Lane splitting in NJ - petition

Maurice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

let's join the rest of the civilized world and recognize this practice as it should. I've split lanes/filtered for years before moving to the US and this has always left me scratching my head as to why it was not legal (except in CA)...

Don't have to live in NJ to sign here, I'll gladly do the same in your state when it's done.

Thanks!

It certainly looks that way until you've done it. We're not talking about weaving between vehicles going 60+ mph, that is not what it's about. Watch the video, better yet travel to a place where it's legal and see for yourself. I contend it's actually safer when done properly.

I'm not sure why anyone would compare it with texting while driving?

Oh, I'm sure it looks good from the biker's perspective. I've done it, but only in urban super-congested stopped traffic. But, that was before mobile phones and zippy disposable sub-compacts driven by lane-splitting kids listening to 105db music.

Not a good idea out here. Big trucks, dain-brammaged retirees, cell/texting soccer moms, lost rubber-necking tourists. Don't want all those visiting tourist harley riders getting mouthfulls of my dually fenders...

Look, I'll take being allowed to filter between stopped traffic. Any day. It's way better than standing in traffic, stopped, idling an air-cooled machine. No one is advocating splitting lanes while traffic is moving at a good pace, it's pointless.

I've learned to ride in Europe where it's allowed. Heck, encouraged. You don't split lanes when cars are moving, you go with the flow. As soon as everybody stops, cars move over and let you split, actually. Done it for hundreds of miles (wait, no, kilometers), only crashed once because of my own stupidity and it was minor. I rode every day, winter, summer, city, country, logged a fair distance in a place where roads are narrow and drivers angry.

I know, I should move back there, right? Well, over here my commute is only backroads, I have it good, it's never congested, gorgeous scenery, this doesn't affect me at all. I'm just trying to let you all know about something that could make life better for everyone...

Look, I'll take being allowed to filter between stopped traffic. Any day. It's way better than standing in traffic, stopped, idling an air-cooled machine. No one is advocating splitting lanes while traffic is moving at a good pace, it's pointless.

Agreed. I'd like to have that legal option in those urban environments.

...As soon as everybody stops, cars move over and let you split...

Out here, as soon as everybody stops, car doors fly open and tourists bail-out, the econoboxes jockey for position, and curbside parked cars suddenly come to life. A unique case study.

I suppose that municipalities could reserve the right to permit or prohibit this, and post appropriate signs. But that would change the advocacy logic to one of budgeting for those signs.

I suppose that if this was proposed with certain opportunities to collect stiff fines, local governments may jump on it...

Agreed. I'd like to have that legal option in those urban environments.

Out here, as soon as everybody stops, car doors fly open and tourists bail-out, the econoboxes jockey for position, and curbside parked cars suddenly come to life. A unique case study.

I suppose that municipalities could reserve the right to permit or prohibit this, and post appropriate signs. But that would change the advocacy logic to one of budgeting for those signs.

I suppose that if this was proposed with certain opportunities to collect stiff fines, local governments may jump on it...

LOL, "case study", can't imagine :D

nj allows air cooled bikes to ride on the shoulder at a safe speed during high traffic areas but not actual lane splitting

Maurice while I don't care one way or another about lane splitting, I'll point to the hazard.
In all the other countries they are accustomed to it and act accordingly. Here they aren't.
And good luck with trying to educate anyone that doesn't ride a bike about the practice.
I have had cars try to move into my lane in slow/stalled traffic while sitting besides them.
Rule of the road is the biggest wins.

could someone please explain what it is and the difference .:wink2:

I take it this only applies to motorised two wheeled vehicles yes ?

Is filtering when you are allowed to thread your way between vehicle lanes through stationary traffic ? and splitting is when you filter through moving traffic between vehicle lanes ?

I work on the principle of expecting everyone else on the road to do something unpredictable dangerous and stupid like stick their arms out the windows or suddenly change lanes etc so I wouldn't split but in stationary traffic I might be tempted to slowly filter but it would have to be at walking pace in the UK as lanes are very tight.

The problem these days is that small cars can accelerate and manoever across lanes so quickly that bikes often have no chance to take avoiding action.

Maurice while I don't care one way or another about lane splitting, I'll point to the hazard.
In all the other countries they are accustomed to it and act accordingly. Here they aren't.
And good luck with trying to educate anyone that doesn't ride a bike about the practice.
I have had cars try to move into my lane in slow/stalled traffic while sitting besides them.
Rule of the road is the biggest wins.

If you never start, people will never be accustomed to it.

You raise a good point, in that driver's ed. in this country is a bit...

Again it depends where you live. Some places it's moot, as long as traffic moves over 40mph there's no point. Here in NJ/NY there are places where it makes complete sense since you can have long lines at lights and backed up highways. Again, it is not the case for my own commute/riding, but a few miles east it would be so nice. And people do it anyway...

Also, you have the vigilante/self-righteous/jealous types everywhere, even in Europe I've seen them, mad at you just for your ability to move. The thing is, when traffic is backed up they have very limited maneuvering ability, you usually just ride around, done it countless times. After a while it becomes a reflex. Just because you're allowed to ride between cars doesn't mean you shouldn't pay attention. You learn to pay special attention to people that leave space in front of them, because they are the ones that have the most space to come into your path...

could someone please explain what it is and the difference .:wink2:

I take it this only applies to motorised two wheeled vehicles yes ?

Is filtering when you are allowed to thread your way between vehicle lanes through stationary traffic ? and splitting is when you filter through moving traffic between vehicle lanes ?

I work on the principle of expecting everyone else on the road to do something unpredictable dangerous and stupid like stick their arms out the windows or suddenly change lanes etc so I wouldn't split but in stationary traffic I might be tempted to slowly filter but it would have to be at walking pace in the UK as lanes are very tight.

The problem these days is that small cars can accelerate and manoever across lanes so quickly that bikes often have no chance to take avoiding action.

Peanut, it's legal in your country!! Now I take it you ride mostly for leisure, in which case you don't NEED to do it. I traveled to London this summer and it brought back fond memories of city riding when I saw all the 2 wheelers zooming through traffic.

To answer your questions:
- filtering is riding through lanes at a red light for example. Everybody is stopped, you go the the light, by the take cars take off you usually are at the next light already.
- splitting is riding on 2/3 lane (in the same direction) highways where traffic may slow way down or stop altogether, then you just keep going. Rule of thumb is to not go more than 5mph than moving traffic when it's real slow (around 15/20mph). Anything over that is risky IMO. Also, when traffic is completely stopped you don't do more than 20/25mph either, usually less. Complete jams are usually short so it does not take long to pass even going really slow.

Now in big cities, London Paris etc., you will see riders seemingly going fast between moving traffic. This is because people are used to it. Commuters usually couldn't care less. Incidents are rare, I actually never witnessed any, besides my own (I was filtering, needed to change lanes so I looked back and old lady in front decided to stop for no reason... broken clutch lever, shop just down the street had one, still got to work on time; was riding a 750 at the time).

Drivers apparently get used to this pretty fast. I wouldn't have done it back in Colorado, but here in San Diego people seem to expect it - heck many folks even shift their cars over in the lane so I can pass by.:thumbsup:

I went from "I would never do that, it's crazy" to "absolutely, it should be your right." That said, I mostly "filter" rather than lane split (too much can go wrong at high speed) and try to always be considerate of other drivers. It takes a bit of practice, and when done correctly should not impact the commute for 4-wheel drivers in any way (whether they believe that or not). Unfortunately I sometimes see motorcyclists doing things that would piss people off, and that gives all of us a bad rap.

What is lane splitting? Does that mean a bike driving on the white dotted line? I cant believe that is legal anywhere.

In California it is called lane sharing. Most drivers are kind and allow for room. I was told if you are involved in an accident it becomes your fault. It is meant for traffic jams but idiots take it to a higher level by increasing speeds.

Posted via Mobile

I call it WHITE LINE DANCING. When you live here on the east coast NY-NJ-PA cars don't look out for bike riders and me I have been put in the grass more times than I wanted too. You have to approach this two ways because if the traffic is going slow I am dancing so the bike doesn't over heat and I don't get ass end hit. But now there are guys doing 80 plus going down a highway that traffic is moving fine and just cut back and fourth flying buy. That I don't agree with. So you got a tough fight on your hands.
Try driving in STATENISLAND for a day and get back to me.
I had to pick up a bike a couple weeks ago and got hit 4 times. Now mine you I have a bike on a trailer behind my car ( BIG BLACK BUSA ) first lady said she didn't see bike. Second lady driving school bus with kids in it said she looked down for a min. and thought light changed. Third hit was a young boy and he told me he didn't judge distance right. Fourth guy said I was going to slow. HAHA Only damage I got was they all hit the bike ramp. Boy I couldn't get off that island fast enough. So this is why guys jump from lane to lane too many morons out there.

Lane splitting is dangerous, that's why it is illegal. Someone could open their door while stopped in traffic, or move their car over to get a better look ahead, then bang, your in an accident. I have been in a vehicle while stopped for construction, and had people on bikes go up the shoulder or between vehicles like its their right to do so. What is it about 2 wheels that should allow you to just be able to go right by everyone? It's bullshit if you ask me, being a motorcyclist does not give you more right to the road than anyone else. It's also a good way to create road rage and cause issues there. I can't say I will never do it, but I don't feel like I am entitled to do it whenever possible.

How many of you have had a car pass you on the highway and not get all the way across the center line while passing. If you have had this happen to you, you didn't like it did you? Had it happen to me yesterday and the lady pulled back in the lane about 10 ft in front of me.

It's just lane splitting but with cars.

Posted via Mobile

Back