kickstarting

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a new battery coming in. I've cleaned the tank and changed the oil. I've also cleaned the carburetors. My bike is a very neglected 1978 XS 650 Special. Is there anything else I should do before I try to start her? I've read other people check points and other things. I just want to get her started first.

check the valves,. cam chain tension.
Don't just start a sleeping bike. how long has it been sitting, and why?

It's been sitting at least 10 years. I think it was forgotten. One of those "lost in transit" bikes". Stored somewhere and never retrieved.

If it has been sitting for 10 years, take the time and remove the top oil feed tube from the front and top of the motor. Get 10W motor oil, which is very light weight. Slowly feed it into the top of the motor where the oil feed banjo bolts came out. Kick the motor over slightly while doing this and run a half quart through it. This will get oil to the top of the motor. 10 years means its dry. Kicking it doesn't get the the oil pump working good enough to get oil to the top of the motor and you don't want to dry fire it.

I am sure lots of guys will said they did, but I like to go with being cautious and not mess up or shave years off something that could be prevented.

Back