I would LOVE your build input!! (Cafe Style)? any at all!

That '80 Special is such a clean/pristine example, it would be a shame to cut it up. But if you sell it, what are the chances that it'll get cut-up later, by less artistic hands? Or wrecked, or abused?

I'm with Airwolfie, ditch the seat and bars for something more suitable.

Many of us have done more than one facelift to our bikes, trying out different things, seeing what works and what we like. I started with Stock on my other XS, did a few performance mods, then went Cafe for awhile, more performance mods (actually experiments), then rake/hardtail/overbore plus more performance mods (again, experiments), reworked the engine about 6 times (more experiments, again), ...etc. If you're like some of us, don't expect to ever be finished with it, the disease runs deep. I was fortunate in that hacking a '71 back then wasn't considered sacrilegious. The '74s were running around, '75s selling well, newer '76s much anticipated. These newer '447 models were considered by many to be quite superior to my obsolete/substandard '71, and hacking mine was considered 'good riddance'.

I'd recommend any and/or all of these changeouts, in keeping with the option to return-to-original.
Not only practical (for now), but fun! You'll learn alot about the bike, and get interesting ideas (that have yet to congeal) along the way.

If it were me, and I got a Special at your price (and I have no idea what that is, but appears to be a great one) and in that condition, I'd try and sell it for some profit. Put out some feelers to see what you could get and also keep looking around for another that may be less road worthy. It would be a shame to off load that and not have another lined up. If it doesn't pan out after however long you wish to wait, chop it.

Ultimately, it's your ride and your money. If you feel comfortable chopping up that bike, go for it. You don't like the styling anyway. :shrug:

I think I got a really good deal on it... granted $100 in gas money, a rented trailer and a days worth of food for two people would have to be made up as well.

I think I'll get to the classifieds and see if someone wants it for what it is.

Then I wouldn't need the 750 tank either!

Thanks guys.... I'll go find a "basket case" to tinker with :)

I think I got a really good deal on it... granted $100 in gas money, a rented trailer and a days worth of food for two people would have to be made up as well.

I think I'll get to the classifieds and see if someone wants it for what it is.

Then I wouldn't need the 750 tank either!

Thanks guys.... I'll go find a "basket case" to tinker with :)

Keep the 750 tank, you might still want to cafe it and then you will regret it. They are quite sought after, so you will have no problem getting rid of it!:thumbsup:

Those grips are nice like 5twins said. Have some on my bike on eurosport bars another twins recommendation. The red bike has been wasted most of its life looked at and admired most of its life and not ridden. When I bought my 1200 original mile garage Queen Black not red the bike took on a new life. A better life the open road. Some changes along the way gives the bike character. 20,000 miles later and a new set of pipes still looking good. Bikes should fit the owners taste and old farts be damn. Real old bikers ride 69 good enough. Just do it or not. :thumbsup:

Well, so far Dave, no one is beating down my door for the bike.

On a side note... the tank has TWO petcocks and the 650 tank has one ... is that as simple as it seams..... just use one of them?

Well, so far Dave, no one is beating down my door for the bike.

On a side note... the tank has TWO petcocks and the 650 tank has one ... is that as simple as it seams..... just use one of them?

Use both. Run them to a t, then the carbs. The tunnel probably goes back far enough that the tank doesn't drain both sides from the opposite side petcock

racerdave is not the only one who knows what you paid or wants that tank!
Here we go again, more blackmail!
Yamimoto

Thanks guys, I'm not looking to "profit" from the sale, just break even.

I have already had lots of offers on the "bay", just a little too low.

I'd need to get at least $1,575 to recoup what it took me to get it. (cash, gas, trailer etc)

the bay add says sold. who baught it? 1500+
As far as "who knows what the next guy will do with it" at least we slowed the hack-attack thru one owner. getting a basket case is right up your ally. You will have a blank canvas. and with 1k in your pocket, who knows what it will look like. Seen some works come out of Holland look like art.
google image xs650.

sold it to a dude in Australia that is a broker.... he's going to do a frame off restore.

After fees I literately made about $50

Sucks cuz right after I sold it a local CL guy offered full price.

Oh well, better than losing money!

Now on to find a "fixer-upper" ! :bike:

Back