How do you open a neutral sensor?

Smeggy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Any of you fine people know the least destructive way of opening a faulty neutral sensor? Would appreciate suggestions for going in from the top - I imagine if I lever off/destroy the lower black plastic retainer then, even if I rebuild it successfully, I'll be worrying the thing fails and bits fall in the engine.

Attachments

• 20180718_200500_HDR.jpg
    20180718_200500_HDR.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 109
Y r u doing this? Just grab one off ebay. It's just a post on a spring. Destroy if you like, but its usually the adjacent wiring that is the fault. Unless the one u have is obviously damaged. My 71 neutral light doesn't work all the time either. But that's ok. Its 47 years old.

First place I looked, angus67, but currently around £20 second hand. It's out the bike and failing continuity test. Even if I wasn't on a budget I couldn't let myself be held to ransom like that over a simple switch. I'm going to have to take it apart. I'm going in from the top - looks like that's how it was put together. If I break it I'll find a way to patch it up ~ fix it or fail I've got £20 for drink :)

Sorry everyone, apologies. I might be wasting people's time but I need more advice with this. I assumed this was a switch. I thought the circuit went from the screw - via an actuator operated by the brass centre - to the steel body and on to engine earth. I was getting no continuity between the screw and the body whether in or out, so thought it was gubbed. I had another check with the meter and I get full continuity between the screw connection and the brass contact whether it's in or out - so it's just a springy shaft. This would mean the circuit is completed when the bump on the gear selecting shaft is in electrical contact with the brass end. And that means the electricity has to get through a certain film of oil there and then again through the gear selector bearings. Is this correct? Surely a sealed unit would be better?

Last edited:
Thank you, 2M. I searched the site but managed to totally miss that page. It's weird to read it and see my whole recent thought process already laid out for me. So I've reinstalled it and tested it in position - my continuity meter is very happy. Thanks again.

Back