kick start problem xs650

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs650 it was a summer project that took longer than i expected, but i am almost done with it... the bike runs good...when i go to kick start the bike sometimes the kicker will go down so smooth and the bike will start on the first shot. However, sometimes when i go to kick the bike ,the kicker will go halfway down and stop/lock up...you almost brake your ankle. If i release the kicker and let it go back up to the top and then kick it again its smooth and the bike will start....any ideas?

i would guess that the teeth on kicker axle are broken, or on the gear itself, but someone else may have a better idea, i am still pretty new to these bikes. good luck, let me know what it is

someone told me that the kicker is attached to the clutch basket...but i didnt understand that...and i was looking it up in the shop manual and could find how to adjust the clutch basket?

yeah mine kicked like that. you are just fighting compression. i recommend you wear a pair of boots with a well pronounced heel and just kick the shit outta it every time. besides chicks dig a bike that gets kick started. yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh :cool:

As with most bikes there's a technique to kick starting them which is usually particular to that make and model of bike. Most who kickstart the XS650 push the lever slowly until they feel the compression stroke then kick hard through the compression, but it takes practice. I've found its easier to kick start standing next to the bike rather than sitting on it.

Video if me awkwardly starting my bike while sitting on it:

Probably the better way to start an XS650:

I.

My 750cc kicks back if you dont give it all you got.

I have a sore leg (slight limp) to prove it.

Seems worse when the engine is cold.

John

I cant believe that the compression is that strong, so that it locks up the kicker. I can kick it two times smooth snd then the third time it locks up..i release it and then its smooth and starts up...why on the videos do all the biks start on the first shot? must be the camera...

probably time to have looky see under the clutch cover. Check the order of the parts on the kick start shaft, easy to get em wrong. I pulled one with an electric start problem, found chunks of the drive line shock springs from the back of the clutch basket stuck in the E start gears.

i am kinda new to this....can you explain that again? i have the 1980 service manual...i see the kick starter on the right side of the bike and the clutch cover on the left side..so i pull off the cover on th right to see the kicker shaft?

Yes the right hand cover, where the clutch and kick start shaft and gears live. The clutch ramp ball and cable enter on the LH side.

when i pull off the cover what am looking for? in the service manual i see a few of the clutch adjustments but am i looking to adjust the clutch or if the kicker shaft is put together wrong? do u have to replace the gasket on the cover once its removed?

Well I am not sure what you will be looking for, maybe it will be obvious? Yes you will most likely trash the gasket and the cover holds engine oil. It can be stuck on pretty good. Note that a few front bolts have copper washers because they seal oil passages. Couple of thwacks with a rubber hammer then work around with a couple of putty knifes and whack the end that is opening to rock the other end of the cover open is pretty normal. Does your e-start work or don't you have one?
you dont have to remove the oil screen cover.
Remove foot peg, brake lever, and kick start lever first.

You'd probably want it to start on the first kick then...

"...why on the videos do all the biks start on the first shot? must be the camera..."

Re-takes... lots of them... :)

Actually my engine and that other guys ones have been recently rebuilt, might have something to do with it.

I.

I pulled one with an electric start problem, found chunks of the drive line shock springs from the back of the clutch basket stuck in the E start gears.

I wish I had as many xs's as you do. You have an enviable life, wood heat and an about 50 xs's to do all kinds of work on. That's all I could want.

Oh the horror, I have to work EVERY Saturday! And today I will be forced to go rock climbing with the woman next door, Devils Lake state park is over 2 miles away. No I don't have 50 XSs only 12 or so and just 7 titled bikes. To the best of my memory I have never bought a running XS650. Got the 1100 Shadow out Monday and put on about 100 miles. This has been by far the best fall weather we have ever had in Wisconsin. Didn't even have to light a fire last night. I get up early every morning to have coffee with my wife before she heads off to work. Well enough whining, and back to a carb overhaul.
Sorry for the heist.

To make up for my previous off topic wander here's some pics.
on reassembly it helps to use the kick arm to rotate the shaft till it goes all the way in.
Line up the the two spring ends slide the shaft in. then rotate it till the sector on the arm can drop in to the area where it travels.
I think the tension of the "clip" that holds the Bendix may be your issue, a search will reveal some previous discussions on that. I believe XSjohn will weigh in on those discussions.

XSkicker6.JPG

XSkicker1.JPG

XSkicker5.JPG

XSkicker2.JPG

This bike may have had an "incident" in it's past, You think?
But I think the motor is a runner!

Back