kick starter lever

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
I have a issue were my 1980 factory xs650 kick starter lever pedal keeps hitting my carb filter and crushing it (its a big aftermarket pedel that cam with the motor). So either i have to get a shorter kick starter lever or change the pedal. However I dont think I can disconnect the pedal from the lever, I will have to replace the complete lever arm with pedal. Can i use a shorter kick starter lever and will it effect kick starting the bike?

I hope i explained myself???

Any advice?

No dont have any pictures...sorry....However its a standard kick start lever on a 1980 XS650. Because i have a large bear claw pedal on the kick start lever it hits the air filter and dents it. so i think i have to either chnage the lever or pedal. But i dont think the pedal can be disconnected from the lever...

Dude Im confused......

you can have a standard XS650 kick lever

......or

you can have one with a "large bear claw pedal"

but you CANT have both.

If its got a different pedal on it then its been cut and rewelded like that.

Here is my kicker.....its been cut and welded:

21796_3711747171576_227921698_n.jpg

Here is a stock kicker:
Wally_XS650_2.jpg

My advice.....just snag a stock kicker of ebay.

.....or

cut that one off and have someone reweld a different style pedal on....that wont smash yo shit.

Sorry for the confusion... Yes, i have a large bear claw pedal installed on a standard arm and the claw keeps hitting the filter causing it to get smashed up. I dont think the claw can be removed from the arm.....Even if i order a factory kick start lever with the rubber head will still hit the filter.... I guess i will have my old lever cut down a few inchs and use that...the picture above with the bear claw is what i have...thanks...John

If that's your bike in the pic A stock lever won't hit that air filter. The stock rubber part is much smaller than that big pedal is thick.
On the early models the kick lever was straight, The later models the lever bends in toward the engine to give a bit more clearance for your leg.
If you look close at that lever in the pick you can see it's bent in a bit. Just bend it out a bit.
I would take it off, lay it on a flat surface with the pedal flat on the surface. Heat the lever right where the bend is. Hit with a hammer to straighten. When the lever is straight let it cool and reinstall.
A shorter lever will be harder to kick the bike over with.
Leo

today i took off the bear claw pedal and lever... no problems came off fast... so now i am waitng for the new factory lever .....its in the mail

I will sell the bear claw pedal....Anyone interested....Best offer plus shipping...black and chrome... email me at uknowme2good@aol.com for pictures and more information...John

Back