Intake cleaning - need help with hardened varnish/goop removal

bkaushansky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Finishing a build and after the motor dropped into the frame and I removed the intake covers, I noticed the runner (after manifold, but before the values) had bead like varnish looking balls. About 1/16" diameter and some of the wall surface is covered is the same brown/yellow gook. Its completely hardened. Motor sat for 3 years covered up. Not about to pull the motor back out. I was thinking of closing the valves and filling the runner with 1/2 Seafoam, 1/2 gasoline and leaving overnight. Any thoughts if it will work??
Thx.

Short answer? Not a chance. Is it just varnish or glass blast beads in a varnish matrix? if it's "just varnish" maybe, if it's actual glass beads, you're betting valves won't crush them and send abrasive through the engine. Bad odds. Sometimes the hard course IS the easy course.

Reply then read LOL think above is my opinion from what I know so far (not much).

Its not glass blast beads more like tiny varnish pearls. I broke one off an crushed it easily. Gonna try to a get a few in a jar and see what solvent does.

When you lapped the valves and replaced the valve stem seals is when you should have cleaned up the rest of the head.
Now I would use a tooth brush and spray carb cleaner to scrub as much out as I can.
Leo

XSLeo, didn't open the motor as its very low mileage.

Here's a pic as best I can w/ Iphone. The black coloring is more dark brown. Maybe some backfireing into intake? No idea at this point.

IMG_3194.JPG

Back