How to Install Dual Output Ignition Coil for 277* Rephase?

abyssmaltailgate

Greenhorn Mechanic
Reaction score
I guess my first questions is, can you run a single, meaning one individual unit, dual-output ignition coil with PAMCO ignition and a 277* rephase???

I bought a PAMCO kit from Mike's XS, and it came with two, single output/outlet ignition coils, one for each cylinder. Unfortunately, they're big, clunky, and green. My solution to eliminating this problem, as well as cleaning up some more of the electrical on the bike, is to hide them in an electronics box that I'm fabricating to look like a horseshoe-style oil tank; however, I have limited space, and these two coils will take up nearly the entire box. My initial thought is that the kit came with two individual single-output coils for a reason, but if I get a high-output, dual-outlet coil with one outlet for each cylinder, will this work and fire correctly for a 277* phase?

If so, is there any special way I need to wire or time the ignition different from a setup with two single-outlet coils??? I'm seeing all sorts of info in this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/pamco-electronic-ignition-vs-high-output.749/

but I haven't yet discovered a direct answer to my questions...

Also, if anybody is already running this setup, I'm looking for recommendations on high-output, dual-outlet coils. Thanks!

The regular dual out put coils as used with a regular Pamco, or the stock TCI coil, I don't think you can get them to work.
Harley's used dual output coils. They used two types, a dual fire and a single fire. The dual fire functions the same as our dual output coils. One input gives you two outputs. The single fire coils have two inputs with two outputs in the same case size as the dual fire coils. Externally the only difference is the dual fire has just two input connections, one hot one ground. Basically two coils in one case.
The single fire uses one hot, two grounds. With this coil you hook hot to the center tap, he out side taps to each Pamco half. Which side fires which I'm not sure. Also I'm not sure what ohm inputs they are available in.
Now on mounting the coils inside a box is not a good thing, coils get hot, they need plenty of fresh cool air.
Leo

Hi 'tailgate,
a two plug wire coil fires both plugs every time it gets a signal from the ignition system.
This don't bother a 360º twin but on a 277º twin the extra spark might happen when there's an ignitable mixture in there and it's firing would be inappropriate.
So yeah, 277º means two separate coils.
Live with it.

Hi 'tailgate,
a two plug wire coil fires both plugs every time it gets a signal from the ignition system.
This don't bother a 360º twin but on a 277º twin the extra spark might happen when there's an ignitable mixture in there and it's firing would be inappropriate.
So yeah, 277º means two separate coils.
Live with it.

That's what I was thinking... I knew the kit came with two individual coils for a reason. Thanks! But I still wonder how Harley does it because their V-twins obvious don't fire both cylinders at the same time...?

Now on mounting the coils inside a box is not a good thing, coils get hot, they need plenty of fresh cool air.

I realized this shortly after posting this thread... not sure why I, or my moto "expert" buddies, didn't consider this before. I'll have to find another way around this, but looks like I may succumb to the mini coils in that thread Satch posted, thanks!

I've pulled the starter motor in favor of converting the bike to kick-only, so I made an aluminum backing plate, and plan on using the four, tapped starter motor mounting holes to affix an indiscrete regulator/rectifier mount. My thoughts right now are that since I kept the stock motor mounts, I may find a way to mount them to the medial sides since there's so much metal to work with, plus this way I can keep the wiring slim and along the frame.

One more thing, regardless of what brand of ignition I ultimately utilize, the coils need to be single output / single fire, correct?

Back