Indexing spark plugs

jay760

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I've just ordered some shims to index my plugs, I thought I would look up the correct place for the plug to end up and ended up with 4 different results
Facing the inlet
Facing the exhaust
Facing across the piston
And facing away from the inlet
They can't all be right, which is it supposed to be?

I suggest to you that its the same type of opinions, that float around the internet, on topics such as what is the best oil and what is the best tire. These topics all have subjective answers. There is no right answer! Even experts will disagree, so that's why you have to read up on it, and make your own decision.

Actually indexing is a thing done by real racers, and has little value if any for street use.
Oh oh, I just gave my opinion which is subjective.:)

Hi jay,
you are kidding, eh?
I can't see that indexing plugs will make a ha'p'orth of difference in how well a bike runs.
Mind you, I do remember seeing plugs that had three peripheral spark gaps instead of a single gap atop the electrode.
Perhaps that was to fix the supposed indexing problem? I reckon only one of those gaps ever worked though.
OTOH, losing that brewer's goitre will improve the bike+rider power to weight ratio AND let you crouch closer to the tank.
Both of those are proven to give a higher top speed.

Shims, wasn't even aware they existed. "Indexing" the rotational position of the spark plugs sound like a very particular detail which may benefit a highly tuned performance engine. I consider my XS twin to be more of a "Rototiller" type power mill ! My opinion is you are over thinking it :umm: RT

I don't use my xs on the road, I only sprint it and being just over 200lb I try and find every thing possible to give me a bit more power with the finances I have.

Yup - this is one of those issues which people swear made a huge difference on "their brother-in-law's" bike....but for some reason, they can never come up with any data to support the claim. It is sort of like using reduced wattage bulbs as a means of reducing alternator load which will leave more power available for the rear wheel. I suppose in principle, there may be an effect, but you'd never be able to measure it because it is so small and any differences are easily cancelled out by other things.

In engineering, for reasons related to the math, we call these sorts of things "higher order effects" because they simply don't make a major difference. For that reason, they are generally ignored.

I have often thought that if I simply lost a few pounds (or perhaps more than a few....) - my bike would be faster.....and I'd be right!

Cheers,

Pete

From what I've read and the way I understand it is you don't want the side or ground strap on the plug masking or blocking the spark, which it just naturally does a little bit. And by blocking the spark, as I understand it that means towards the intake fuel/air charge that comes in the intake valve. So basically, you don't want the side strap facing the intake valve. But that still allows a wide range of positions for the plug because it is open for more than 3/4 of the way around the center electrode. There's just a narrow range where the side strap will do any blocking.

I sort of index mine. I don't use any special washers or anything, just note the open side on the electrode and observe where it ends up once the plug is installed. I do this by marking the side of the plug with a Sharpie in line with the open end of the side strap .....

bBkUvRj.jpg

If it is blocking badly, I tighten or loosen the plug a little, change the crush washer, or try the plug in the other cylinder. With such a wide range of positions that don't block available, I've never encountered a plug I couldn't get a good install on yet.

So does it help or do anything? I can't really say I've noticed any improvement but, hey, it's free and the theory behind it makes sense to me so I do it.

Last edited:
you want the opening of the ground electrode facing the intake valve to help shorten the flame front.
You'd probably get better performance by widening the gap till it misfired then back off some.

Been indexing plugs since the '70s shop daze. The performance tip was just as Jack posted.

However, my indexing priorities were: Clearance, Reliability, then least was Performance. This was more or less just for survival in shop combat.

Clearance:
In those early days, bikes came with standard, non-projecting tips. We didn't fuss with indexing those. Then, projected nose plugs became the rage, and bike manufacturers were slow to okey-dokey those things, many saying "Don't doit".

Enter the owner/enthusiasts. Going by what they've heard in magazines and racing circles. They want these plugs, the plug makers wanted to sell, and we had to figure it out. Various combinations of plugs, engines, pistons, ...etc. The hot-rodded bike you just rolled up onto the lift might be running 'pop-ups' (hi-domed, high compression pistons). Some of those pistons had relief cuts for the plugs, most didn't. The risk was piston contact with the ground electrode, or worse, the projected nose center electrode. Especially with some of those really projected plugs, like the Champion 'N' series. So, the best starting position for the plug was to get clearance, get the ground electrode away from the piston. Essentially putting the plug gap downward. You're not getting paid extra for this, it's expected as part of a normal tune-up.

Reliability:
Now enter the over-enthusiastic enthusiasts (purposely being kind here). They have engines burning a little oil, sometimes fouling plugs. BUT, don't want an overhaul. "Gimme a tune-up and fancy plugs, it'll be fine". With these, have the gap pointed toward the intake valve, so that the incoming air/fuel charge could wash the offending oil off of the plug nose. Plus, it helped cool the plug when these guys would do the "Hey ya'll, watch this" routines on the hot summers.

Given the above, the best position, just to get the bike out the door, was to put the gap somewhere between down (toward the piston), and toward the intake valve. Facing the left cylinder of your XS650, that would have the gap between 3-O'clock and 6-O'clock.

Performance:
The racing circles and mag pubs of the time advocated having the gap pointing toward the intake valve, as Jack stated above. Putting the gap in the 'clearance' and 'reliability' zone was considered "good 'nuff".

I mark my plugs like 5Twins posted above, marking a line on the plug inline with the gap.
PlugIndexing01.jpg

Then get the mark (gap) somewhere in that 3-6 O'clock zone.
PlugIndexing02.jpg

I have a variety of shims to accomplish this, but would rather not use them, or use the thinnest possible. Prefer to choose from a group of plugs, finding the best alignment. In the bike shop environment, having a box of plugs to choose from made this easy. Now, I'll usually buy several plugs just to find that sweet combo.

Performance, part deux:
Now, fast-forward to today, with new-fangled combustion analyzers and see-thru engines. And, discussions on flame kernel shielding, shrouding, quenching. Gets complicated. Some say point the gap up, avoiding shrouding by the piston, and quenching by the piston motion. Well, with a 40° BTDC ignition on our XS650s, the piston is about 10mm away from its full TDC position. Not much shrouding there. The quench (flame blow-out) can also be complicated, since you'd need to know (or control) the swirl pattern and direction.

Also, gotta watch discussions and their relevance to our plug placement and combustion chamber shape. Wedge with side plug, pentroof with top plug, hemi with top or side plug, ...etc.

For short-term track/strip/offroad, I like the touted advantages of the "side-gapping".
PlugSideGapping.gif

http://www.xs650.com/threads/e3-spark-plugs.36815/page-3#post-466440
http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/plugsidegapping.html

Last edited:
Just make sure you have a nice fat blue spark, your carbs tuned up properly to give at least 55 mpg (US) , and indexing will be of no consequence. Just my subjective view point.:)
My question is when talking about indexing plugs does the location of the bike in relation to the equator also have an effect? I know bikes ride on the opposite side of the road down there, figured that was also due to being south of the equator. I know over in England they do to but did you ever try to reason with an Englishman? Hey my mom's parents were straight from Manchester so I know how they "Think"!

Heres my question.
Does anyone have data on this? Meaning, is there solid data showing the differences in performance from spark plug postion?
Just wondering because my bike runs differently when its 40 degrees compared to 80 degrees and then there is high humidity days, low humidty days, ect.
God, last thing I meed is another .000000001 change in performance to deal with, lol.

My question is when talking about indexing plugs does the location of the bike in relation to the equator also have an effect? I know bikes ride on the opposite side of the road down there, figured that was also due to being south of the equator. I know over in England they do to but did you ever try to reason with an Englishman? Hey my mom's parents were straight from Manchester so I know how they "Think"!

Hi Ken,
if we are going to play sillybuggers, the drive on the left thing ain't geographical, it's to do with the people's national inclination.
Most folks are right-handed so in medieval times an Englishman would ride on the left so that his sword arm would face an approaching enemy.
OTOH a Frenchman would ride on the right so he could hide behind his shield.

For those who can't be bothered with all this *gapping* and *indexing*, try this thing:
BriskPlugs02.jpg

Yes, that's the plug number for the XS650

Wierd stuff, huh?
BriskPlugs03.jpg

Back