Just rode home a 82 xs650 (PICS added)

The reason they wouldn't spend it is the same reason they'd never eat out when they can dine on Ramen at home.

Harley stuff is always overpriced anyways. Forward controls arelike 3-4 times the price of metrics for example.

And what's the point of telling him that?

Welcome, glad you got the bike. Sometimes it's worth a little more to have a known runner. Get 'em to show you all these $800 runners.

Get one of the manuals, then pull the right side cover and check the pawl adjustment at the end of the shift drum. Your problem could be that simple-if it's out of adjustment it may not move the shift forks quite enough. :)

John
agreed, the shifting problem sounds like it may be out of adjustment

Attachments

• gear slector.JPG
    gear slector.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 109
As far as manuals go I like the factory books. I need just a coiple more to have a complete set from 70 to 83. I have The Clymer book, not bad, a few mistakes here and there. I might get a Haynes book Just so when some one has a question and has the Haynes book I can look in it and better answer the question.

Word on the street is that these bikes handle like crap without a front fender or a fork brace. I would get one on ASAP.

($1100 for that bike is a hellofa deal in my part of the world)

And yet, just off the top of craigslist I found this: 1981 XS650 5k miles perfect runner $1200. (For Hooktool) My only point was that it's a location thing, and sometimes what is a good deal elsewhere is surprising. I lived in Florida and know what scoots go for down there and he made a good purchase, the rest was merely observation.

The reason they wouldn't spend it is the same reason they'd never eat out when they can dine on Ramen at home.

Proving once again that your ability to make sweeping generalizations about people you don't know is only outdone by your lack of anything remotely resembling intelligent repartee.

Back