Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Hey Mikes Techman, here's a problem you can fix. Just now received an order from you guys. I ordered (among other stuff) 2 sidecover emblems. Imagine my surprise when I received 2 sets of 'em. Went back and looked.....

Untitled.png

Mind you, this is just a suggestion... but how about putting the word "SET" in the title instead of just the fine print that us old guys have trouble seeing. The title sez "Emblem"... singular, not "emblems"... plural. Qty 1 tells me one emblem. Pic shows 1 emblem.... not a set. It's little things like this that will save dumbasses like me unnecessary trips to the post office.
Thanks.

Yup, I’ve been well-served by XS650Direct up here in the Land of the Frozen Chosen - BUT - they do seem fairly resistant to information about parts that don’t fit properly.

Here’s another - the front timing chain guide:
- mounting holes not drilled at the proper angle.
Everyone knows this is has been an issue for years - and it still is. The issue is simple and would have NO COST to fix - I wish they would just do it.

Nonetheless, I remain of the view that we are fortunate to have a large purveyor of vintage parts that serves our bike community.

Pete

MikesXs has been following the 650 sites since the days of 650rider. Mike L used to come onto the site and would let people know when a new batch of supplies were going to arrive, he was also being engaging about products, Instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to have his input he was attacked and it got quite personal............he stopped posting..........Like him or not a resource was lost.

MikesXS has been sold a couple of times and they have always kept a lookout on the site,xs650.com...........they have had to know all of the problems people were having with products, and although their customer service has improved, (no personal experience), as per some posts, their tech answers on their site has a lot to be desired if they are answered at all..........

If there was a genuine interest to engage with a support base to use this site for feedback and enhancing their products, they would have made an effort to be more actively involved in an open manor.......People sing their praises about how customer service is good but they still use false and misleading information on their site to sell products........

I say join the site and get actively involved with the problems people are having with the products you have sold. listen and make an effort to correct some of the things that are wrong.

Tech should have introduced him/herself in a thread when he/she joined up......

Forgot to share this one. Take a Q-Tip, cut in half.....

IMG_20190412_184245.jpg

.... just happens to chuck up in a Dremel perfectly....

IMG_20190412_184342.jpg

Add a little polishing compound. Works great for those hard to reach little valve seats.

IMG_20190412_184447.jpg

Last edited:
Cut & buff on the sidecovers done. I'm nitpickin' here.... Mikes emblems... the gold finish isn't as good as the originals. A little too wavy for my likin'. Yeah... I'm being picky, they'll work just fine and overall I'm happy.
EDIT: Just wanted to add... like others, I'm very happy that we have companies like Mikes out there making parts for us. Where would we be without 'em....

IMG_20190413_152140.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that looks great! The gold emblems look really nice against the candy red. That bike is going to be absolutely brilliant out in the sun!

Btw, I have the same affliction as you. I know where all my little flaws are and my eyes go right to them. Stuff nobody else would ever even notice. Your bike is going to be a real looker! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
:"Anal I am" right now for the mechanical end of it
But this summer I'm going out to Idaho to run some hills
Every summer when I'm out touring I have some kind of trouble and when I get back I start replacing things whether needed or not "just in case"
My mother would be proud she had a little "you never know" in her

Back