long trips on your xs's

Looking at your itinerary I have to say that the best I can do is about twice as long as Google maps indicates. If it says three hrs, it'll take six. This is going at the speed limit and taking a break every 100 mi. or so. I suppose the lost time is in the breaks. But - you will want to slow down unless your point is just to cover ground. In that case you need to triple or quadruple it or...

Attachments

• DSCI0191.jpg
    DSCI0191.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 216
Looking at your itinerary I have to say that the best I can do is about twice as long as Google maps indicates. If it says three hrs, it'll take six. This is going at the speed limit and taking a half hr break every 100 mi. or so. I suppose the lost time is in the breaks. But - you will want to slow down unless your point is just to cover ground. In that case you need to triple or quadruple it or...

I don't take those times to much to heart. I basically wrote them down as a general idea of how it would go under ideal conditions, although highly unlikely. I will be doing the trip in about a 2-3 week period, perhaps longer if I can. What's the point of going on a trip and not getting to check out a place you've never been?! As of now I'm planning on a "go with the flow" type deal, those are all places I would like to check out and hope to get to. BTW love the bike and setup!

What's the point of going on a trip and not getting to check out a place you've never been?!

I thought you might be visiting people at your destinations and just wanted to "get there." I wanted to warn you that if you take the times literally you might get there late :)

That thing around the pack is a German army poncho. I had one years ago and was ecstatic to find another one in Austin. The U.S. ponchos I've seen are just rubberized on one side and it flakes off to boot. There's another kind that's just silicone sprayed and rags out from wind. But the German one is killer. I was having minor stability problems until I moved the pack forward to over the passenger seat.

I thought you might be visiting people at your destinations and just wanted to "get there." I wanted to warn you that if you take the times literally you might get there late :)

That thing around the pack is a German army poncho. I had one years ago and was ecstatic to find another one in Austin. The U.S. ponchos I've seen are just rubberized on one side and it flakes off to boot. There's another kind that's just silicone sprayed and rags out from wind. But the German one is killer. A lot of the stuff is camping supplies so if you aren't going to camp you can reduce the size by about half. I was having minor stability problems until I moved the weight forward to over the passenger seat.

I was planning for hotels, but ill be bringing a small one person tent and sleeping bag just in case funds start to get low. I'll have to check out the German army ponchos then. Anything else for an idea as to what I should bring? I'll be bringing a small tool bag as well as some small spare parts, i.e chain, throttle cable, clutch cable, etc. It's a long way away but I like to have somewhat of a plan

^I stayed in motels too this last leg. Because I had been living so primitively up in the Bakken, no running water even. It was time for a little bit of civilization.

For tools I started with the most basic stuff, wrenches but no sockets for example. That will handle emergencies and if you want more you can buy it on the road, plus that thing becomes a souvenir too. I also took small parts that I might need that would have to be ordered if I needed them, like spare carb float needles and seats. If it's small and doesn't weigh anything and you might need it, might as well take it.

^I stayed in motels too this last leg. Because I had been living so primitively up in the Bakken, no running water even. It was time for a little bit of civilization.

For tools I started with the most basic stuff, wrenches but no sockets for example. That will handle emergencies and if you want more you can buy it on the road, plus that thing becomes a souvenir too. I also took small parts that I might need that would have to be ordered if I needed them, like spare carb float needles and seats. If it's small and doesn't weigh anything and you might need it, might as well take it.

Haha I hear that, and thank you!. I was planning on wrenches and allen keys (spelling might be off), and then spare cables, seeing as they weigh next to nothing

I'd like to hear stories about long trips you guys have taken on your bikes and problems you ran into.

Furthest I've traveled was on a 91 rigid Honda vt1100 was around a 1000 miles into New Mexico/Arizona..planned on going all the way to the West Coast..back wasn't playing nicely.

In '71 my father rode an XS1B from central Georgia to California. He put 9,500 miles
on the bike in one trip. Broke a cam chain in Kansas and camped 2 days in a wheat field behind the Yamaha shop while they replaced the cam chain and exhaust valves.
Then he was on his way.

Well, new member here!! I made a plan to ride a bike from NY down to Kentucky, then into Florida, and loop around the tip and head back up into Colorado. no real schedule, no real plan. I happened across a '72 XS650 a couple weeks ago and picked it up as soon as I could, right now I've got the bike's back end torn apart and awaiting the hardtail in the mail. I've got a few wrench sets, a backpack full of clothes, and a tent to bring with me..Oh, and of course, my GoPro to document the adventure.

I came across this thread and figured it would be a good place to update my tales of exploration as I go.

Welcome to the forum, Rick. This is THE place for info on the repairing, riding and general fun of these bike's. That is quite a trip your planning, hope your butt is made of iron. Esp. with a hardtail. This forum was started after one before it had, shall I say, difficultie's. There are some article's from the other forum in the archive's I believe. Travis, the moderator/ owner is a good guy, and fair. I, myself, have kinda abanded my XS for some vintage Harley's. But, the XS is what got me started after a hiatis of about 15 years without riding.So, I have a special spot for these bike's.
So again, welcome, and most importantly, have a very safe AND fun trip!!!Gordon.:bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

Well, new member here!! I made a plan to ride a bike from NY down to Kentucky, then into Florida, and loop around the tip and head back up into Colorado. no real schedule, no real plan. I happened across a '72 XS650 a couple weeks ago and picked it up as soon as I could, right now I've got the bike's back end torn apart and awaiting the hardtail in the mail. I've got a few wrench sets, a backpack full of clothes, and a tent to bring with me..Oh, and of course, my GoPro to document the adventure.

I came across this thread and figured it would be a good place to update my tales of exploration as I go.

You may be wise to remove the rear shocks/springs, and replace with steel bar. Ride around for a few weeks, take it on various roads at high speed................see if you enjoy the ride before cutting up your bike. I've heard there are a lot of potholes this year due to the nasty winter.

Back in 2012 me and three friends rode through europe. Around 2500 miles, 11 days and 10 countries. (50 or so gas stations)

I have rigid xs650, which I finished building a couple of weeks before departure so some problems could have easily avoided with some proper shake-down runs instead of a really long one far away from home.

Sure I was sore, but well worth it and we're planning on going on another trip similar this year. Still on the same bike.

If you want the full ride report it's on chopcult with a lot of pics:
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22496&highlight=european+hell

I happened across a '72 XS650 a couple weeks ago and picked it up as soon as I could, right now I've got the bike's back end torn apart and awaiting the hardtail in the mail.

Please don't cut up an XS2. :doh:

You can soften the hardtail ride if you run a 16" harley-type safety rim with lockbead and run 16 psi tire pressure, like they did 50+ years ago...

retiredgentleman- I've heard that strutting a soft tail bike rides and feels different than the same bike with a hardtail; from what I've gathered, the struts just send the shock straight up into the bike and into your back whereas the hardtail itself has a bit of flex in it, coupled with a spring or airbagged seat, which is why I decided to just go ahead and do it....or have I been mislead?

Mick71b- why do you say "no" to the chop?

Not to answer for Mick71b but I'd like to try to give a few reasons not to chop up an old frame. First, being an early one, there aren't many around. This makes them very collectable. This also makes the early ones worth more $$$. Many of the clan also think they are the best looking of the series. I'm sure there are more but, it's a start.

retiredgentleman- I've heard that strutting a soft tail bike rides and feels different than the same bike with a hardtail; from what I've gathered, the struts just send the shock straight up into the bike and into your back whereas the hardtail itself has a bit of flex in it, coupled with a spring or airbagged seat, which is why I decided to just go ahead and do it....or have I been mislead?

Mick71b- why do you say "no" to the chop?

"whereas the hardtail itself has a bit of flex in it"....................I think you've been reading to many internet site threads. There's always going to be guys that tell you how great hardtails ride and handle..................they want to convince other people, so they will believe it themselves.

If hardtails rode and handled so well, why did all of the manufacturers switch over to swing arm suspension in the 1940/1950's. Why do you hear things like "lower the rear tire pressure"? Lowering tire pressure makes bikes handle like crap.

A hardtail could be OK for just putting around town, but for a long trip its just a real bad idea.

Not to answer for Mick71b but I'd like to try to give a few reasons not to chop up an old frame. First, being an early one, there aren't many around. This makes them very collectable. This also makes the early ones worth more $$$. Many of the clan also think they are the best looking of the series. I'm sure there are more but, it's a start.

yes I agree . There are so few good early stock bikes left now it seems a shame to chop such a lovely example.

I expect there are collectors all over the World that would pay a lot to get an unmolested original XS2 in such good condition. One of our members was in the process of importing one to Australia last week I believe , thats how rare they are outside the US

WELL, ALL i KNOW IS THAT A FEW YEARS AGO I RAN A '56 Pan WITH A HARDTAIL, AND IT WASN'T A WHOLE LOT OF COMFORT. Sorry about the caps, was stuck on, damn coffee get's into everything. I was in my mid thirty's then,so, FWIW. The purist's here are correct in that there aint many un-molested XS'S left, never mind early one's. But, I am not going to tell you NOT to hardtaill it, it's YOUR bike now.
I guess what is important is to have a very SAFE and well Documented trip. I for one am interested in reading about the up's and down's along the way. I hope your planning on leaving in April or even May so the weather would be better. BTW, I had a Mustang King and Queen seat on the Pan, and it did not help much, esp.:yikes: when I hit a pot hole!

Back