I went down for the first time this weekend

About 11 years ago I plowed the front at around 4-6 mph on a wet trolley track in big D (McKinney Avenue, for those that know uptown) and high sided, yes, at that speed, and busted my right collarbone. Nobody got out ofa car, rolled down a window to ask if I was OK, offered to help me get out of the intersection, nothing. I picked it up with my left arm, a REAL bitch with a broke off brake lever) and pushed it out of the road. 6:15AM, nothing open close by, I got pissed and rode 5 miles to work with a broke helmet, broke collarbone, broke brake lever (looked like one of them 2 finger motorcross jobbies) and a broken off brake pedal. Maybe not the brightest thing with my strongest sensation being a firey half numb sensation from shoulder to fingertips. The next morning, I couldn't believe I did it. Also found out that the ceramic like scraping noise of bone on bone is called cretasis or something like that.

I'm a bit late to the conversation but you just swapped sides.
I always heard there were two kinds of riders, those who haven't gone down and those that haven't gone down...yet.
I have gone down several times. Some times my fault, sometimes not.
I ride with most of the gear most of the time. On a short test run I may skip the chaps but still wear the leather jacket and helmet, the helmet because it's the law. If it wasn't I would own a helmet.
Any way I lost a lot of skin in one incident. I found protective gear may not be comfortable, but not as uncomfortable as growing new skin.
Leo

It is good to hear that a fellow rider survived after being dumped.
Monday it will be a year since I broke my sholder going down on the pavement.
My helmet was scratched 3/4 the way around.
Wear the gear so you will be here.
RideOn Brother! :bike:

I have a choice in Texas and I have 3 helmets. I've broken 2 in crashes. When I was a kid blowing around the pastures and hills I NEVER wore a helmet, but when I decided to get a bike many years back, I bought a helmet before I bought a bike and never considered riding without one. I know these fence sitters that say they will wear one on the highway but don't wear it around town. I always tell them if you fall over, it's just as far to the ground on a back road as it is on the highway, and I've broken the FACE of both the helmets I've trashed, and seen far too many "burger face" interviews and pics to run anything without a chin bar.

:twocents:well for years of the opinion good rider who needs safety gear...f..king wimps...im a good rider then spent 12 months in a rehab hospital after wrecking a 4x4 hilux(you know the ones advertised as un brakible--ha,ha)..and meet a lot of other bike riders in there....changed my tune real quick. now when I see shorts,tee shirts and thongs (flip flops).I shutter

well for years of the opinion good rider who needs safety gear...f..king wimps...im a good rider then spent 12 months in a rehab hospital after wrecking a 4x4 hilux(you know the ones advertised as un brakible--ha,ha)..and meet a lot of other bike riders in there....changed my tune real quick. now when I see shorts,tee shirts and thongs (flip flops).I shutter

it wasn't REALLY the Harley's fault, just a little biased I supposed. Im used to the way my smaller engine bikes handle, and I know I would have had control had I been on one of them, but hey! hindsight is 20/20!

I just thought I would share my experience, because I am fortunately still here to tell it.

I went to Tucson to visit my folks who live out there, and they run a riding group for smaller engine bikes

I ended up not being able to take my XS so I figured I would rent a Harley... you know where this is going by now, don't you?

I rented an 883 which was converted to 1200cc, and we went riding in the Tucson mountains west of the city near Kitt Peak (gorgeous ride). On a straight shot I hit a patch of sand and lost traction on the Harley's rear tire. I am extremely safe when it comes to riding, and I literally just rode over this sand patch. The bike immediately wobbled and the front wheel went straight off the road which had no shoulder and got caught in the sand. The rear wheel still having momentum came around, and it slung me off of the bike. I was launched at least 20 feet and landed on my neck and shoulders. Thank the universe I was geared up (I had thought about doing otherwise because of the heat, but my mom bitched me out). I was knocked unconscious and was out for about a minute before I came to and in my state of shock I walked over to the Harley, picked it up, gathered the broken bits, and got it to start. I rode it home with my injuries. I am incredibly fortunate to have been out with my folks, and that I was geared up.

I am busted up, bruised, and sore but I am alive and thankful. So thankful in fact that I limped around my XS today and gave her a tune up for being such an awesome bike that has never ever let me down.

My best lesson ever is that bigger is not always better, and the gear I was wearing (street and steel mesh, biltwell helmet) saved my life. I just had to rip the cactus off of my stomach.

I am glad to be writing this message to all you 650 riders, and I wish you safe travels. Keep your heads up because it can happen in a split second like it did with me.

Stay Up Dudes!

p.s. No more Harley for me, aside from crashing it, it handled like garbage. No offense to any Harley fans, but it definitely is not what I look for in a motorcycle.
........................ hi i found ,,its always better to go down without your friends watching you do it,,,, because then you will not hear the end of it ,,,, ,,its happened to me twice ,,when i first got my xs650,, ,,,, noww i realize its not a ducati ,,, regards oldbiker

Back