg

If you’ve ever had a gas station attendant fuel your car.
1F2A93FE-1279-4475-9EA1-96297F4546CF.jpeg

If you’ve ever had your shoes repaired instead of just throwing them away.
AA1BCEBE-4641-41CA-BCBE-B902E81E2DC0.jpeg

If you’ve ever enjoyed a meal that was served on a tray and hung on your cars window.
FFE83C9F-3BF3-495F-8CB7-FB75FC6706A5.jpeg

If you remember when flight attendants were called stewardess’s and wore uniforms like this.
E845AE46-F89E-4AD8-8D05-CC9FAFEDC2CD.jpeg

And this will for sure land you in the old fart catagory. Have you ever put the moves on your date at the drive in movie?
2798767F-4CFC-4C78-9E62-4D0DCBEB374E.jpeg

If you can say yes to two or three of these things. Sorry buddy, I think you may have gotten old.
Btw, I can say yes to all but the shoe repair. I was a sneakers guy.

Attachments

• 8556911A-FBAB-4CC2-A801-4A474B8ECF8A.jpeg
    8556911A-FBAB-4CC2-A801-4A474B8ECF8A.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 159
Paul, your post bought back memories, Jandels and togs. I don't know what they are called now, but my brother still calls them jandels. I have a pair that I wear in the summer months, getting pretty thin in the heel, so replacements are due. Going down that way in February so will have to get another pair or two.

Back