Depending on the chart the 76-77 is the build year. The build year is August to July. Bikes built from July 76 to August 77 were 77's. July 77 to August 78 were 79's and so on.
Your 447-724328 is a 77 XS650D US model. Sometimes dealers sell a left over bike and title it the following year. This may have happened on your bike. As long as the VIN matches the title, I wouldn't worry tomuch about that.
From 70 to 76 they used the 34 mm forks. The first years of the disc brake had the calipers on the front of the fork tubes. In 76 they moved the calipers to the rear.
The caliper can be, with a minor change be used on either side. These were the two piston calipers.
The rotor can be mounted on either side of the hub, except for the very first year of the disc brake.
In 77 they went to the 35 mm forks with the single piston calipers. They changed the rotor offset to match the new caliper.
Leo

Thanks for that Leo. You say that in 77 they went to 35 mm forks with single piston calipers. This bike has single piston caliper but the 34 mm forks. Who knows what we had dumped on us in New Zealand.
Rob

If they are 34 mm forks the mounting holes for the caliper are about 84mm center to center. The 35 mm forks have a caliper mounting holes of about 112 mm ctc. So if you have 34 mm forks it has to have the two piston caliper. Unless some one built an adapter to fit the other caliper to your forks.
Here are a coulple pics to show the early and late calipers. First pic is the early, second is the later.
Leo

Attachments

• 08-6008.jpg
    08-6008.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 08-5001.jpg
    08-5001.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 220
Man, read the whole thread and I'm still confused. Actually was looking for other info but got seriously sidetracked. My vin starts out 3u6-001 (1980 SG model correct?) But looking on mikes xs the 1980 SG is 3u62F0-200101. Is the 2F0-2 what I would see on he Canada model?

Hugodoppler, your 2F0-111174 is a 78 XS650 SE, A Special.
Big, your 3U6-101xxx is an 80 SG, Oceania
The 3U6 Designates the Oceania models, the 2F0 designates a US model.
I think Canada got the Oceania models.
If you have a bike with both the 3U6 and 2F0 prefixes then I don't know what you have.
I think Mike's list put them together because they are both the same years. Maybe a few minor differences.
I would call your Bike an 80 Xs650 SG. I don't know what the letters and numbers after that mean, the 3G1. It may be a designation the company used to tell where the bike was sent originaly??
Leo

Most engine parts from 74 up can interchange. Some things did change from year to year, like carbs every two years, cam chain adjusters almost as often, A few things like that. They can be swapped as a complete assemblies.
On the rest of the bike most parts can swap year to year. They made just appearance changes.
Some parts like seats, sidecovers, can only swap from special to specials, standards to standars. Wheels pretty much all years can swap all years.
There are a few exceptions to these things but this should give you an idea.
On the Austrailian site they have a history of the XS covering most of the changes over the years.
Leo

Ok newbie here looking for some help from the guru's. Looking to buy a 5V4-001115 and I see that is probably a SJ Heritage. What were the standard features on this bike and how can you run the VIN to see if it has ever been stolen. It does not have title but if it has not been stolen and bit sitting for years looks like I can get title in CA. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Street Tracker, Type in Registration, DMV into the forum search function, top right corner of the page. Go to first new post 'Barn find registration in California'

Street Tracker, Type in Registration, DMV into the forum search function, top right corner of the page. Go to first new post 'Barn find registration in California'
650 Skull,
Thank you for the help I did find that thread and it was very helpful. Now all I need to find is somewhere to run this VIN 5V4-001115 to se if it has ever been stolen before I buy it.

Leo,
Thats what I did today and I called DMV head quarters and all is looking good. Not stolen ether not ever registered in CA or it has been over four years and fallen out of the system from what DMV told me. May have my xs 650 next week stay tuned and thank you Sir!

Just found some conflicting information between websites and all this information out there. Can anyone positively ID a VIN NUmber 5V4-001115 as an 81 or a 82 and what? On the sheet in this thread it says it is an 80-81 XJS. BUT on this site http://www.biker.net/81_650sh_parts/650sh parts main.html its says it is a 82?????
On Omar's site it seem like I do not want a 82 for my street tracker build. Lil confused here any quick help would be greatly appreciated as I have a bike on the line at this point.

HERE 5V4 000101 82J and the 5V4 100101 83K and HERE they are the same. 5V4 82J/83K are US double spoke wheels models, 5V5 82SJ/83SK are Canadian with drum brake mags.

Click on Modellubersicht HERE , , they have the 5V4 82J/83K starting with the same model no, defiantly 5V4 are 82/83 US

All specials have the same frames, 78SE/79SF/80SG have disc rear brake Mag wheels,
79Special II/80G/81H have 19"/16" 36spoke wheels,
81SH Has 19"/16' Mags with a drum rear wheel.
82J/83K have the 19"/16" 48/64 spoke wheels. so i don't know why omars would say the 82 is not good for a tracker

Last edited:
Skull,
Thanks again I just called Yamaha also and found the information you have is in fact correct thank you. The information chart in this thread should be corrected I know it is an old thread so it is what it is.I really appreciate all of you folks jumping in and helping me.

Also I have a call into Omar's he should be back in today so I am really hoping to talk to him. Here is what is quoted from his website "When selecting a 650 for conversion, concentrate on Yamaha Standard models (wire wheels) and Special models (cast wheels) made from 1974 to 1980. These models have second generation frames and are the best for building ease, economy and aesthetics. Pre '74 models and post '81s can be converted with extra work and more money." So it sounds like it can be done on these bikes I just don't have all the facts yet, but I hope to get all of those today from Omar's.
Not going to go look at the bike until Sunday anyhow.

He would quote those model specials with the mags because he sells a front mag to rear conversion set, and doesn't make his tracker parts to fit on the 70-73 frames. 74-79 Standard frames and the Special frames have the same dimensions except the mounting point for the shocks is more forward on the Specials

Attachments

• framexs-2.jpg
    framexs-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 289
  • framestandard.jpg
    framestandard.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 309
  • framespecial.jpg
    framespecial.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 304
Hello guys
looked at the attachment and yes, it's very complete and from my vin # i know it's a 1979 XS-SF.
What the difference between that and the XS-SE??? Mine has cast wheel with disc brake front and rear. I like the way spokes look better but i think cast spoke are better since I can go tubeless. Also what does the code 2M1 refer to???
Thanks for you replies.

Trying to get the registration knocked out on my 82. Bought it last year in the spring, lost the title before ever registering. Hoping I can still get in touch with PO. Anyway, just wanted to check and see if I am correctly looking at the VIN. Sticker is jacked up, but it looks like a longer VIN# than the one stamped. Any thoughts?

7396801442_a568ac19aa.jpg

Vin by Ackaroth, on Flickr

7396804180_709f644e5f.jpg

Vin by Ackaroth, on Flickr

Back