If I ever find a hub for a 19"....

All years used a 19 front wheel. The first two years had drum brakes, the 72 had a one year only disc brake set up. From 73 up they front brakes used the same bolt pattern where the rotor bolts on. they used 36 spokes.
They used mag wheels for a few years. The spokes after the mags had 48 spokerears and 64 spoke fronts.
On the rears all the years up to the Sopecial II's used an 18 inch drum brake 36 spoke wheel. The Special II's used a 16 spoke wheel. The mags were all 16 inch, disc brake wheels except the one year only 81 that had the drum mag.
The later 64 spoke rears used a drum brake.
If you are looking for a set of spoke wheels in the 19 front and 18 rear any of the 73 up wheels will be what you want.
Leo

Is this the hub that I am looking for here?

Again, I have a 19" 36 spoke front wheel, looking to take my disc brake and put it on a hub...easy swap.

You say you have a 19" 36 spoke wheel. A wheel is a complete assembly of a hub spokes and rim.
If this wheel is a 650 wheel a disac brake rotor should bolt right on, unless it's the one year only 72. It doesn't bolt on.
Now if what you are calling a wheel is just the rim then you need a hub and spokes to go with it to make a wheel.
That part you linked is hub and rotor carrier from a 72. That is a one year only deal that has rubber pieces that go between the two parts.
I don't think that set up will work with anything other than a set of 72 forks.
Do you have a pic of what you have?
It might be easier to find a 73 up wheel, like item 25124830177, It comes off a 75. I know it will bolt right into your 81.
I know this because I have a front end off an 82 and I'm using my 75 front wheel in it.
The spacer and speedo drive you have will work with that wheel.
Leo

Sorry and thanks Leo....

I have a Now if what you are calling a wheel is just the rim then you need a hub and spokes to go with it to make a wheel.

I got the 'my version of wheel'...meaning rim and tire...no hub...from another member hoping to find a hub. I have an '81 Special, which from research, I believe to have 35 mm forks. and I have the disc brake/spacer/speedo drive from my '81 special...mag wheel.

I can't find the item # you listed above...is it out on Ebay?

Yes the 81 has the 35 mm forks. The spacing on the 35 mm forks is the same as the 34 mm forks so any wheel from the 74 up will fit in your forks. That hub you linked will lace into your 36 spke rim. The only thing is that it being a one year set up and the way the parts go together it isn't adapatable to later brake rotors or more modern brake rotors.
If you want a hub, get one from the 74 up. The rotors bolt on to the hub the same as your mag wheel. The wheel I mentioned earlier is on Ebay. Sorry about not saying that before. It being a 75 it will work with your forks.
That hub you linked can't be used with your disc brake, no place to bolt your rotor.
Leo

Clockwork....

1) Is this an 'H' style wheel? The rear I have is H style, so I have to match the two (personal opionion)
2) If so, what's cheap and do you have pics? PM me if so...thanks!!!!!!!!

If by "H" style, you mean the flanged alloy type rim, then that would probably be a "no". That rim last came on the '79 Standard. An '80 Special II would have chrome steel rims (if original), and not "Hertage" either. Those were the extra spoke wheels (72 front, 48 rear) and didn't come out until later, '82 I think.

That is the flanged alloy type rim, installed on the '74-'79 Standard models. It's called by various names - shouldered, rain catcher, rain gutter, probably a few more I'm not even aware of. I see that whole wheel got the spray bomb treatment, lol. In my opinion, these rims are just beautiful if you take the time to polish them up.

Ok, that's a wheel. An ugly wheel but a wheel. It's not a 19 front wheel. It's an 18 rear wheel. The early front wheels had drum brakes but don't look like that.
Measuring from the outer edge of the flange across to the other outer flange it does measure 19 inches. But you don't measure wheels like that, you measure from where the tire bead seats across to where the bead seats. Do so and you will find it measures 18 inches.
Leo

Last edited:
Leo, I do this all the time.....

The post I started was because I have a 19" wheel with no hub. The 18" wheel picture that I posted is what I'll be running on the back. I posted the pic of the 18 to show the rim type as a response to clockwork to see if he 19 he had would match.

I still can either find a hub, or I have to buy a complete 19" with mathing wheel type/rim type.

Ok Gotcha. The wheel I spoke of earlier will be a good match for your rear wheel. It has the same style rim.
It might be easier to get a complete wheel than finding just a hub. I'm not sure what the cost difference might be.
Leo

Back