Indexing spark plugs

Just mulling through this, and this is what I come up with........Once the fuel mixture is ignited, it has been ignited, what difference does it make how much spark there was before the ignition, granted, there has to be enough spark to cause ignition ? I really don't see how more spark can increase that explosion or cause an increase in horsepower as the manufacturer claims. Just my thoughts.

Scott

Just mulling through this, and this is what I come up with........Once the fuel mixture is ignited, it has been ignited, what difference does it make how much spark there was before the ignition, granted, there has to be enough spark to cause ignition ? I really don't see how more spark can increase that explosion or cause an increase in horsepower as the manufacturer claims. Just my thoughts.

Scott
Are you saying that aftermarket sellers tell lies (or alternative facts) ? Shocking !

I think I have seen that a larger gap, stronger spark does improve efficiency or it slightly advances effective ignition timing. My no engineer thinking would be that you light more gas/air mixture at once so get the main fire going quicker. That strong spark also is more foul resistant the quick build time lets it jump the gap while a weaker current may dissipate much or all of it's energy along a wet plug surface to ground, It certainly helps in starting. gggGary who has sweated bullets getting an old points engine fired up then had it instantly be an easy starter with a pamco and high energy coil installed, no other changes..... A timing light sure reveals less misfires on the electronic based spark systems. Proof enough for me. IIRC Mercury Marine spec'd surface fire plugs for it's two stroke outboards for at least a few years.

OK, it doesn't take much improvement in the ignition to have a better starting and consistent running engine. Stronger springs on the points, a coil that costs the manufacturer more than 50 cents, newer plugs wires and caps.

Scott

The two smokers conventional wisdom is that surface plugs work better at high RPM but tend to foul with prolonged idling.
2 Stroke; like an XS650 motor with the original valve seals????????????? prolly having to do with the electrode shielding the spark from the charge; the rational for plug indexing IIRC.

For those who can't be bothered with all this *gapping* and *indexing*, try this thing:
View attachment 94822

Yes, that's the plug number for the XS650

Wierd stuff, huh?
View attachment 94823

Hi 2Many,
it'd solve the indexing problem, eh?
All manner of subsequent posts about them too but NO hard data.
Like, where do you buy them? What do they cost? Anyone tried them?

Back