Just another first build.

Progressing quite well, rd51. Meant to mention awhile back that you need to add a little dollip of grease to the spark advancer ears, where they fit into the disc's two slots. These things wear when dry...

Progressing quite well, rd51. Meant to mention awhile back that you need to add a little dollip of grease to the spark advancer ears, where they fit into the disc's two slots. These things wear when dry...

Something like dielctric grease? Would Copper anti seize work?

Looking good RD51! You moving ahead fast! I best pull my finger out!

Something like dielctric grease? Would Copper anti seize work?

I suppose you could use anything that:

- Handles the heat (don't want it to melt easily)
- Doesn't get flung-out easily (want it to stay in there and not make a mess)
- Doesn't bind the mechanism (it doesn't move much, can be thick, but must be slickery)
- Has some shock-absorbing feature

I normally use some kind of hi-temp wheel bearing grease, apply a little with a toothpick.
Also, lube the weight pivot posts...

Thanks for the tip twomanyxbs!

How does everyone feel about using these connectors? I believe this is what is used on OEM harnesses for turn signals, etc. (where multiple wires are joined together) I found a website online that sells them.

e8trtf.jpg

358ovwh.jpg

The early period originals were brass, and had a slight crimp in the barrel to retain the male bullet, like these 'singles' at MikesXS:

12-0017.jpg

But, I can't find the exact repro in the multiple barrel. Make sure that the male/female diameters match. A good crimp tool for these 'rolls' the wings into the wire. What you have will probably work fine. The ones posted by peanut are actually superior.

Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. But the ones that peanut posted don't appear to join 2 or 3 wires into 1 wire. It appears they just connect 1 wire with another wire?:shrug:

Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. But the ones that peanut posted don't appear to join 2 or 3 wires into 1 wire. It appears they just connect 1 wire with another wire?:shrug:

That's correct! For their particular 'single-connection' application, they offer a superior electrical connection and strain-relieve the connectors...

Got it. But, for connections where 2-3 wires come into 1 wire, the connectors I posted earlier will be necessary, correct?

Yep. Somewhere here is an old thread where the poster noted the website of the replica brass connectors, just can't find it. What you have is fine, they look to be tinned, so a little deoxidizing grease is prudent. Squeeze them a little to get good/tight fits. Do you have the 'good' crimper, or planning to solder?

Back at it today. Made a little more progress on the wiring. I think I'm starting to understand it a little now.

Got the tank back from having a clear coat put on it as well.

8 ga ground wire from the battery to the frame. Scraped off the powder coat.

2zjaq2c.jpg

Majority of what I did today. Been trying to keep the wire color scheme as close as i can to stock.

Red/gray wire from 7.5 amp fuse, to the red/black wire on the kill switch. From red/white wire on the kill switch, a red/white wire coming back into the starter solenoid (bypassing OEM safety relay) with another red/white wire tied in, going to the ignition coil, with a piggyback spade connector to the PAMCO.

My only concern is the wires on the kill switch. They are using 18 ga wire; will that be enough for the PAMCO, and ignition coil?

Blue and white wire from the starter solenoid, to the blue and white wire on the starter button. Black wire from starter button to ground.

2qd7mna.jpg

343n715.jpg

Few pictures of the piggy back spade connector set up.

2uq2ntj.jpg

ohld8h.jpg

A shot of the "flex loom" I started using. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use this though, since there are some wires that need to exit before the neck of the frame (where all of the wires from the handlebar will enter) For example, the red/white wire going to the coil.

2eyx2xw.jpg

As requested by Airwolfie....

33jojh5.jpg

2vdohfb.jpg

e5k19k.jpg

258zfb6.jpg

That looks so good!! Well done bud, I think you nailed it!!

Thanks Wolfie! I think the brown wrap on the headers will really add a nice touch as well. Can't decide if I want to run a 2-1 though.

I'm itching to finish this thing now! My goal is to have it done by March, as a birthday gift to myself :bike:

Pulled the carbs apart I bought a while back to make sure they were all clean inside.

2ex4wnt.jpg

Had the tops and bar powdercoated. Changed my mind on the bowls Lex (for now :laugh:)

2rdhzf8.jpg

Forgot that I need to check the float height :doh: I'll be doing that this weekend. Going to start researching jetting as well. Thinking up 2 on the pilot and 1 on the main?

Black heat shrink on the coil wires so the bright yellow doesn't stand out.

v3zlmu.jpg

Heat shrink on the entrances and exits of the frame.

293evza.jpg

2ppzytj.jpg

Found some cool little sticky zip tie anchors to organize the wiring somewhat.

2hfmeci.jpg

Stainless bolts for the handlebar risers now.

122bw4j.jpg

Picked up some spark plugs today, and the carb holders from JBM industries showed up. I noticed the packing slip said "BS34CV carb holders." I requested BS38CV holders. Emailed JBM to see if there is a typo on the packing slip or not. They said to try them out, so we'll see tomorrow if they are the right ones.

i3ff3d.jpg

Today I hooked up the postive and negative cables on the battery. Tested voltage at the switch - 13.1 volts. Turn the key, 13.1 V at the fuse block. Checked voltage at the coil- 0 volts. Flipped the kill switch to the run posistion - 13.1 volts at both sides of the coil. Good start!

wow that is exceptional ! love the way everything looks so clean and organized and well thought out. The carbs look great with the discrete powdercoat

Really inspiring work and great pics too.!

Did you solder the crimp connections ? its a ball ache but you'll never regret it.:wink2:

Thanks bornleader and peanut!

Peanut- have not been soldering :eek: I actually don't know how to solder, asked my boss to show me how so I'll be learning soon!

Sounds crazy but I think I'm actually going to wire it up "temporarily" and make sure everything works and that I have everything In correctly. Then I plan on using deutsch plugs once I figure out where I can and can't use them.

Back