Is this frame raked out?

Rutts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy this xs year unknown for a parts bike for my project I'm wondering if anyone can tell if the neck has been chopped by look at the picture...if anything else pops out to anyone I would be interested in their thoughts...

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160825_121713_01.jpg
    IMG_20160825_121713_01.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 210
Thanks back looks ruff! I'm wanting it for the swingarm and disc brakes... I'm told the forks are good but have screw on extensions. I'm hoping the carbs are good as well.

That's an early 70-73 frame with, 78-80, Special wheels. The headers are from a Special, 78-83, so i would be checking to see if the swing-arm is from the early model frame and what year the motor is. Check the motor ID no, to the right on the front of the motor, behind the front engine mount. Those forks are 35mm with exteeeeeeeeended forks

ID Chart .. http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Awesome thanks for the info. I was planning on using my 77 frame and the swingarm off of this bike cause it looks to be setup for the rear disk . If the forks aren't pitted I will remove the extensions and us them. And I will have to figure out what motor to use the 77 I already have or the one on this bike.

This motor could be the early 256 type, Lot more hassles with parts and shit for them. The early swing-arms, 70-73, are shorter than the later 74-83 frames

Would it be hard to rig my 77 swingarm up with the disc brakes setup off the other swingarm if it's an early 70s? I want the longer swingarm..

Not really, The swing arm on that bike has been converted from a drum brake to disk. The brake stay is on top with the disk brake and on the bottom with the drum brake.

There are some brackets that need to be installed on a drum brake frame, 74-79 standard, for your purposes.

Attachments

• DSCF7719.JPG
    DSCF7719.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF7718.JPG
    DSCF7718.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 99
the brake actuator, Not the lever, is different, it has the plunger for the master-cylinder. I haven't been able to get off my arse to take any more pics but i have this and with what you have you should be able to work things out.

Those 2 tubes on the frame, above the foot peg, are fairly critical to the master-cylinders placement. You get an idea in the second pic, show's the bolts in relation to the MC being vertical.

Attachments

• DSCF7470.JPG
    DSCF7470.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF7471.JPG
    DSCF7471.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 109
...I'm wondering if anyone can tell if the neck has been chopped by look at the picture...

Using finely calibrated bloodshot eyecrometers, it appears that the relative angle between your bike's front downtubes and forks is about 45°. If you study the sideview pics in the ID thread, and the FRAME thread, the apparent angle between the stock bikes' front downtubes and fork tubes is also very close to 45°. By that reckon, I'd say that your frame hasn't been raked...

I hopefully go to get the bike tomorrow and then I can see what I'm working with. I already have my 77 stripped all the way down to the frame. Waiting on my monster craftsmen brat kit. I was going to start cutting off un needed tabs. I'm hoping to weld sandblast and paint next weekend. Then start reassembly of the frame.

Turn out the engine is the same as my 77 so that's a plus. The forks are mint. Has a bunch of hd garbage on it that I'm going to toss... The rear swing arm looks like it was ment for the disc. And going to compare the frame tomorrow with mine to see it anything other then the rear has been chopped.

Back