Lucky's First Build

MontuckyLucky

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is my first go at this kind of project, I used to rebuild dirtbikes and such when I was younger, but I wanted to make sure I actually got this thing going before I made a thread considering I am very skilled at never finishing anything.

Anyway, bought a '72 xs2 for $800 in Denver and hauled it home. Doesn't run, but has compression, no seat and a fiberglass tracker tank that leaks like a sieve. Alot off that part were just hand tight on it like the guy may have thrown the pieces on from his garage floor right before I got there. He had never ridden it either. I didn't really realize I didn't have the best working space until I got home and started spreading everything out. But Im going for a flat tracker vintage kind of look and I have about no clue what Im doing. I already appreciate the help I have gotten. Heres my first pic.

Attachments

• _DSC0033.jpg
    _DSC0033.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 210
So after I stripped it I blasted the frame hoping that I would get a raw look with blued welds and yeah it just looks like flat grey with terrible welds. So Im filling a few of the holes on the frame and detabbing it. Haven't decided on a color for powder coating yet but probably will just go with a steel look.

The tuffside seat to my dismay, I don't see how its supposed to fit at all, so I am going to have to cut the frame up so the seat fits.

I took the tank to a local custom shop and had them finish it with a special flat grey over gloss with gloss blue stripes. They also filled in the indents where the emblems go. Its a '74 tank, and I have to figure out how to replace the lugs the prior owner cut off.

Last but definitely not least I got some Gordonscott high pipes that just showed up. They look awesome like I expected. Can't wait to Mock everything up.

Attachments

• _DSC0046.jpg
    _DSC0046.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 233
  • _DSC0047.jpg
    _DSC0047.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 247
That exhaust system is badass! Just make sure you finish this one, looks like a hell out a start:thumbsup: can't wait to see it mocked up

Posted via Mobile

Got my rear wheel done today. Wheelsets are ready to roll, pun intended.:laugh: Any ideas for good sprockets? I may just clean this one up.

Attachments

• _DSC0001.jpg
    _DSC0001.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 221
Those are some nice tyres! Could you give brand and spec's?

If the sprocket seems OK, then use it. If you are replacing the front one. replace the rear one too. Something about uneven wear.

Shanko Trailmasters Rear is 120/80-18 Front 110/80-19 They are a kind of cross over tire. They are pretty cheap but had the sizes I wanted that were available I was thinking Continental Twin duros but they are huge.

2.15 Black rims and stainless spoke kits from Mikes xs. Powdercoated the original hubs, all new seals and bearings.

hey, just stumbled across your build. you mentioned needing the tank mounting bits. i have these that i took off my bike. they are in good condition, i was careful to only drill out the spot welds. anyway, you can have em for the price of postage if you need them. otherwise they will go back into my growing pile of "im going to try to sell/give away" bits.
IMG_20140313_234038_722_zps842f55e2.jpg

^^ I may get back to you on those, right now I made a angle piece that holdss the tank there, but not sure how well it will works, Now that the fab on the frame is done, Im sending it off to powdercoat tomorrow and actually going to start putting this thing back together!:bike:

Attachments

• frame pic.jpg
    frame pic.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Another frame pic.jpg
    Another frame pic.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 153
So I have things going back together, just ordered a carb rebuilt kit, all new swingarm bushings and bolt set up. New headset. Time to get this guy running. Also I ordered a hughs Pamco ignition. With that ignition it means I can no have a battery right?

Attachments

• Bike mock up.jpg
    Bike mock up.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 174
Back