It's gotten out of control. Lets call it XSive.....

Patches

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Gentlemen-

Gather around, for I have an epic tale of my journey to acquire 11 XS's..... and yes, there are pictures.

It all started with a friend of a friend that I met at a local swap meet. I rolled up there on my little XS650 bobber rat bike. I pulled up to where one of my buddies had his junk and a couple people walked over to check out my bike (lovingly named "The Shitshow")and bullshit. One fella asked if it was an XS650. I told him yes, and that if he ever ran across someone looking to sell one to give me a shout. He said, "Well, it just so happens I have 12 of them in my backyard."

Me: "You've gotta be shitting me, you are a king among men." (ok, not really, that was more my inner dialog)

I was actually more like: "Well if you ever want to sell one I wold like to come over and see what you have."

He said that actually he was in some financial trouble and would like to probably sell all of them. I could already tell this guy was a wheeler dealer....... just my kinda guy..

My first thought: "Now what the hell am I going to do with 12 XS650's? I'm sure I can figure out something." :yikes:

A couple days passed, and after talking with him over the phone a couple times I ventured over to his house. Sure as shit; it was like a XS graveyard. Bikes, tanks, motors, ect everywhere. Some stuff looked better than others. This guy had so much shit, his shit had shit..... XS's, shovel heads, evo motors, 1950 harley cop bikes, pan heads, I could go on for ever. He was quite the character. There wern't quite 12 bikes, but we struck a deal and here are some pics from yesterday:

396734682.jpg

At the gas station after loading everything. You may not be able to see everything, but we have wheels, exhaust, seats and everything else stuffed between the bikes. My bed had tanks in it. I needed to stop and pick up some beverages to rehydrate after loading everything.

396734683.jpg

Here's everything as we are getting to unload it.

396734685.jpg

396734686.jpg

After everything was unloaded.

Here is the results:

10 Rollers
11 Motors (I kicked all of them and 10 had compression and one was seized.)
7 Tanks (4 are perfect 3 have dents)
5 Titles
Every motor has at least one set of carbs

No, I don't mind telling everyone what I paid for it.
For $1,900 I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Some of the cooler stuff was a XS 1 motor with compression release, some custom exhaust, a cool king and queen seat, extra sets of carbs, and some boxes I haven't even had time to look through.

This brings my total to somewhere around 15 motors, 8 titles, 13 rollers, and the list goes on and on......

I'm sure you are all wondering what the hell I going to do with all of this. I'm not going to lie. I am going to sell most of it in attempt to make a profit but still give people a good deal. I'm not trying to make a fortune or anything like that. There will be a lot of work involved. I already have an ebay store. I am going to build a motor test stand, and get everything running that I can. My real goal is go get as many of these cool little bikes back on the road as possible for others to enjoy.

For the next few weeks my free time will be spent organizing/inventorying everything. XSdave, a fellow forum member that lives right down the street has contacted me and I'm sure with his help and some of my buddies we should be able to get everything up and going. I plan on setting up all of the motors with Pamcos for the test stand, and posting videos of the motors running when the bikes or motors alone go up for sale, eventually....

Anyway, that was the tale of my journey. After we loaded everything up and drove out of the drive my first words to my buddy were, "What the hell have I just done?" :yikes: Ha!

Just another adventure in a series of adventures! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Thank you for your future efforts to get more XS 650s on the road!

When I saw that add on Craigslist, I hoped someone on this site would seize the opportunity to save those bikes from the scrap heap. Mostly I am using this site to get an 80 Special back on the road - I am not a mechanic, but have learned so much already thankyouallverymuch! I am glad I was able to help someone else.

Jeff

I have a feeling Mikes XS and 650 central are going to be gonna first name basis with me pretty soon....

I just wish I had the garage space you do, lol.

I dont know if it was the same guy, but I saw some guy selling something like 10 or 12 XS650s in Salina on Craigslist... Wonder if it was the same guy..

This was a local Wichita purchase. The guy in Salina had 6 or so and one was a GS650 and wanted $1700. I talked to him and he was not very motivated to sell. This was a while ago. The bikes that I picked up were on Craigslist under the Wichita page, but he had 2,500 out on the ad. He turned out to be a friend of a friend and we cut a deal.

Damn Patches, I've been telling my wife for years that there's a difference between
scratchin your butt and tearing a hole in it! Good on ya for supplying an XSive example!
Would make a nice story to follow: "Patches XSive Homeless Shelter" adopt a running roller and save an XS 650.....

eBay hell....Would be great to sell em as they're ready to go right here in the classifieds. Blue

Last edited:
im thinking of a gocart with a 650 motor. when your stuff goes on ebey, tell us, so we get the homie discount, eh?

im thinking of a gocart with a 650 motor. when your stuff goes on ebey, tell us, so we get the homie discount, eh?

Trust me, everyone here on the boards will get first shot at anything going up for sale. I have learned a lot from the vets around here and appreciate all of the help. Really, as far as random parts are concerned (ie lights, fenders,factory airboxes, factory exhaust, seat pans, handlebar control stuff) I'm really not interested in. If somebody needs something along those lines I will try and help them out. I'm more concerned with the core stuff for people to do a custom build, (Frames, Forks, wheels, Motors, Carbs) 99% of the time people buy a complete XS and cut everything off. I'm really more interested in selling running rollers to people that have a passion for building custom bikes that I can stay in touch with and see progress on something I helped them out with. I really don't just want to sell to any swinging dick. This is the reason for building the motor test stand and getting them running. Once you have that core piece (running motor) that's when the creative side can take over and a person can make a build their own. I'm looking forward to what will become of these bikes. :)

be carefull though. selling a vehicle to a friend/relative can be touchy. When I rejetted, and tweeked my friends 87 intruder 1400, it seemed like he didnt nderstand how much work and resaerch whent into that.

Well, hell, it puts you ahead of me. :D I've only got 6-7 and 4 or 5 extra motors. The most I ever hauled home was three at once. (but I have brought home three RZ350's and four H2 Kaws lately. :)

Well done. :)

John

Back