How To: Make fork gaiters using parts found at the auto parts store

Hey 5Twins, don't give up hope. You have so many posts, it'll take months to get thru them all. I'm catching up, I like your 'gaiter' setup, and plan to give it a try on the `71. Truck stuff is easier to get out here than bike stuff, so we'll see. Thanx...

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee these will fit your older 34mm forks, especially your XS1 variety. They may work on the '72 and newer 34s with the alloy lowers. I've only used them on the later 35mm forks.

Ok, I see the clamp now. The shiny clamp makes it look like it was cut between bellows and slipped on.

Procomp and Ranchero are both split at the bottom now. Also, I think they might be wider overall than before.

People are fitting them on this way now - just cutting off the bottom between bellows and clamping the rest on:

Attachments

• 61heeogujWL.jpg
    61heeogujWL.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 536
They must have changed the design. None of the ones I've used were split at the bottom and I shortened them at the top. They do need shortening or they look funny, all scrunched up. In fact, the ones in your pic could use a few more bellows cut off. They have that scrunched up appearance and it will only get worse when the forks compress. Honestly, I don't understand some of these people. They go through all the trouble of dismantling their forks to install these things and then don't bother cutting them to the proper length before putting them on. It's a simple matter to hold the boot up next to your forks before taking them apart and determine just how long they need to be. I don't know, maybe some are concerned with losing that top fitment ring. It is a perfect slip fit on the 35mm tubes and doesn't even require a clamp to hold it in place. Well, there's a work-around for that .....

Cut that top ring and one bellow off the top of the boot .....

50RNnzg.jpg

Now cut however many bellows off the rest of the boot to get the proper overall length. Then simply insert that top ring and one bellow into the top bellow of your boot .....

RaP7Acv.jpg

Friction holds it all together so no glue or clamps of any type are required. This works best if you get the boots that taper slightly from top to bottom, the top bellows being a slightly smaller diameter. Then they fit perfectly inside the larger lower one you're inserting into.

Last edited:
With the Rancho boots, you don't need to cut the top off, the top works just fine as is, only the bottom needs to be cut to size. I have probably used a dozen pairs of the Ranchos. However, they don't have the ventilation holes that you can see near the top of 5twin's second picture, so you have to make your own -- that hole has to be there...

^Fiver cuts the top off when he's shortening the boot then when he puts the top back on top and bottom both fit and it's the right length too.

Problem is now the shocks are split at the bottom collar so the bottom doesn't fit. Might as well leave the top as is and cut the bottom off since it doesn't fit anymore anyway.

Last edited:
Hope this helps:

one.jpg

Three bellows and the weird split skirt cut off of the bottom. Top is unchanged.

two.jpg

The bottom fits into the groove in the fork tube that held the original dust boot, and the bottom bellows is then folded down to hide the groove and give a nice finished appearance.

three.jpg

These very dusty forks were lowered 1-3/4", and I cut 7 bellows off. I might of cut one bellows too many off, but they work.

rs1952.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0960_-1_-1&pt=N0960&ppt=C0035

front 001.jpg
fold top sleeve under, zip tie the first groove.

77 on it's way back from barn find.

The Daystars are currently sold all over as a motorcycle fork boot. They come in about three different lengths. They are two or three times the cost of a "truck shock boot".

Thanks DB and Gggg. I already have the Procomps so I will give the new bottom treatment a try.

BTW, this isn't for looks. My forks pumped out what seemed like a tablespoon each of sand when I started riding again after the snow melted. I went to a local garage in Montana in a sort of a panic thinking I needed a rebuild then and there, but he assured me it wasn't an immediate safety issue, since all the oil wasn't going to pump out. I tied a rag around the right fork to try to keep oil off the disk.

They must have changed the design. None of the ones I've used were split at the bottom

Judging from Amazon reviews they were changed about a year ago. Around that time period ppl are lamenting the split bottom collar change. The Procomps I have look identical to DB's Ranchos. Probably all come from the same supplier in China.

Yes, Daystar does make motorcycle specific fork boots and they do cost more. However, their truck shock boots are priced pretty much the same as all the other truck shock boots. If you follow the O'Reilly's link in Dog Bunny's post, you'll find the Ranchos go for about $5 each. I just ordered some Daystar truck shock boots from JC Whitney, $9.61 a pair (and free shipping because of the holiday). I hope they're not split at the bottoms now but I'll let you know when I get them.

Those are Pro Comps and may be split at the bottom. That's OK, just shorten the bottom, not the top, and install as DogBunny did.

I figure they may be. At that price I can afford to be disappointed a few times over. The trouble I was having was with jcwitneys website. Searching their inventory was a total bear. After finding what I wanted and purchasing it took me another 15 minutes to locate the item again to link it here. I even used the product number on my e receipt and got a return that no such product exists!:confused::confused:

Posted via Mobile

i had some vw rabbit non power steering rack boots, fitted them to my 3 inch drop.
07F-73BF5CDAE461-8829-00000A168C665F1E_zps0f077229.jpg
The fit is very snug, the rib fits in the fork and a ziptie can hold the top still.
part number 191419831MY

My procomp boots are split, but ill "dogbunny" them for fitment. I'm impressed with the material quality compared to the repop ones for the British bike community. And of course the price is about a third.

Back