I would LOVE your build input!! (Cafe Style)? any at all!

I agree with some of the above posters. A new seat, and lower handlebars will make a world of difference on that Special. Or sell it to someone who wants a stocker and find a better(or worse) XS to chop.

do you have a blog somewhere? Im in to bone carvings. btw, Im a welder/fabricator by trade, and I hate my job too.
doesn't matter what you do, its howyou do it. Once I put down my weld hood, the world out there disappears. Then my boss hollers at me, making me stop, then the world crashes down on me. such a killjoy.

do you have a blog somewhere? Im in to bone carvings. btw, Im a welder/fabricator by trade, and I hate my job too.
doesn't matter what you do, its howyou do it. Once I put down my weld hood, the world out there disappears. Then my boss hollers at me, making me stop, then the world crashes down on me. such a killjoy.

LOL ... I was just thinking that I would love to be a welder!!:doh:

yeah a cafe is not going to be a comfortable cruiser for sure but if its not going to be your main ride then why not go for it. It will be a rewarding challenge

You don't necessarily need to chop the bike up to achieve a cafe look but I get the impression you are looking for a full on redesign project.

Do you see a retro 50-60's cafe with spoked wheels polished ali tank hub brakes etc like this or a modern 'take' on a cafe racer ? What bikes have inspired you ?
http://www.caferacertv.com/bike-of-the-week/

Attachments

• vintage-cafe-racer.jpg
    vintage-cafe-racer.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 164
The picture you posted is absolutely stunning!!

I envisioned a hybrid color scheme with polished tank and a little color. I DO have a pristine 750 tank for it!

I also prefer spokes but the one I got has mags ... how's the song go?

"you dance with the one that brung you"

I'm sure this one will end up in the classified section and I'll look for a "crippled" bike.

Think I just heard a big collective sigh of relief (me included) and several people are likely checking their XS650 piggy bank fund.
Yamimoto

a powder coated coloured frame and themed accessories would look sublime.
heres a few cafes that have caught my eye

Attachments

• Wrenchmonkees_Monkeefist_Yamaha_XJR1300_Moto-Mucci.jpg
    Wrenchmonkees_Monkeefist_Yamaha_XJR1300_Moto-Mucci.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 153
  • yam2.jpg
    yam2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 156
  • yam1.jpg
    yam1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 146
  • cafe racer.jpg
    cafe racer.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 146
Yamimoto, those hand grips on your parts bike are the Sunline Grand Touring grips. They are no longer available and are one of the finest grips on the planet in my opinion. Try to save them if you can.

racerdave, that would make it 2 old farts.

peanut, love those cafes too.

5twins, interesting that you say that. I thought they seem like really nice grips and was planning on trying to find out (thank you) what they are to see if I could get some. I have tried briefly to remove them, so far without success. Was thinking on heating them up a little but have concerns about the throttle side and plastic etc. i'd like to save the throttle mechanism. As you can see I kept them. Any suggestions?

Yamimoto

Edit note: I should have mentioned you can just read part of the touring name on the grip. Good eyes 5twins.

Attachments

• Hand grip 001.jpg
    Hand grip 001.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 139
Push a small screwdriver or awl down between the grip and bar or throttle tube, just part way is good, you don't need to push it in to the bottom. Squirt it full of WD40 and twist the grip back and forth. It will penetrate down into it eventually and the grip will slide right off. The key is stretching the grip away from the bar slightly so the penetrant can get down in there.

Okay, I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

There were about eleventeen bajillion specials made, and they are, IMHO, the ugliest of all the stock XS's. At the very least, I would get rid of those gawdawful bars and that fugly and uncomfortable stepped seat.

Being a common bike, I wold have no trouble at all making a cafe or a street-tracker out of it.

I draw the line at reverting to 100 year old technology, aka a hard tail. I will never, as long as I live, understand that.

Likewise not a huge fan of bobbers.

JMHO, YMMV, and buy yer own damn batteries...:bike:

well said downeaster... couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

Back