It's gotten out of control. Lets call it XSive.....

I'm looking for a motor. if you can give me a good enough of a deal on it i won't mine paying shipping.

Well, I kinda expected it, but my inbox is getting blown up. I will respond to everyone that sends me a PM. I have not had the time to inventory/organize anything yet. I plan on getting some of that done tomorrow. I plan on selling running rollers first off. I really don't have any interest in selling just a titled frame as they are not worth much alone, (and I only have 6) but put a running motor in it and you have a different story. Titled necks and frames come up for sale all here all of the time. I would really like to get the XS-1 motor up and going for someone that is going to do a restoration as it is the rarest motor with the compression release.

So for now I don't have any news for everyone that has PM'd me but I will write you back and for the everyone else wondering I will keep this updated.

Best,

Ryan

Nice score. I have a few spots were I was getting parts for other bikes but not a single xs and you found that many from one guy. JACKPOT!!! I don't think you will have any issues breaking even at least.

That compression release motor would be XS-2 or TX650 ('72-'73). XS-1 motors had no compression release and used 4 3-hole valve covers. The 4-hole left front valve cover was started in '72 to support that compression release and never changed back to a 3-hole cover even after the compression release was eliminated.

"Patches Running Rollers"... A Yamaha XS 650 rescue and adoption operation.

A lot more fun than a tear down part out ebay Paypal shipping fee paying operation. Blue

Blue-

I like this idea "Patches Running Rollers". It has a nice ring to it. It truly is a rescue operation. Tore apart the seized motor today. Should have a new piston and rings on the way tomorrow.

5twin-

You're right. It's an XS2 motor. I stand corrected. You are still all knowing. :wink2:

This could really be developed into an interesting thread to follow running roller bike by bike. What you start with...what goes into it and when it's decided to be ready for it's new home. I suspect that new owners will come along as rapidly as stopping points are defined and arrangements are negotiated. No doubt your following may also be a good source of parts needed as well. Could be very interestingly instructive as well.

Really good move Patches, I for one will follow it with great interest. "Sticky Perhaps"? Blue

Blue-

This is true. I'm not just selling to any Tom, Dick or Harry. To be quite frank, I really don't need the money badly. I'm looking for buyers that I think are going to do things properly. The motor that I'm currently rebuilding is going to get a complete new gasket kit, sump filter and regular oil filter, oil change, cam chain guide, brass top washers, piston and rings, and soda blast. I'm doing things right and I expect the same from the buyers. These things are not going to be dirt cheap, but the motors wont leak, and the buyers will see a video of their motor running.

MAN, I wish you were closer as I am in the market for a mid 70s one for a chop project.

im thinking of a gocart with a 650 motor. when your stuff goes on ebey, tell us, so we get the homie discount, eh?

Me and a few buds were JUST talking about this last week; front engine gocart ala mini-rat rod!

What a great find! This is certainly worth following. I, for one, want more pictures, as well!

ive got an xs2 motor with comp release and gasket kit for that i would be willing to trade for a runner. it kicks and has good compression. i dont need that particular motor, so if anyone wants to talk, pm me. sorry for the hijack, i was actually mostly talking to u, patches

I got a deal similar to that back in the mid-ninties, but no 650s. For 200, I got 4 CB350-2, one CB360, one 79 Kaw 400 triple, 2 SL350s, one 125 Suzi. At the time, I was riding my 70 CB350 in a hardtail frame and wanted the extra motors for spares. Sitting along side the skirting of a double wide mobile home. Guy was tradin' stuff for lawn mowers. Buddy bought a 72 CB750 for 125, sittin' in the chicken coop. We got it runnin after stickin a battery on it. S.O. at the time said I was crazy. And it did fill up the garage. You can't have toooo many bikes.

I had 13XSs at one time but now I'm down to 4 titled, 2 of them running and 2 in pieces. My junk pile contains 4 engines and 4 complete frames. Then there's the 2 CB450 Hondas, (1 titled, 1 for parts) 2 50cc EZ Motorbikes, one Harley-Davidson golf cart and an assortment of parts that never seem to fit anything I'm trying to build.

Yes, it's a compulsion but it's cheaper than crack.

PS. I didn't get all of mine at one stop.

Last edited:
I have a motorcycle pile too, the ones that run: '91 Honda ST1100, '84 Guzzi SP 1000, A '69 Triumph Bonneville. The ones that used to run: an Eldorado in pieces, a wrecked Ambasador with a nickel plated frame, a '74 Harley Sprint, a '72 Honda 450, A '64 Royal Enfield Interceptor, a '66 Honda CB160, 2 and a half Harley Hummers, a '86 GSXR 1100, a Honda c110, a Suzuki M15 and a little Honda 50 cc minibike. I guess that one actually runs. And a '79 XS 650 Yamaha. I'm not sure why I have these things. Probably better investment than the stock market and they're fun to look at. :bike:

Back